any other gay acceptees out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure there are plenty

Members don't see this ad :)
Match.com: SDN version

Reactions: 7 users
I have yet to see a "any other straight acceptees?" thread out there. Perhaps there's a reason...

I say this as a friend of the LGBTQ community, and a person with many LGBTQ personal friends: no one cares. Anyone who does is an ignorant imbecile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I have yet to see a "any other straight acceptees?" thread out there. Perhaps there's a reason...

Well, that's because the entire class of 2019 must be gay!

Reactions: 3 users
This irritates me. Stop making it a thing. Don't even bother asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about you. No one cares if you're irritated and there's nothing wrong with asking.

Reactions: 9 users
It's not about you. No one cares if you're irritated and there's nothing wrong with asking.
Yah no kidding Sherlock. But why make it a thing ? Stop segregation. Adcoms don't care whether you are gay or not. It doesn't make or break your application. They accept you based on many factors, and being gay or not isn't one of them.

At first, this mockery of a question may seem like a direct contrast to the OP's thread title, but considering the fact that straight white cis males are at the top of America's social hierarchy, it would frankly be idiotic to even pose your 'straight acceptees' question. This is like asking, "Why isn't there a white history month?" Why do you think? I'll let you ponder on that question for a second, or you might need a lot more time than that since your visceral response to the OP's question was this nonsensical reply.

Yah no kidding Sherlock. But why make it a thing ? Stop segregation. Adcoms don't care whether you are gay or not. It doesn't make or break your application. They accept you based on many factors, and being gay or not isn't one of them.

I bet you think Mike Brown's case had nothing to do with race either. "Why make being a minority a thing?" We all know that we live in a post racial world where racism doesn't exist, right? 'ohhh I don't see race, I only see the human race' *violent eyeroll* HELLO? Did you even READ the OP's thread title? He's not querying whether being gay will hurt or boost his application. He's merely asking whether there are other gay acceptees, implying he HAS ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED. What's wrong with a minority trying to find others in the same boat as him/herself/themselves. Are you going to start complaining how AADSAS reports on racial statistics next, since... You know, we know that being any kind of a minority has nothing to do with anything in America. People like you make me furious. You are hijacking a thread and posting these gut-feeling responses that have absolutely zero relevancy to the OP's intent.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
At first, this mockery of a question may seem like a direct contrast to the OP's thread title, but considering the fact that straight white cis males are at the top of America's social hierarchy, it would frankly be idiotic to even pose your 'straight acceptees' question. This is like asking, "Why isn't there a white history month?" Why do you think? I'll let you ponder on that question for a second, or you might need a lot more time than that since your visceral response to the OP's question was this nonsensical reply.

I bet you think Mike Brown's case had nothing to do with race either. "Why make being a minority a thing?" We all know that we live in a post racial world where racism doesn't exist, right? 'ohhh I don't see race, I only see the human race' *violent eyeroll* HELLO? Did you even READ the OP's thread title? He's not querying whether being gay will hurt or boost his application. He's merely asking whether there are other gay acceptees, implying he HAS ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED. What's wrong with a minority trying to find others in the same boat as him/herself/themselves. Are you going to start complaining how AADSAS reports on racial statistics next, since... You know, we know that being any kind of a minority has nothing to do with anything in America. People like you make me furious. You are hijacking a thread and posting these gut-feeling responses that have absolutely zero relevancy to the OP's intent.
Mike brown is a poor choice for your point...he robbed a store, assaulted a clerk, and assaulted an officer in the hour preceding his death

Reactions: 16 users

OP was simply asking a question. Don't turn this in to some political/social rights discussion just because you aren't progressive enough to understand the intent of the question. Getting upset just shows how homophobic you really are. If you don't like the thread, don't click on it - problem solved.

I knew this thread would get this way haha. Which is why I clicked on it.

Reactions: 15 users

Oh my god, shut up... u are the one making this into a problem. Im sure if op asked "are there any other gang members who got accepted?" you would not have given the same response, even though it is essentially the same type of question.

And for the record, your post saying "people like you make me furious" is YOU saying the same exact thing YOU just criticized.

