any os training for general dentists?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by traveljunkie1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. traveljunkie1

Dentist
    Anyone know of recommended oral surgery training programs for general dentists? I am NOT interested in OMFS residencies. I've been out of school for 2 yrs and want to expand my surgical skills within the scope of general dentistry, but I want to do it right. I've been reading about internships, but they seem directed for those interested in a backdoor to omfs residencies. I am willing to take an extended amount of time away from my associatship or even quit if need be. Thanks for the input.

2. rarm1

rarm1 Senior Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    One way to learn more oral surgery, and in addition general dentistry on special needs patients and medically compromised is to do a GPR. Only problem is they are 1 year programs. Some are very heavy in oral surgery.
    These can give you the Oral surgery you want and give you a new area of general dentistry.

An oral surgery internship is also excellent - but as you said they are generally for students looking to get into an OMS program.

There are also some CE programs, called mini internships/fellowships at various univ that give you generally 4-8 days of intense study (often 2 days once a month for 4 times a year)... I recall seeing those programs, but not where. I have seen them on many specialties and areas.

Often a local oral surgeon may allow you to spend some time with him... call and ask some.

just a few ideas

3. Rube

Rube Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I know there is free PACE CE on dentaltown on this subject. I would say didactically this counts as doing it right. Most programs I have watched cover taking a med hx/screening, technique, pharm mgt and post op care. To get your clinical experience you could volunteer at a low income clinic on a days that an OMFS is there and take out 10-20 teeth yourself and watch him work so cases (man I love to watch those guys shuck teeth) I actually think that would be the way to go short of a residency.

4. ldsmbhc

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  5. ktcook83

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    http://www.onlineoralsurgery.com/

You can still keep your job too :)

If you'd be willing to take a year off though, I agree with the above posters - find a GPR with lots of exodontia experience.

6. psiyung

psiyung 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You can also do a one year oral surgery internship program somewhere where they do a lot of bread and butter 3rds/implants. One of my friends is doing his in Long Beach California VA hospital, so you might want to look into that.