Any other nurses going to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsFutureDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they are any other experienced nurses >2 years currently taking pre-med classes. How is the journey so far for you? Also what is your current speciality? Im learning so much while taking pre-med classes, it really helps to understand the science behind all our nursing practices. I'm not yet even in med school yet and I'm already applying the things I learn in inorganic chemistry and physics. I'm looking forward to organic chemistry. Also, do you have those moments where you watch a doctor behave so off and you tell yourself no way will I act like that when I become a physician lol . Btw I'm a clinic cardiology nurse. I worked in cardiovascular surgery CV ICU before going to the ambulatory setting.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are quite a few nurses on here. I'm not a nurse, so I can't provide any perspective there other than I've definitely watched doctors acting stupid and thought "I'll never do that." I work in a teaching hospital so it's a not infrequent occurrence :p

In the meantime, there are some great stickies on various careers to MD,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=532079

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=554515

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=670427

There are quite a few more threads with nurses to MD, but everyone starts a new thread topic instead of doing a search first so it can be a bit hard to keep track of the discussions.

Welcome.

I'm wondering if they are any other experienced nurses >2 years currently taking pre-med classes. How is the journey so far for you? Also what is your current speciality? Im learning so much while taking pre-med classes, it really helps to understand the science behind all our nursing practices. I'm not yet even in med school yet and I'm already applying the things I learn in inorganic chemistry and physics. I'm looking forward to organic chemistry. Also, do you have those moments where you watch a doctor behave so off and you tell yourself no way will I act like that when I become a physician lol . Btw I'm a clinic cardiology nurse. I worked in cardiovascular surgery CV ICU before going to the ambulatory setting.
Thanks

I'm not a nurse either, but isn't nursing school supposed to teach you that? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a RN. I'm in Emergency at a Level 1 Trauma Facility in Dallas. I have 5 Pre-med classes left but I am working on another degree! Good luck to you

I'm an ER nurse who is about to finish med school. I worked 6+ years including during med school. If I can do it you all can too!!

The science behind what they do in nursing is somewhat superficial... There is a nurse at my job last week who said to a physician why he is increasing the patient synthroid (a T4 or T3 synthetic) when the patient TSH is already high....The physician said to her: "I dont have time to explain to you what you should have known in nursing school". I know!... he was a dick ( he should have explained it to her). I had to explain it to her.

Last edited:
The science behind what they do in nursing is somewhat superficial... There is a nurse on my job last week who said to a physician why he is increasing the patient synthroid (a T4 or T3 synthetic) when the patient TSH is already high....The physician said to her: "I dont have time to explain to you what you should have known in nursing school". I know!... he was a dick ( he should have explained it to her). I had to explain it to her.

It's a synthetic T4. The T3 half-life is too short to be used as a therapeutic agent.

He didn't have to be d!ck, I agree. But he may not have had time. And this thread topic, like the nature of T4 and it's relationship to TSH is impossibly easy to search.

That's what we learn on wards. To shut the f@ck up and look stuff up. This isn't superior. And in fact the nursing model has done well by itself from encouraging a less hide what you don't know approach. But know this. This aint nursing. Your skills will come in handy way down the road. You are just like any other premed. With the bonus of knowing health care. A very large bonus, larger in my mind than most.

But as a victim of this system. I feel the need to say to the OP to search for god's sake. In the decade I've been on these forums. This has to be the same thread that pops up like the regularity of diabetes and CHF.

The nurse premed ranks are substantial. It might not seem like it in microcosmic space. But medicine's night sky is dotted with the constellations of whole galaxies of nurses turned doc. And they've left an abundance of their trails along the way.

Can we get a plumber to doc thread? Prolly not....that guy prolly does his own searches.

Thanks

Journey is going ok so far, taking inorganic chem 2 and bio 2. In the Fall Physics and organic chem.

2+ years working MICU (Can include CV surgeries here too, no seperate CV ICU).

Journey is going ok so far, taking inorganic chem 2 and bio 2. In the Fall Physics and organic chem.