Yes, it is unfortunate that mike brown died, although he was a criminal and a "bad person," and might have had it coming anyway. But that is not at all the point. Stereotypes are there for a reason... because they are generally true. And generally, it is seen as annoying or obnoxious when people outwardly express that they are a minority.

And MasterDental is right, people complain about segregation, but the op would be segregating himself by looking for other homosexual people who got accepted, thus being able to create their own segregated group to hang out with. I am a white male, my best friend is black, my second best friend, who is also my roommate, is Asian, and my sister is a lesbian. But for the most part, segregation is because the people within those certain "segregated" groups aren't willing to come to common terms with the people they are segregated from. for example, If you are in a gang and complain about segregation and disadvantages, then stop being so damn different then the rest of the world. The same thing goes for every minority, race, or whatever else. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with hanging out with the people most similar to you, but don't complain if you're "segregated" because they are the only people you are willing to like or get along with.

Now, to the op... yes, im sure there are plenty of gay people in dental school. However, if you are a good kid, who is nice, sociable, easy going, and easy to get along with, then there should be no reason to even ask this question, as im sure you would be a great friend and a great person to be around. So whether you are gay or not shouldn't matter, as long as you're willing to go outside the group of people you are comfortable with and be open to new friends.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh my god, shut up... u are the one making this into a problem. Im sure if op asked "are there any other gang members who got accepted?" you would not have given the same response, even though it is essentially the same type of question.

And for the record, your post saying "people like you make me furious" is YOU saying the same exact thing YOU just criticized.

Yes, it is unfortunate that mike brown died, although he was a criminal and a "bad person," and might have had it coming anyway. But that is not at all the point. Stereotypes are there for a reason... because they are generally true. And generally, it is seen as annoying or obnoxious when people outwardly express that they are a minority.

And MasterDental is right, people complain about segregation, but the op would be segregating himself by looking for other homosexual people who got accepted, thus being able to create their own segregated group to hang out with. I am a white male, my best friend is black, my second best friend, who is also my roommate, is Asian, and my sister is a lesbian. But for the most part, segregation is because the people within those certain "segregated" groups aren't willing to come to common terms with the people they are segregated from. for example, If you are in a gang and complain about segregation and disadvantages, then stop being so damn different then the rest of the world. The same thing goes for every minority, race, or whatever else. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with hanging out with the people most similar to you, but don't complain if you're "segregated" because they are the only people you are willing to like or get along with.

Now, to the op... yes, im sure there are plenty of gay people in dental school. However, if you are a good kid, who is nice, sociable, easy going, and easy to get along with, then there should be no reason to even ask this question, as im sure you would be a great friend and a great person to be around. So whether you are gay or not shouldn't matter, as long as you're willing to go outside the group of people you are comfortable with and be open to new friends.

No One could have said it any better. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user

Hahahahahaha. Your ignorance is comical. "are there any other gang members who got accepted?" Are you serious????? Then you follow your ridiculous statement with some "evidence" that you aren't judgmental by listing off your friends and relatives that aren't a prospering young white male like yourself. OP WAS JUST ASKING A QUESTION??? What is so hard to understand about that? They weren't looking for sympathy or a way to segregate themselves. They weren't even asking if it was going to be an issue, so wtf is the big deal? This thread exploded because of people like you and MasterDental that can't just keep their mouth shut.

Reactions: 1 users
:corny:

Hahahahahaha. Your ignorance is comical. "are there any other gang members who got accepted?" Are you serious????? Then you follow your ridiculous statement with some "evidence" that you aren't judgmental by listing off your friends and relatives that aren't a prospering young white male like yourself. OP WAS JUST ASKING A QUESTION??? What is so hard to understand about that? They weren't looking for sympathy or a way to segregate themselves. They weren't even asking if it was going to be an issue, so wtf is the big deal? This thread exploded because of people like you and MasterDental that can't just keep their mouth shut.

LOOK, another person who instructs people to keep their mouth shut but wont do it themselves... CLASSIC.

