traveljunkie1

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Dentist
Anyone know of recommended oral surgery training programs for general dentists? I am NOT interested in OMFS residencies. I've been out of school for 2 yrs and want to expand my surgical skills within the scope of general dentistry, but I want to do it right. I've been reading about internships, but they seem directed for those interested in a backdoor to omfs residencies. I am willing to take an extended amount of time away from my associatship or even quit if need be. Thanks for the input.

rarm1

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
delaware
Status
Dentist
One way to learn more oral surgery, and in addition general dentistry on special needs patients and medically compromised is to do a GPR. Only problem is they are 1 year programs. Some are very heavy in oral surgery.
These can give you the Oral surgery you want and give you a new area of general dentistry.

An oral surgery internship is also excellent - but as you said they are generally for students looking to get into an OMS program.

There are also some CE programs, called mini internships/fellowships at various univ that give you generally 4-8 days of intense study (often 2 days once a month for 4 times a year)... I recall seeing those programs, but not where. I have seen them on many specialties and areas.

Often a local oral surgeon may allow you to spend some time with him... call and ask some.

just a few ideas

Rube

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
Dentist
Anyone know of recommended oral surgery training programs for general dentists? I am NOT interested in OMFS residencies. I've been out of school for 2 yrs and want to expand my surgical skills within the scope of general dentistry, but I want to do it right. I've been reading about internships, but they seem directed for those interested in a backdoor to omfs residencies. I am willing to take an extended amount of time away from my associatship or even quit if need be. Thanks for the input.
I know there is free PACE CE on dentaltown on this subject. I would say didactically this counts as doing it right. Most programs I have watched cover taking a med hx/screening, technique, pharm mgt and post op care. To get your clinical experience you could volunteer at a low income clinic on a days that an OMFS is there and take out 10-20 teeth yourself and watch him work so cases (man I love to watch those guys shuck teeth) I actually think that would be the way to go short of a residency.

About the Ads

psiyung

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
Status
You can also do a one year oral surgery internship program somewhere where they do a lot of bread and butter 3rds/implants. One of my friends is doing his in Long Beach California VA hospital, so you might want to look into that.

About the Ads