Any other pre-med consider becoming Navy SEAL before/after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwest

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-

Just wondering, am I the only one who has a strong urge to try out for the Navy SEALs? I guess it's always been a childhood dream of mine, before I discovered medicine. Plan to start med school in 2003 and perhaps defer or join after residency. Am I crazy? I know that SEALs can train to be corpsman (EMT-P certified and special ops medic training). I've been training in martial arts for several years now, and work out regularly.

Does anyone know of someone who has done this? I've read of a neurosurgery resident who used to be a SEAL. I would appreciate any information. Or perhaps I should just punch a wall a couple of times?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lol - i thought about it for a while.
but i really dont think you'll have time to do it after med school.
IIRC most seals are really young early 20s and by the time you complete med school i doubt you'd be able to keep up.
plus doesnt it take a while before you can actually sign up to be a seal?
for the rangers for instance you need to have your airborne wings first and that already takes a while after you complete GI school.

Reactions: 1 user
The school I will be attending next fall has a combined MD/Navy Seal program. My kaplan teacher spent every third class teaching us how to kill people with our bare hands, so I think I'm probably a shoe-in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine joined the Seals, but he was already in the navy for about 2 years before he got accepted to BUDS. He was pretty nuts before he went, and totally nuts afterwards. He's out now and thinking about going to law school, but he was active duty for about 6 years. That level of military training usually comes with a multiple year commitment.

I've alway wanted to learn how to take lives, so I could save them later.

Reactions: 1 users
A guy on my crew team a couple years back at Stanford had been special forces in the Navy, and was working on premedical studies.

Though, when he graduated he just opened a strip club instead.

You definitely need to put time into the Navy before becoming a SEAL. And you might (big might) be able to do all this after med school, but you would not be able to wait until after residency. I don't think schools would let you defer that many years, so if this is something you are really interested in you would either have to join the Navy now and apply later, or go to med school first and take your chances becoming a SEAL after graduation.
Good luck.

that is actually not true, no experience is needed to do seals. I knew two ofmy buds go straight from HS into the tryouts.. .. it is INTENSE BEYONED imagine.. unless u know someone first hand trust me its brutal. but if its ur dream go for it!

Originally posted by Ramoray
that is actually not true, no experience is needed to do seals. I knew two ofmy buds go straight from HS into the tryouts.. .. it is INTENSE BEYONED imagine.. unless u know someone first hand trust me its brutal. but if its ur dream go for it!

What's that? I think I just heard someone talking out of their ass.

The Navy regulation states that you need 2yrs of enlisted time before you're eligible for SEAL training. Unless you're a college graduate, in which case you can enter BUDS right out of boot (yes that's right, ENLISTED boot camp). Even though you're a college grad, if you want to be a SEAL, you have to go in as enlisted, not officer. Call your recruiter, he'll tell you the same thing.

HamOn Seals, Ham on

i met a couple of ensigns at usuhs that were prior seals. those are the only ones i have come across though.

You sound just like I did after I graduated from college...after finishing Army ROTC and Engineer Officer Basic Course, I had this burning desire to graduate from Ranger school. I went to the engineer branch version of Ranger school (Sapper Leader Course), which was half as long (1 month) and less intense than Ranger school. Still, I lost 15 pounds (from 150), and I vaguely remember endless days doing ambushes and going on patrols while covered with poison ivy (or oak, I don't know), carrying around 80-90 pounds of gear, and being sleep-deprived to the point of hallucinations. Every morning we would have 3 hour long physical fitness torture sessions led by a couple of sadistic Rangers.

Now multiply that by about a thousand...I went through SLC with a buddy who was a SEAL for 6 years (back when he was 18) and he would tell me stories about their hell week (which actually made me feel better about how easy we had it at SLC). During their hell week they got to sleep twice (for 1 hour each time). The rest of the time they were either in the water, nearly hypothermic, or doing PT until total exhaustion. He said that the instructors actually had tables telling them exactly how long they could have guys in the water before they really got hypothermia.

Believe me, after going through SLC, I made the conscious decision NOT to go to Ranger school. If you plan on being a SEAL, you had better want it more than anything else in the world. Otherwise you'll give up on the first day. All the people I knew (mostly Rangers, some SF guys, and this SEAL) had an unbelievable amount of discipline. I would HIGHLY suggest talking candidly with someone who has actually been through one of these schools before taking the plunge.

IMHO, you would have to go through the training first, then become a doctor. Although your brain would be able to handle med school at 22 or 28, your body most likely won't be able to handle BUDS at 28.

Good luck.
-ttac

Actually,for some reason I'm drawn more to the Air Force.Hopefully Canada will still have planes that fly by the time I join.