So first, the gang scenario was a pretty good comparison to the original question, just on an extreme level which most people feel strongly against.

I was in no way saying that I am not judgmental. I very much am... I was just saying that being a certain race or sexual orientation doesn't mean that you have to be segregated or confined to associating with people just like you. And I used myself as an example.

And ignorance is a funny word. Its one that everyone uses because they think it adds some intelligence and offence to their argument, while validating themselves. There was no ignorance in my post, and I actually thought I gave a quality and generally kind response to the op, so don't be such an dingus...

ANd lastly, it is not at all a big deal. Some people were being mean, so I gave my opinion on the matter. I don't care whether someone is gay or not, or if they want gay friends or not, just the nature of the question, and similar questions, are often taken a certain way and are annoying. It would be equally annoying if a white person asked the same question about whites, or if an obnoxious athlete asked the same thing about athletes, or if a straight person asked the same question. Use the search box (upper right of the page) and you will find 10 threads similar to this one, and people respond the same way...

LOOK, another person who instructs people to keep their mouth shut but wont do it themselves... CLASSIC.

So first, the gang scenario was a pretty good comparison to the original question, just on an extreme level which most people feel strongly against.

I was in no way saying that I am not judgmental. I very much am... I was just saying that being a certain race or sexual orientation doesn't mean that you have to be segregated or confined to associating with people just like you. And I used myself as an example.

And ignorance is a funny word. Its one that everyone uses because they think it adds some intelligence and offence to their argument, while validating themselves. There was no ignorance in my post, and I actually thought I gave a quality and generally kind response to the op, so don't be such an dingus...

ANd lastly, it is not at all a big deal. Some people were being mean, so I gave my opinion on the matter. I don't care whether someone is gay or not, or if they want gay friends or not, just the nature of the question, and similar questions, are often taken a certain way and are annoying. It would be equally annoying if a white person asked the same question about whites, or if an obnoxious athlete asked the same thing about athletes, or if a straight person asked the same question. Use the search box (upper right of the page) and you will find 10 threads similar to this one, and people respond the same way...

:flame: Yes... Yes.. Let the hate flow through you.

Your tears. It is delicious.

tumblr_mcubiuak4g1qb16n2.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
GD26 -- you started your first looong post with

"Oh my god, shut up..."

And now you've written twice, and on your second post you wrote

LOOK, another person who instructs people to keep their mouth shut but wont do it themselves... CLASSIC...

... Pot calling Kettle?

I was going to leave it after my last post, but you are horrendous. "Oh my god. Just shut up." Please listen to your own advice and proceed accordingly, will you? I was defending the OP's right to ask his question, while people like you, masterdental, et al. were trying to silence him without even seeking to understand the intent behind his question in the first place.

How DARE you compare ethnic minorities to 'gang members.' There is a reason that schools talk about race, disability, creed, and sexual orientation having no bearing on admissions (hence, MINORITY), not [illegal] gang affiliation. You are just the kind of stereotypical person who thinks he can't be racist because 'my best friend is black.' You basically insinuated in your last post that Mike Brown deserved to die and you literally said that he "had it coming anyway." I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing about a white girl deserving to die if she stole some cigars, shoved a store clerk, and got into an altercation with a police officer /sarcasm.

"it is seen as annoying or obnoxious when people outwardly express that they are a minority" Uhm... By who? The majority? So we should silence diversity. So university cultural clubs such as the 'black students association' or 'asian american students association' annoys you? That's nice to know. What's the most disgusting is the fact that you are implying minorities are incredibly closed minded by trying to seek out others with similar lived experiences to themselves. Oh boohoo, just suck it up and integrate into society and live the American dream. You don't seem to understand concepts of community empowerment or engagement. Glad Penn is going to have another latent stormfront member like you in their ranks and acting as a healthcare professional in the future.

I genuinely hope that you guys realize your mistake. Don't let your pride get in the way of just apologizing. The OP had every right to seek out a community and seek stories from those with similar lived experiences. Sure, in an ideal world, being gay shouldn't matter, but the very real fact is that it DOES affect your life. You have not only trivialized the issue of being gay in the first place, but silenced and disregarded his question before people have even had a chance to respond, which is incredibly insulting and insensitive.