2+ years working MICU (Can include CV surgeries here too, no seperate CV ICU).

yeah it's tough. I'm taking chem II with lab in the summer then Org 1 and Physics 2 in the fall and next spring Org 2 and Physics 2 lab, and study for the MCAT. I have to say though, granted i haven't started medical school yet, BSN was more harder than pursuing pre-med. What do you think? I've been getting a A's so far but then again it may because i do love sciences and i did start my BSN at 18 years old, with no work experience

I'm an ER nurse who is about to finish med school. I worked 6+ years including during med school. If I can do it you all can too!!

Way to go! If you don't mind sharing what part of your ER nursing experience did you leverage the most while you are in medical school and in what year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a RN. I'm in Emergency at a Level 1 Trauma Facility in Dallas. I have 5 Pre-med classes left but I am working on another degree! Good luck to you

Same to you! I love seeing my nurses exploring other options in the healthcare industry! What are you working on. Btw i had considered the executive route, got my MBA, had job offers as a Director in a hospital, but medical science is my passion. My friend who is currently a succesful Nurse Anesthesiologist, tried convincing me to go that route with my CV-ICU experience, but i just couldn't see my self working in the OR all the time. I like my patients talking to me:)

I'm wondering if there is a nursing forum on SDN dedicated to just nurses ( LPN,RN, NP, Nurse Anesth. etc ) pursing medicine or are currently in medical school. I want to read about their experiences. So far i've heard such positive feedback from the community of Physicians who were nurses.

If anyone knows of any forums on the world wide web for the Nurse to MD folks please share the link.
I like SDN, but the folks on here can be too hostile. I sense anger/resentment based on some of the responses on this forum. To quote Ms. Sweet Brown " aint nobody got time for that!" :)

Scroll down the main forum index page to the "health care transitions" forum.

Or use "Nurse to doctor" or whatever permutation of key words gets you good results in the advanced search option box. You can use the option to query results by thread title to get more conversations.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=22026008

Perceiving hostility is often the first response to unwelcome facts. I presented the facts impolitely. Sorry. But I had time for this. And I'm busy as hell.

I am an RN. Ive been in Labor and Delivery for 10 years. Finished all my prereqs- what was left after nursing school. Took the MCAT today. Being a nurse does give you a slight advantage during test prep and mcat testing. Some tests questions I barely had to read through because I knew the answers from nursing practice. This was mostly in Bology though. I think its a level playing field when it comes to Physics, Orgo, verbal reasoning. Good Luck. It is hard work.

I'm currently taking my pre-reqs. I'm a med-surg float nurse. I was Chem major when I first went to college but switched to nursing and have been unhappy ever since. I've learned a lot in the 5 years I've been a nurse but it's time to move on and do something I've always wanted to do.

I am an RN. Ive been in Labor and Delivery for 10 years. Finished all my prereqs- what was left after nursing school. Took the MCAT today. Being a nurse does give you a slight advantage during test prep and mcat testing. Some tests questions I barely had to read through because I knew the answers from nursing practice. This was mostly in Bology though. I think its a level playing field when it comes to Physics, Orgo, verbal reasoning. Good Luck. It is hard work.

Thanks for sharing and Good luck! Please keep us posted on your results. If you don't mind sharing how old are you? Speaking of biology i was debating taking a biology as refresher course. However, i've been thinking i don't need to. I like biology. I took enough upper level bio courses in undergrad. I'll probably just take one of those free openwarecourse from MIT or John Hopkins online prior to taking the MCAT

I'm currently taking my pre-reqs. I'm a med-surg float nurse. I was Chem major when I first went to college but switched to nursing and have been unhappy ever since. I've learned a lot in the 5 years I've been a nurse but it's time to move on and do something I've always wanted to do.

Believe me, i understand. After the 1st year of practicing nursing, i knew I was not going to stay in the nursing field. I started college as a Biology major/ pre-med and switched to nursing. 5 years later after working in various specialties, i went back for my MBA and MHA. This may sound crazy, but while i was completing my business admin program, i finally decided i'm going to medical school. I finally realized how i can be part of the solution to improve the delivery of healthcare services. Working in the Cardiovascular ICU unit really helped pushed my decision to pursue medicine.I became so fascinated with the heart and lungs. I wanted to know more but my nursing knowledge is so limited. I wanted more in-depth knowledge about the human body. I actually bought a book recommended by a physician to read about open-heart surgery.I want to be more involved in the patient care; the autonomy in diagnosing and treating patients. Some may disagree with me, but nursing involves so many routines and protocols, which is great for some. However, for someone like me that enjoys a challenge, it becomes boring after a while.