I think it would awesome to experience what it is like to be a Navy Seal. To be trained to become one of the few people in the US that has the ability to perform covert special ops. But I think I would like to be alive so I can become a physician first. I'll have to live my fantasy via my Playstation 2. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can enlist to try out for seals straight from h.s.. you can also try to be an officer. But then if you do all this, why go to med school? Say you finish med school at 25 and then become a seal, when will you have kids??

If you want to become a dr, the advantages are that you work for yourself. If you suffer from lack of adrenaline, you can afford to take a year off to climb mt everest :D

If going into military, you dont have to be a seal, but in earlier threads it was discussed that some army drs get to go to the ranger school... and if in navy, you can hang out with seals or pilots or marines. of course if you just want to learn to shoot, fly planes, dive, parachute, and h2h, you dont have to join the military at all. All these activities are available in civil world.

Originally posted by ljube_02
of course if you just want to learn to shoot, fly planes, dive, parachute, and h2h, you dont have to join the military at all. All these activities are available in civil world.
Yes.... but in the military the guns are SOOO much bigger, the planes way faster, dives deeper and jumps higher. besides - instead of having to pay to do all those things, in the military you actually get paid to do all that stuff....
where do I sign up? :D

No you can actually jump higher and dive deeper in civilian world. And while a navy seal doesnt get to drive a tank or fly a plane, you can, if you pay enough money. Navy Seal gets paid, but you as a civilian probably get paid more. Navy Seal may have to vaccinate against small pox or paint his helmet all day if his boss tells him to. What he gets in return is Patriotism.

No, you don't need any time in the Navy to go to BUDs (Basic Underwater Demolition Seal training). The Navy is the only branch that allows you to go right from boot camp or.. Next point* Officer training*

SEAL Officers do NOT go through "enlisted boot camp". They go through an Officer training school like OCS (Officer Candidate School or Naval Acadamy in Annapolis, MD) which is similar to boot camp in many ways. Both Officer and Enlisted personnel may then go straight to BUDs upon graduating from boot camp or Officer training (a few years ago, around 2006, all enlisted had to go to an "A" School and receive a technical rating (like Boatsain's Mate, Gunner's Mate, etc.), but now all Special Operations (SEAL, SWCC, EOD, Diver, ARSS) go to special divisions in boot camp that prep them for their special training for the 14 weeks they are in boot camp. Upon getting to their Special Operations training location (Pensacola, FL for ARSS, Coronado, CA for BUDs.. Not real sure about the rest... *I went to ARSS and became a Rescue Swimmer before getting out to get my degree, get commissioned, and go to BUDs to become a SEAL Officer*) there are a couple weeks preparation for classing up (in ARSS we called it "Starboard D" which comes from the "D" shaped flying formation off of a ship's Starboard side for potential SAR operations during aircraft launch and recoveries). In BUDs it is currently 3 weeks, where all you do is swim, PT, and practice your weak spots to better prepare you for the grueling hell that is BUDs (Hell week, or 3rd week of first phase, is the "Hell within Hell").

Any more statements on Officers needing to "go in as enlisted" that need to be cleared up, or is that clear enough?

Hey-

Just wondering, am I the only one who has a strong urge to try out for the Navy SEALs? I guess it's always been a childhood dream of mine, before I discovered medicine. Plan to start med school in 2003 and perhaps defer or join after residency. Am I crazy? I know that SEALs can train to be corpsman (EMT-P certified and special ops medic training). I've been training in martial arts for several years now, and work out regularly.

Does anyone know of someone who has done this? I've read of a neurosurgery resident who used to be a SEAL. I would appreciate any information. Or perhaps I should just punch a wall a couple of times?

Thanks
If you just want to "try out", then don't bother. Only those who go to "do it" will ever make it through... And you better act now, because age waivers are hard to get.

No you can actually jump higher and dive deeper in civilian world. And while a navy seal doesnt get to drive a tank or fly a plane, you can, if you pay enough money. Navy Seal gets paid, but you as a civilian probably get paid more. Navy Seal may have to vaccinate against small pox or paint his helmet all day if his boss tells him to. What he gets in return is Patriotism.
Says a non-Navy SEAL...

Yes.... but in the military the guns are SOOO much bigger, the planes way faster, dives deeper and jumps higher. besides - instead of having to pay to do all those things, in the military you actually get paid to do all that stuff....
where do I sign up? :D
Said like a true Navy SEAL... But trust me when I say "No normal person can push themselves like they would be pushed in BUDs". That would take a crazy man... Which means all Navy SEALS are crazy men, because they push themselves to those limits at the drop of a hat. HOO-YAH!!