Reactions: 13 users
*Walks into insane asylum. Walks out insane asylum.*

I'm like, 90% sure Beaux is actually a troll purposely writing social justice warrior type posts to bait argument.

Reactions: 10 users
*Walks into insane asylum. Walks out insane asylum.*

Haha, I like this

I was going to leave it after my last post, but you are horrendous. "Oh my god. Just shut up." Please listen to your own advice and proceed accordingly, will you? I was defending the OP's right to ask his question, while people like you, masterdental, et al. were trying to silence him without even seeking to understand the intent behind his question in the first place.

How DARE you compare ethnic minorities to 'gang members.' There is a reason that schools talk about race, disability, creed, and sexual orientation having no bearing on admissions (hence, MINORITY), not [illegal] gang affiliation. You are just the kind of stereotypical person who thinks he can't be racist because 'my best friend is black.' You basically insinuated in your last post that Mike Brown deserved to die and you literally said that he "had it coming anyway." I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing about a white girl deserving to die if she stole some cigars, shoved a store clerk, and got into an altercation with a police officer /sarcasm.

"it is seen as annoying or obnoxious when people outwardly express that they are a minority" Uhm... By who? The majority? So we should silence diversity. So university cultural clubs such as the 'black students association' or 'asian american students association' annoys you? That's nice to know. What's the most disgusting is the fact that you are implying minorities are incredibly closed minded by trying to seek out others with similar lived experiences to themselves. Oh boohoo, just suck it up and integrate into society and live the American dream. You don't seem to understand concepts of community empowerment or engagement. Glad Penn is going to have another latent stormfront member like you in their ranks and acting as a healthcare professional in the future.

I genuinely hope that you guys realize your mistake. Don't let your pride get in the way of just apologizing. The OP had every right to seek out a community and seek stories from those with similar lived experiences. Sure, in an ideal world, being gay shouldn't matter, but the very real fact is that it DOES affect your life. You have not only trivialized the issue of being gay in the first place, but silenced and disregarded his question before people have even had a chance to respond, which is incredibly insulting and insensitive.

You are completely right, I hadn't thought of any of that... you have just changed my mind with that post.

...Literally I don't even know what you are saying... because what you just accused me of saying, I said the exact opposite. I have absolutely no problem with any minority, and people can associate with whomever they like, but one does not need to openly advertise that they are a minority.

And The white girl probably wouldn't have stolen the cigars, assaulted a store clerk, or assaulted the officer...

This is pointless and is getting excessive. So im sorry that I feel differently than you.

Keep telling yourself that. Let me be the first to point out your blatant hypocrisy. You assume that anyone posting a thread titled "any straight acceptees out there?" must be a 'white cis male'. I guess that in your mind a woman, or a black male would never create a thread seeking other straight people... Way to be prejudiced there Beaux. Hoisted with your own petard.

This is hardly the forum to a.) express your sexuality, or b.) look for people with similar sexual orientations with the express purpose of dating them.

Let's frame this discussion differently.

Imagine for a moment Beaux, that I had created a thread titled "any single ladies out there?" What if one of the ladies made a post titled "any single guys out there?"

See the problem? Those threads would likely degrade into mindless tangential arguments and personal crusades as well.

It has nothing to do with your sexuality. If you are looking for people to date (which is how this thread appears to me), take it to match.com or okcupid. SDN is not a single's network. I would be just as likely to make a provocative statement in a thread where the OP was looking to hook up with someone of the opposite gender. Had the OP asked about LGBT groups in dental school, or whatever, I suppose it wouldn't have come across to me as a craigslist ad. Where's the substance? More importantly - where's the OP?

You can come down off your soapbox now, your moral authority is dangerously depleted.

Boy, you're really working the white-guilt angle in this thread, aren't you?

Mike Brown robbed a store. Mike brown assaulted a clerk. Mike brown attacked a police officer and attempted to disarm him. Had it been a white guy it would have ended the same way; get a clue. By the way, talk about derailing the thread with visceral reactions....