Adult but moved into mostly peds and peds ICU and OHS.

May I ask you honestly what you thought about the verbal portion. Seems like I see a lot of stress and trepidation about that aspect of the MCAT in MCAT forums.

Looking for an experienced nurses insight. :)

Thanks.

Believe me, i understand. After the 1st year of practicing nursing, i knew I was not going to stay in the nursing field. I started college as a Biology major/ pre-med and switched to nursing. 5 years later after working in various specialties, i went back for my MBA and MHA. This may sound crazy, but while i was completing my business admin program, i finally decided i'm going to medical school. I finally realized how i can be part of the solution to improve the delivery of healthcare services. Working in the Cardiovascular ICU unit really helped pushed my decision to pursue medicine.I became so fascinated with the heart and lungs. I wanted to know more but my nursing knowledge is so limited. I wanted more in-depth knowledge about the human body. I actually bought a book recommended by a physician to read about open-heart surgery.I want to be more involved in the patient care; the autonomy in diagnosing and treating patients. Some may disagree with me, but nursing involves so many routines and protocols, which is great for some. However, for someone like me that enjoys a challenge, it becomes boring after a while.

I understand completely. I want more autonomy. Even when I was in management I was still unhappy as a nurse. Actually more unhappy.

I want to become an anesthesiologist and of course I get the go to CRNA school but to me there is a big difference.

I worked in the CCU when I was a tech and would always try I eavesdrop on the docs rounding to learn something new that day. And when I'm floated to the ICU I'm always fascinated. I have ACLS but not critical care so I can't take the vent patients. But I'm always asking a ton of questions when I go there.

I hear ya
was RN in ER, ICU, flight, disaster, management for >10yrs
now senior EM resident
considered crna, aa, pa, np....it just isn't the same as going to med school
although it's a much longer and costly route, I am about done and it was easily the best career (and life) decision I've made. definitely no regrets!

I am currently in my junior year of a BSN program..I plan on applying for post-bacs in the fall to get all of the necessary pre-reqs out of the way (in addition to having a few extra opportunities available that I wouldn't have taking the classes independently) after graduation next spring. Just wondering if any of you are doing the same....I'm not an RN, but I decided to stay in the program without switching to a tradition biology/premed track because I truly believe having the nursing background is giving me a better foundation.

Sure, I may be taking a little more time and spending extra money...but the benefits seem to outweigh the disadvantages at this point.

It's encouraging to hear all of these posts! :)

I think the way you are going about it is fine. Nursing will give you a strong foundation for medical school. Plus you will be already comfortable taking care of patients. This is for the poster above.

I hear ya
was RN in ER, ICU, flight, disaster, management for >10yrs
now senior EM resident
considered crna, aa, pa, np....it just isn't the same as going to med school
although it's a much longer and costly route, I am about done and it was easily the best career (and life) decision I've made. definitely no regrets!

:thumbup::love:

Did you work fulltime during medschool? How did you do it? How many hours? Can you elaborate on your schedule?

I was wondering what you guys think... I will be graduating with my BSN in two weeks, I have worked in the lab at a rural regional hospital for the last four years at about 20 hours per week. I have always considered going to medical school and am very familiar with the process of applying (as well as the difficulty getting accepted) but never had the confidence in my academics. Now that I am graduating with a 3.92 GPA, while working half time, and scored in the 98th percentile nationally for my RN exit examination, I have gained a lot of confidence. I have been offered a job on an Indian reservation, where I have always had plans on working, who will pay off all of my student loans on top of my salary if I sign a contract for two years. However, I really want to go to medical school. I am very passionate about health care and I plan on staying in my home town, which is in desperate need of physicians.

Being that I am just graduating, it does feel slightly discouraging to go straight back into undergraduate classes for another year and a half to finish my physics and organic chemistry. Which means I would not be able to apply for medical school until the 2014 application cycle and not start medical school until fall of 2015 if I was accepted. My question is, should I work as an RN for two years to have all of my loans paid off while acquiring more hospital experience in a different scope? Or should I suck it up and start taking my pre-reqs? A couple other factors to consider are that I am getting married this summer and that the MCAT is also changing quite significantly in 2015 and will involve critical thinking applications, which I feel would be to my advantage.