You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any other HPSP applicants out there?
Started by evan1g
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
evan1g
Full Member
last cycle there were 10 applicants and 4 got itMy boss was a naval optometrist, do you know how many spots they had and how many applied?
evan1g
Full Member
Hmmm - for the navy I was allowed to apply before I matriculated. Also, I know another dental student who hasn’t started dental school and they got the air force HPSP. not sure if optometry is different though.Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.
Seems like it! I'm at least in their system since I turned in the packet! Two of the doctors I work with are former HPSP awardees. One of our doctors had the Army HPSP and he only got 3 years, while the other was Air Force and he ended up getting all 4 years covered. I don't know if being a prior service member affected the award. Our Army doctor did switch branches from Air Force to Army while the Air Force doctor was always with the Air Force.Hmmm - for the navy I was allowed to apply before I matriculated. Also, I know another dental student who hasn’t started dental school and they got the air force HPSP. not sure if optometry is different though.
I applied for the Navy HPSP for optometry! Did you hear back from the board yet?
D
deleted989644
I’m sorry if I sound like a complete noob, but can you apply for the HPSP program while in optometry school?
...or does it have to be prior to school?
...or does it have to be prior to school?
I think so! Get in touch with a medical recruiter in your state to get things rolling!I’m sorry if I sound like a complete noob, but can you apply for the HPSP program while in optometry school?
...or does it have to be prior to school?
D
deleted989644
Oh! Okay!I think so! Get in touch with a medical recruiter in your state to get things rolling!
I have been accepted into a school already - one of the newer ones. I'm just waiting to see if I can get into a higher-ranked institution - currently WL'ed at one.
Unfortunately, I have to say the medical recruiters are not very responsive or good at communicating! I am in my first year at UCB and have very good stats. I have applied for the HPSP-Air Force, submitted everything they have asked for and now they are not replying with only two weeks till the next deadline of April 15. I'm kind of giving up hopes for this avenue. I guess we will see though. Good luck to all of you on your applications!
optostudent2024
New Member
I recently applied for the 3 year HPSP with the Air Force since I am in my first year of optometry school now. Does anyone know when the results for the March board are supposed to be released?
3iostler
New Member
I was told by my recruiter there were only two scholarships awarded through the Navy last year?last cycle there were 10 applicants and 4 got it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
evan1g
Full Member
Congrats! I got listed as an alternative so if anyone doesn’t want it then there is a possibility I can get it. 😞 Kinda bummed, but everything happens for a reason, maybe wasn’t meant to be.Just got my call of acceptance for the Navy 4-year! Best of luck to everyone else.
3iostler
New Member
I wouldn't give up on it man. I hear that if you reapply with good standing it's nearly a shoe-in for the 3-year and you can apply to all three (Navy, Air Force, Army) programs. Never know, someone could forfeit their offer too.Congrats! I got listed as an alternative so if anyone doesn’t want it then there is a possibility I can get it. 😞 Kinda bummed, but everything happens for a reason, maybe wasn’t meant to be.
futureod38
New Member
I didn’t get it either. My recruiter told me they only awarded one scholarship this year for Navy
amfulgen
New Member
Hey! Omg I’m also interested in applying for this scholarship through the Air Force, and have never come across anyone else who shared this interest!Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.
amfulgen
New Member
Hey I also talked to an Air Force recruiter and they told me the same thing about needing to finish the first semester of opt school!Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K