Last edited:
WOW just wow........the sad part that this is the future of the dental profession....

WOW just wow........the sad part that this is the future of the dental profession....

Yeah, I definitely will not go to a dentist of this generation!!!! These people are the worst. How are they ever going to be good dentists if the don't meet your moral and behavioral approval????

Reactions: 2 users
If it is as irrelevant as you guys think it is, you are implying that threads like these have no place on SDN:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-lgbtq-applicant-thread.1013024/

I could make this really personal, but I won't. With that, I'm out. I am no longer arguing with any of you.

Okay so all kidding and arguments aside... I can see how frightening it must be to be gay, or I guess even a minority in general. Everyone has been in situations where they feel like they don't fit in, or are being judged, etc... and I cant even imagine how it would feel to have that feeling all the time. So I sympathize with the op and all other minorities or socially troubled people in that aspect.

However, I just find the topic, title, and meaning of this thread to be annoying and misplaced on this forum. The same goes for some of the links such as "gay pre-med students- UNITE!" in the thread you posted above. In my opinion, which shouldn't necessarily matter to anyone else, it is odd or disrespectful or discriminatory or whatever adjective you want to use, to create a thread like that. I would have the same feelings towards a "white pre-med students- UNITE!" thread or an Asian one. It is just something that I don't think is socially or politically correct to post on a forum like this. If we are all working towards the same goal, and have the same interests, it would be, and is, offensive to single out a group of people that you are only interested in associating with. I like certain people for the way they are, and I dislike certain people for the way they are. it has nothing to do with gender, race, sexual orientation, or anything of the sort, just who they are as a person and how they act. So if the op, or another minority is a good person then it shouldn't matter if they are gay or a minority or not. All that should matter is how they carry themselves and how they treat others.

So bottom line is, threads like this purposefully exclude other people and express the fact that they are a minority who want to stick together. I think it is somewhat disrespectful and closed minded, and i don't think it is necessary or appropriate in this forum.

Its just reverse segregation, and as people interested in the same profession we should all resonate with pre-dental student, not some with gay pre-dental student, or some with black pre-dental student.

Last edited:
Ah yes....another "I'm gay and I'm FABULOUS" post.......................

Yeah, I definitely will not go to a dentist of this generation!!!! These people are the worst. How are they ever going to be good dentists if the don't meet your moral and behavioral approval????

"if you like your dentist, you can keep it"

-said no one ever

I don't think the intent of this thread was to be a an okcupid ad. Reread the title and first post. I just don't see how one could come to that conclusion.
And believe me, if this thread was about someone curious about about acceptees of the same URM, I highly doubt you would be getting so angry and indignant. And if you did, you certainly wouldn't reveal such prejudice publicly. But I guess in 2014 it's still acceptable in some dark, dank corners to publicly air such filth. Enjoy it while you can.

Reactions: 3 users
Good Question. Ignore the negative comments!

Last edited:
Yes, and ignore most of the previous posts on this link. Coming to terms with this identity did put me behind many of my straight classmates, by a few years, but I managed to get a few interviews and acceptance, based solely on my merit. I still wonder about how this will affect my career, something heterosexuals don't have to worry about.
It was a good question.
Thanks,
R

My neighbor is a gay dentist and a great guy and it hasn't hurt his success 1 bit. Very cool house, beach house, 2 audis and a porsche. However he was married to a woman for like 10 years, had 3 children, and then felt like he wasn't happy or was lying to himself, or however you want to put it. Has been openly gay for 11 years or so now and has owned his practice for about 13 I think.

Im pretty sure I asked if there were any other gay acceptees out there to get info on how they're going to adjust to the next years class. Not on what other people think about being a minority,. If you dont like it keep on moving and ignore it.

I don't think the intent of this thread was to be a an okcupid ad. Reread the title and first post. I just don't see how one could come to that conclusion.

And believe me, if this thread was about someone curious about about acceptees of the same URM, I highly doubt you would be getting so angry and indignant. And if you did, you certainly wouldn't reveal such prejudice publicly. But I guess in 2014 it's still acceptable in some dark, dank corners to publicly air such filth. Enjoy it while you can.

