Any other reapplicants with this problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a reapplicant, I'm doing okay this cycle, but not great. I applied to 30 schools- seven interviews, but no acceptances yet - two-post interview holds, and 1 alternate list. I improved my GPA, my MCAT, got some more clinical experience, put more time and effort into my PS and secondaries, and applied in June. Since my interview invites in August, I haven't gotten any new invites, and I'm beginning to think that I'm not going to get any more.

The problem is that I applied to some of the same schools as last year, and these schools have either been the fastest to reject me, or have been quiet. Two schools I interviewed at last cycle have rejected me as quickly as possible. My state school, which I applied to last year and was rejected at pre-interview, in spite of my improved credentials, has not emailed a thing to me since my secondary submission, and I'm beginning to worry my app has already been placed in their rejection pile.

Is this a common trend, that schools to which you reapply are going to be more likely to reject you? Also, have I probably been put on hold at so many schools because of my reapp, or my lousy interviewing skills?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the OP. I applied to the same schools with improved credentials and received quick interview invites from them (some before I submitted my secondary). I applied earlier than last year as well so it might have been timing in my situation for these invites. I suggest you do a mock interview with someone before you go to anymore to ensure you are presenting yourself in the best possible light. Quick rejects pre-interview at the same schools from last year is not a good sign. I hope it all works out in the end for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

I really think my interviewing skills just stink, and I've done everything I can think of to improve them. Last cycle, I sat for one mock interview arranged by the pre -med office at my undergrad, and the interviewer told me I did wonderfully well, that I was bound to get in somewhere, and I was stupid enough to believe her.

This cycle, I went through my AMCAS, reviewed my extracurriculars carefully, wrote down what I did and what I learned from them. I then went through U Colorado's 100 questions for med school interviews, wrote down a few points to answer them (no script-writing), and practiced answering them with someone I knew. Then I went to the career center at my undergrad and did two mock interviews.

I think my main problem is that I don't give long enough answers to the questions; many of my mock interviewers say that I don't 'show my personality.' That's because I'm afraid of putting my foot in my mouth, which is something I have a tendency to do. Then there's the problem with blanking on classic questions; at one interview this cycle, I was asked what I knew about healthcare. When alone, or with friends, I can answer this question thoroughly (in fact, go on and on about it), but at the interview, I completely blanked and could only give a few piddly sentences about the healthcare bill. No doubt, this is why I keep getting put on hold.

Sorry for novel full of complaints, but I just need to vent. I've been really lucky this cycle in terms of interview invites, and I've come so close to an acceptance, but I have a really bad feeling this interview skills problem is going to keep me out of med school.

I typically have very good interview results be it job or medical school and I can say the number one thing to do is smile. Sounds stupid but think about what it does. No really. Think about it. You will release endorphins and your interviewer is likely to copy you (read Gladwell's Tipping Point) and smile thus forcing them to release endorphins. You will feel better and they will think, "that applicant made me smile".

I don't know if you have anymore interviews but if you do, smile and be yourself. Own what you have done and be proud of who you are.

I typically have very good interview results be it job or medical school and I can say the number one thing to do is smile. Sounds stupid but think about what it does. No really. Think about it. You will release endorphins and your interviewer is likely to copy you (read Gladwell's Tipping Point) and smile thus forcing them to release endorphins. You will feel better and they will think, "that applicant made me smile".

I don't know if you have anymore interviews but if you do, smile and be yourself. Own what you have done and be proud of who you are.

I second this post, having a degree in psych. I love that you cited Gladwell, such a great book. It's so true and is now physiologically supported by the discovery of mirror neurons. It won't make your interview, but it definitely helps.

Comedy, if you can pull it off, also helps, especially if you make a misstep: make fun of yourself and laugh about it. I read this one story about an applicant that couldn't open the door to her interview for some reason and after struggling for 30 seconds or so had the physician open it. The first thing s/he did was make fun of the situation and made the interviewer laugh. S/he got in within a week.