Yes, you can enlist to try out for seals straight from h.s.. you can also try to be an officer. But then if you do all this, why go to med school? Say you finish med school at 25 and then become a seal, when will you have kids??

If you want to become a dr, the advantages are that you work for yourself. If you suffer from lack of adrenaline, you can afford to take a year off to climb mt everest :D

If going into military, you dont have to be a seal, but in earlier threads it was discussed that some army drs get to go to the ranger school... and if in navy, you can hang out with seals or pilots or marines. of course if you just want to learn to shoot, fly planes, dive, parachute, and h2h, you dont have to join the military at all. All these activities are available in civil world.
Oh, SEALS have children alright... And that doesn't keep them from loving their job.. On the contrary.

Are you guys really arguing about a thread from 2003

You sound just like I did after I graduated from college...after finishing Army ROTC and Engineer Officer Basic Course, I had this burning desire to graduate from Ranger school. I went to the engineer branch version of Ranger school (Sapper Leader Course), which was half as long (1 month) and less intense than Ranger school. Still, I lost 15 pounds (from 150), and I vaguely remember endless days doing ambushes and going on patrols while covered with poison ivy (or oak, I don't know), carrying around 80-90 pounds of gear, and being sleep-deprived to the point of hallucinations. Every morning we would have 3 hour long physical fitness torture sessions led by a couple of sadistic Rangers.

Now multiply that by about a thousand...I went through SLC with a buddy who was a SEAL for 6 years (back when he was 18) and he would tell me stories about their hell week (which actually made me feel better about how easy we had it at SLC). During their hell week they got to sleep twice (for 1 hour each time). The rest of the time they were either in the water, nearly hypothermic, or doing PT until total exhaustion. He said that the instructors actually had tables telling them exactly how long they could have guys in the water before they really got hypothermia.

Believe me, after going through SLC, I made the conscious decision NOT to go to Ranger school. If you plan on being a SEAL, you had better want it more than anything else in the world. Otherwise you'll give up on the first day. All the people I knew (mostly Rangers, some SF guys, and this SEAL) had an unbelievable amount of discipline. I would HIGHLY suggest talking candidly with someone who has actually been through one of these schools before taking the plunge.

IMHO, you would have to go through the training first, then become a doctor. Although your brain would be able to handle med school at 22 or 28, your body most likely won't be able to handle BUDS at 28.

Good luck.
-ttac
True statements..

What's that? I think I just heard someone talking out of their ass.

The Navy regulation states that you need 2yrs of enlisted time before you're eligible for SEAL training. Unless you're a college graduate, in which case you can enter BUDS right out of boot (yes that's right, ENLISTED boot camp). Even though you're a college grad, if you want to be a SEAL, you have to go in as enlisted, not officer. Call your recruiter, he'll tell you the same thing.

HamOn Seals, Ham on
Say someone is talking out of their a** and then make false statements... And you want to be a doctor?!

Are you guys really arguing about a thread from 2003
Ahhh... Thanks, I came here looking for information on whether any SEALS have become doctors. It was the first link on Google. My apologies.

The school I will be attending next fall has a combined MD/Navy Seal program. My kaplan teacher spent every third class teaching us how to kill people with our bare hands, so I think I'm probably a shoe-in.
Lol. I don't care what year this is from. Still funny.

The percent of people who go into the navy to be "seals" and actually become seals are much less than the medical school acceptance rate. After undergraduate, medical school, then neurosurgery residency you're outside of your physical prime. Plus, people don't just go sign up for the navy and become a seal. You have to put in your time.

If this is a troll, you got me lol. Why don't you just run for President after your neurosurgery residency?

Ahhh... Thanks, I came here looking for information on whether any SEALS have become doctors. It was the first link on Google. My apologies.

This thread is ancient. I don't think you're going to get too many replies considering most of the people on this thread haven't been around for years. To answer the bolded, yes, some SEALs (and 18Ds & PJs) go on to become physicians after getting out.

SEAL to HMS student

http://hms.harvard.edu/giving/types-gifts/annual-giving/alumnifund/impact-giving

SEAL to Neurosurgeon

http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/c...am-Underwood-Finds-His-Peace-in-Bridgeport360

SEAL to Family Physician

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/America-s-BIGGEST-Problem-|-Kir

The percent of people who go into the navy to be "seals" and actually become seals are much less than the medical school acceptance rate. After undergraduate, medical school, then neurosurgery residency you're outside of your physical prime. Plus, people don't just go sign up for the navy and become a seal. You have to put in your time.

If this is a troll, you got me lol. Why don't you just run for President after your neurosurgery residency?

I know it seems odd, but I believe most of todays BUD/S students actually come straight from boot without serving in the fleet.