Angry and indignant? Unless you're referring to Beaux, I'm not sure whom you're talking about. Some of the responses to this thread have been terse certainly, but I think we can credit that to this thread's ambiguity.

If you're trying to elevate the plight of homosexuals above URMs, then I will simply have to disagree with you right there.

Ironically you make the claim that we are prejudiced for daring to say anything which isn't positive just because someone is gay, which, in my mind, IS prejudice. Sorry PC police officer, but this all feels a bit too much like McCarthyism to me. "What are you saying? You're a homophobe? He's a homophobe! Let's gang up on him and destroy his career! Lock him up and throw away the key! Damn Commie! errr, homophobe!!!"

I think it's painfully obvious the difference between this thread and a URM thread. There's nothing sexual about being black, Hispanic, etc. If you can't see why it might seem like scouting to ask about other gay students, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Im pretty sure I asked if there were any other gay acceptees out there to get info on how they're going to adjust to the next years class. Not on what other people think about being a minority,. If you dont like it keep on moving and ignore it.

Well your intent really wasn't very clear. I'm not really sure I understand what you hoped to glean from a thread which simply asks if any others are in he same boat.

If this is what you were looking for, then you should consider these threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lgbt-in-dental-school.893868/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...w-even-if-it-has-a-lot-to-do-w-my-ps.1100884/ (This one is very recent)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gay-applicants-for-dental-school.55327/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tely-gay-d-school-applicants-students.369572/

Last edited:

Providing that there are actually people taking it seriously.

Can't say this isnt good entertainment while I wait for school to start.

And yes, I am running out of TV shows to watch. Spring needs to come sooner.

Angry and indignant? Unless you're referring to Beaux, Ironically you make the claim that we are prejudiced for daring to say anything which isn't positive just because someone is gay, which, in my mind, IS prejudice. Sorry PC police officer, but this all feels a bit too much like McCarthyism to me. "What are you saying? You're a homophobe? He's a homophobe! Let's gang up on him and destroy his career! Lock him up and throw away the key! Damn Commie! errr, homophobe!!!"

It's certainly possible and quite permissible to hold a unfavorable opinion of someone due to beliefs they hold. If someone is homophobic, especially a person of my own generation, I generally do view them a bit negatively. I really don't have a problem stating that here or elsewhere. Similarly, there are many other beliefs a person could hold, some far more offensive, some less, that would cause me to develop a dislike of that person.

In summary, if someone says something negative about someone's sexual orientation, it would likely cause me to dislike them. Is that so wrong?

In summary, if someone says something negative about someone's sexual orientation, it would likely cause me to dislike them. Is that so wrong?

Of course disliking a prejudiced person isn't wrong. But Cello's point is not that you shouldn't dislike prejudice - it's against the false implication of prejudice where none necessarily exists in the first place.

A lot of the more defensive people in this thread seem to be running under the assumption that a dislike of this specific thread (or simply finding it pointless) equates to a dislike of homosexuality, which is an invalid conclusion that attempts to undermine the core criticism by painting the critic as ignorant.

The animosity in this thread is pretty ridiculous. Responses like "this irritates me. Stop making it a thing. Don't even bother asking" is more than just terse, it's a put down.

We as humans find comfort in knowing there's others out there that share our experiences.

GD26 wrote
If we are all working towards the same goal, and have the same interests, it would be, and is, offensive to single out a group of people that you are only interested in associating with.

BUT, there's been questions like that all this year; questions that ask if there are similar groups out there like themselves (See below). NONE of them met this level of animosity. Plus, OP didn't say he/she was *only* interested in hanging out with gays; he just inquired about others. I'm not saying URM's plight is *lesser* -- Let's not rank minority status -- but I am saying that the reaction to this thread is over the top and unusual. A dislike of this thread might not equate to a dislike of homosexuality, but when compared to similar threads, it seems like this thread provoked an abnormally strong reaction.

