any os training for general dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traveljunkie1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of recommended oral surgery training programs for general dentists? I am NOT interested in OMFS residencies. I've been out of school for 2 yrs and want to expand my surgical skills within the scope of general dentistry, but I want to do it right. I've been reading about internships, but they seem directed for those interested in a backdoor to omfs residencies. I am willing to take an extended amount of time away from my associatship or even quit if need be. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

One way to learn more oral surgery, and in addition general dentistry on special needs patients and medically compromised is to do a GPR. Only problem is they are 1 year programs. Some are very heavy in oral surgery.
These can give you the Oral surgery you want and give you a new area of general dentistry.

An oral surgery internship is also excellent - but as you said they are generally for students looking to get into an OMS program.

There are also some CE programs, called mini internships/fellowships at various univ that give you generally 4-8 days of intense study (often 2 days once a month for 4 times a year)... I recall seeing those programs, but not where. I have seen them on many specialties and areas.

Often a local oral surgeon may allow you to spend some time with him... call and ask some.

just a few ideas

Anyone know of recommended oral surgery training programs for general dentists? I am NOT interested in OMFS residencies. I've been out of school for 2 yrs and want to expand my surgical skills within the scope of general dentistry, but I want to do it right. I've been reading about internships, but they seem directed for those interested in a backdoor to omfs residencies. I am willing to take an extended amount of time away from my associatship or even quit if need be. Thanks for the input.

I know there is free PACE CE on dentaltown on this subject. I would say didactically this counts as doing it right. Most programs I have watched cover taking a med hx/screening, technique, pharm mgt and post op care. To get your clinical experience you could volunteer at a low income clinic on a days that an OMFS is there and take out 10-20 teeth yourself and watch him work so cases (man I love to watch those guys shuck teeth) I actually think that would be the way to go short of a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.onlineoralsurgery.com/

You can still keep your job too :)

If you'd be willing to take a year off though, I agree with the above posters - find a GPR with lots of exodontia experience.

You can also do a one year oral surgery internship program somewhere where they do a lot of bread and butter 3rds/implants. One of my friends is doing his in Long Beach California VA hospital, so you might want to look into that.