Any other non-stereotypical premeds/med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The impression I've gotten of most premed and med students is that they are very "mainstream" in every possible way.

I definitely don't fit this picture. For one, I'm very "geeky" in many respects, and religiously I'm a secular humanist. Most of my non-science hobbies revolve around creative stuff.
Before getting refocused on the sciences, I was a graphic artist and computer geek for years, and am still a graphic artist/creative writer as a hobby. [I don't miss not having time for these things. Not in the way that I craved medical science, as a professional graphic artist; I spent more time reading medical articles than *working*. But definitely, when the math and science books get put away, the art pencils tend to come out.]

I don't have the "image" of a nonmainstream person anymore, at 31 I finally at least visually conform and look like the "clean-cut yuppie" that my local university's med students all seem to look like, but I am still deep down very unconventional.

I was sort of into the goth thing through much of my 20s. I played AD&D and other games, though I've pretty much grown out of this. I was part of the science fiction fandom scene. I've largely fallen away from this, too. I was also almost always working on some sort of writing project. I am a highly energetic person who at times has a lot of nervous energy. I know that my ability to relate to "normal" or "mainstream" people will be important, because it has been important in the past.

I am wondering if this type of personality will work against me. Am I too geeky/odd/nonmainstream? I'm looking to hear from other premeds or med students who are "nonstereotypical".

Members don't see this ad.

thirdunity said:
The impression I've gotten of most premed and med students is that they are very "mainstream" in every possible way.

I definitely don't fit this picture. For one, I'm very "geeky" in many respects, and religiously I'm a secular humanist. Most of my non-science hobbies revolve around creative stuff.
Before getting refocused on the sciences, I was a graphic artist and computer geek for years, and am still a graphic artist/creative writer as a hobby. [I don't miss not having time for these things. Not in the way that I craved medical science, as a professional graphic artist; I spent more time reading medical articles than *working*. But definitely, when the math and science books get put away, the art pencils tend to come out.]

I don't have the "image" of a nonmainstream person anymore, at 31 I finally at least visually conform and look like the "clean-cut yuppie" that my local university's med students all seem to look like, but I am still deep down very unconventional.

I was sort of into the goth thing through much of my 20s. I played AD&D and other games, though I've pretty much grown out of this. I was part of the science fiction fandom scene. I've largely fallen away from this, too. I was also almost always working on some sort of writing project. I am a highly energetic person who at times has a lot of nervous energy. I know that my ability to relate to "normal" or "mainstream" people will be important, because it has been important in the past.

I am wondering if this type of personality will work against me. Am I too geeky/odd/nonmainstream? I'm looking to hear from other premeds or med students who are "nonstereotypical".

Don't feel alone. I feel the same as you do sometimes. As a 32 year-old non-traditional African American pre-med it is sometimes easy to think I'm the only one in my particular position. I don't really see many other African Americans on this site, this non-trad room is not posted to by members very often. None of us non-trad older students feel really confident or ready for what will come, but perseverance and the knowledge that you are not alone means alot. Stick with it! Right now I'm finishing my Pre-req science classes and chem 1 is killing me! I can't understand how I can get A's and B's in everything else but not this core req I'm barely passing. But I'm going to keep going. If I have to take a post bacc then so be it but the goal of becoming a doctor will not go away. So many people here have gotton over so many problems I can work hard and make it to. Wht else would I do, go to a 9 to 5 every day I hate and wonder what could have been? Keep at it, when both of us get that 1st acceptance and go to our 1st class in school we will know we fit in and are doing what we were ment to do.

I will give you the advice that I was given with respect to being a non-conventional pre-med: there is a place for mavericks in medicine, but wait until AFTER you get accepted to medical school before you let it all hang out! Medicine is a conservative profession, so if you insist on coming across as some kind of iconoclast, the whole application process might not go so well for you. (FYI, I'm also a secular humanist, and a former "barefoot hippie" + science geek to boot. :p But yes, I *am* going to wear the make-up, suit, and heels when and if I get invited to my interviews. :rolleyes: ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
I will give you the advice that I was given with respect to being a non-conventional pre-med: there is a place for mavericks in medicine, but wait until AFTER you get accepted to medical school before you let it all hang out! Medicine is a conservative profession, so if you insist on coming across as some kind of iconoclast, the whole application process might not go so well for you. (FYI, I'm also a secular humanist, and a former "barefoot hippie" + science geek to boot. :p But yes, I *am* going to wear the make-up, suit, and heels when and if I get invited to my interviews. :rolleyes: ;) )

Seems sensible advice. I definitely don't have the iconoclast image anymore - I totally outgrew that, apart from the occasional odd piece of jewellery (I'm fond of Chinese things) - after I hit 28 or so, it seemed really silly to be my age with dyed hair and goth clothes. I don't think I'm really setting out to rock the boat. I just find sometimes though that when it sneaks out about what my outside interests are, people tend to think I'm odd.

I suppose a premed student/med student/doctor who paints, is probably less odd than a graphic artist who spends the rest of time reading pathology cases.

Somebody on oldpremeds pointed out to me though that I have no idea if the "normal" looking med students I see, keep pet iguanas at home.

thirdunity said:

Listen hear Jack. I am very nonmainstream. I am a conservative Christian;I would say probably more conservative than you have ever met in your life. I know that my personal lifestyle would probably not be attractive to many that I associate with, whether at work or school; even to those who supposedly call themselves "Christian" my lifestyle could be offensive because I don't believe they experienced the necessary steps for salvation as I did. I just don't tell them that, nor do I treat them any different because I treat everyone as I want to be treated.

Remember when you come to work, come ready to work. Don't come there ready to change the world according to what you believe it should be. For me, if they like what they see about my life and they ask about it, I am happy and very willing to discuss my experiences with them. Usually, someone is always intrigued enough and they seem to find a reason to bring it up with me, so I get to share it with them; however, many others don't ask about it, so I don't cram it down their throat. I realize that I still have to work with many people that do not believe like I do, and I want to have good, professional relationships with these people; if you want to have a successful practice, as I know that I do, then don't cram your lifestyle down their throats. Remember, your patients will also judge you accordingly, so you will be better off if you maintain a neutral lifestyle while in the work place. It's just the professional thing to do.