And for the "OKcupid" or "Match.com" analogy... I don't get why there was confusion. OP wasn't making it sexual and asking if there were any *single* gay acceptees; just "gay acceptees". That doesn't imply sexual interest, just sexual orientation. It's the difference between saying "any other college athlete acceptees?" and "any other *single* college athlete acceptees?". One implies commonality, the other implies sexual interest; it's pretty clear.

edit: I attributed the quote to the correct SDNer.
~~~~
Previous references to posts that ask for a small demographic on SDN, but doesn't provide articles, provoke deep discussion, and were virtually untouched by annoyed SDNers...

Also, all my examples are from fall 2014.

This one asks for college athletes/and or under represented minorities. 2014:
This one is about who else is doing nothing on a saturday night. No deep discussion; just seeking people who are in a similar boat and sharing cat gifs. No one complained and I enjoyed it; it was fun. 2014.
This one asks for people who play a certain type of computer game. No opposition here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Of course disliking a prejudiced person isn't wrong. But Cello's point is not that you shouldn't dislike prejudice - it's against the false implication of prejudice where none necessarily exists in the first place.

A lot of the more defensive people in this thread seem to be running under the assumption that a dislike of this specific thread (or simply finding it pointless) equates to a dislike of homosexuality, which is an invalid conclusion that attempts to undermine the core criticism by painting the critic as ignorant.

It seems to me that those who disliked the thread were running under the assumption that it was a pickup thread. That too is an invalid conclusion. Perhaps we are all just misunderstanding one another?

I hope being asexual makes my application. If not, I'll just divide and submit my application multiple times to increase chances.

The animosity in this thread is pretty ridiculous. Responses like "this irritates me. Stop making it a thing. Don't even bother asking" is more than just terse, it's a put down.

We as humans find comfort in knowing there's others out there that share our experiences.

GD26 wrote

BUT, there's been questions like that all this year; questions that ask if there are similar groups out there like themselves (See below). NONE of them met this level of animosity. Plus, OP didn't say he/she was *only* interested in hanging out with gays; he just inquired about others. I'm not saying URM's plight is *lesser* -- Let's not rank minority status -- but I am saying that the reaction to this thread is over the top and unusual. A dislike of this thread might not equate to a dislike of homosexuality, but when compared to similar threads, it seems like this thread provoked an abnormally strong reaction.

And for the "OKcupid" or "Match.com" analogy... I don't get why there was confusion. OP wasn't making it sexual and asking if there were any *single* gay acceptees; just "gay acceptees". That doesn't imply sexual interest, just sexual orientation. It's the difference between saying "any other college athlete acceptees?" and "any other *single* college athlete acceptees?". One implies commonality, the other implies sexual interest; it's pretty clear.

edit: I attributed the quote to the correct SDNer.
~~~~
Previous references to posts that ask for a small demographic on SDN, but doesn't provide articles, provoke deep discussion, and were virtually untouched by annoyed SDNers...

Also, all my examples are from fall 2014.

This one asks for college athletes/and or under represented minorities. 2014:
This one is about who else is doing nothing on a saturday night. No deep discussion; just seeking people who are in a similar boat and sharing cat gifs. No one complained and I enjoyed it; it was fun. 2014.
This one asks for people who play a certain type of computer game. No opposition here.

Quality post so no problems. However, the first link asks for advice on applying or specifically chances of getting in. The second asks who is doing nothing on one particular Saturday night, not all the time. I'm sure if they posted "I have nothing to do ever, im such a loner and feel so out of place" (not saying this is what the op meant, but threads that are similar to being a minority and looking for sympathy) there would have been a strange discussion. And I didn't look at the last one. But it just seemed like the op was creating one of "those" kinds of threads.

I took this thread as kind of a call for sympathy, like "who else is in the same boat" as if it is such a bad situation to be in. My feeling on the matter is that, for the most part, people really don't care whether someone is gay or not, as much as the gay person thinks they do. Heck, i have some friends in class whom I didn't even know were gay until I knew them for a few months. I didn't look at them any differently, or feel any differently about them, so if its not a problem, why go out of the way to address a problem that's not even there.

im pretty over this topic now, but just for the record... Look at the "gay med students unite" thread, or "Asian male friendly" threads, or URM vs WASP threads. They all get pretty heated. Threads looking to single out groups, or whatever you want to call it, as history has shown us, tend to not be taken lightly on this forum.

Quality post so no problems. However, the first link asks for advice on applying or specifically chances of getting in. The second asks who is doing nothing on one particular Saturday night, not all the time. I'm sure if they posted "I have nothing to do ever, im such a loner and feel so out of place" (not saying this is what the op meant, but threads that are similar to being a minority and looking for sympathy) there would have been a strange discussion. And I didn't look at the last one. But it just seemed like the op was creating one of "those" kinds of threads.

I took this thread as kind of a call for sympathy, like "who else is in the same boat" as if it is such a bad situation to be in. My feeling on the matter is that, for the most part, people really don't care whether someone is gay or not, as much as the gay person thinks they do. Heck, i have some friends in class whom I didn't even know were gay until I knew them for a few months. I didn't look at them any differently, or feel any differently about them, so if its not a problem, why go out of the way to address a problem that's not even there.

im pretty over this topic now, but just for the record... Look at the "gay med students unite" thread, or "Asian male friendly" threads, or URM vs WASP threads. They all get pretty heated. Threads looking to single out groups, or whatever you want to call it, as history has shown us, tend to not be taken lightly on this forum.

I'm unclear on how you understood a question about "acceptees" to be asking for sympathy -- because let's face it, being in an "acceptee" boat is a pretty nice boat to be in!

While "most people" might not care, people cared enough to comment negatively on the thread. Others misunderstood a call for similar people as a call for sexual interest. Obviously, a post about X vs Z will be pretty heated. But a post just asking for fellow gay acceptees -- I mean, I can say the same to you and other SDNers: why is it a problem that someone wants to know other gay people who got accepted? And why involve yourself in saying negative statements?

You're (GD26) pretty reasonable by telling OP to hang out with others, but he can easily hang out with other and still want to hang out with someone who can identify with his experiences of being gay. (Yes I'm assuming OP is a he for ease of writing, since writing he/she gets too awkward). But then you write,

"I was just saying that being a certain race or sexual orientation doesn't mean that you have to be segregated or confined to associating with people just like you."

OP didn't say he *only* wanted to know about gay acceptees. He was just inquiring. You assumed the 'segregation" part. I see no problem with minorities interacting with people who they share similar experiences, and *also* the majority crowd -- it's like having two or more groups of friends, like hanging with your rugby buddies and your biology study group. There's no problem in asking to meet people who are similar to you in a certain regard, especially if you share a similar life experience.

So when people tell OP:

Ah yes....another "I'm gay and I'm FABULOUS" post.......................

or take his post to mean asking about single people or sexual attraction and then write passionately against that angle, when OP mentioned NOTHING about single/available/hotness/dating/male/female (I know lesbians refer to themselves as gay.)....Well, It rankles me. We're all pre-professionals, so let's act professional.

I wish you'd (GD26) linked to the posts you mentioned, but I did search up some threads. Most of them were written to be inflammatory -- the ones who literally pitted two groups against each other by using words like "have it worse", or "have it better", even "vs". But in this particular post, there was nothing like "omgggg the straaights don't know how easy they have it!" in the original post, which was literally two sentences; short and to the point.
...But on the few that are negative without an instigating remark, it does paint a bigger issue: minority groups searching for each other, and people who feel like it's their place to negatively comment on their interaction/group, hijack the thread, or worse, turn it into a spectacle. Seriously, what does comments about popcorn provide? I'll much rather have honest discourse than an entertaining argument, and throwing popcorn in the mix just seems to fuel the fire.

And with that... I'm going to stop commenting in this thread. It had wandered faaar away from its original purpose -- I fully admit I've contributed to that aspect -- and now that I've said my bit, I'm not sure what else there is to add from me. If someone wants to continue the original purpose -- connecting the OP with gay acceptees -- that'll be awesome. And if people want to keep cordially discussing issues with me, I'll be happy to take your PMs :). Thanks.