Any PC Enthusiasts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep. I had pcs back in the days of DOS. Then you crossed your fingers and prayed to whatever God would listen that your new software would run. EVERY installation of anything wound up being a major learning experience. Yes. Those were the days.... You haven't lived till you've learned how to reinstall an OS from scratch from a Dell tech (in India) over the phone....
Honestly, as I get older and have more responsibilities, I would love to have things work flawlessly with just a push of a button. I have built countless PC systems for gaming over the years and have always hated Mac. However, now that I have little to no time to play/troubleshoot things, Mac seems like a very appealing solution. I am looking to get my very first Macbook very soon for med school :D. My desktop/home setup will always be a PC, but for mobile use, Mac will be my choice.

Members don't see this ad.

And I suppose if all I wanted is results I'd feel the same. Maybe it's some sort of masochism. Maybe it's the thrill of hitting the power button on a new build for the first time and having it actually power up. If you've never done that, don't. It's like crack.

I guess I will throw in a pic of my current lover. It's prebuilt so please don't criticize me lol. I got it 50% off so can't complain.

IMG_0182.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometime prebuilt can be a better deal. I tend to accumulate parts over time when things go one sale and build when I have enough to make something. I've used both prebuilt and home built. The one thing with prebuilt is that you know all of the parts have been tested together. That can cause some drama when building if something doesn't "like" something else. The prebuilts tend to be a bit more snazzy with the RGB lighting. I don't spend money on lighting so my rigs are kind of drab by comparison. Is your rig a particular manufacturer? I can't see a logo....looks almost home built... I will post pics of my stuff if I figure out how to upload them....

Sometime prebuilt can be a better deal. I tend to accumulate parts over time when things go one sale and build when I have enough to make something. I've used both prebuilt and home built. The one thing with prebuilt is that you know all of the parts have been tested together. That can cause some drama when building if something doesn't "like" something else. The prebuilts tend to be a bit more snazzy with the RGB lighting. I don't spend money on lighting so my rigs are kind of drab by comparison. Is your rig a particular manufacturer? I can't see a logo....looks almost home built... I will post pics of my stuff if I figure out how to upload them....

Hit Reply and on the bottom left Attach files!

I guess I will throw in a pic of my current lover. It's prebuilt so please don't criticize me lol. I got it 50% off so can't complain.

You could still upgrade that in the long run. Replace the air CPU cooler to an AIO by Corsair / NZXT / Thermaltake. Etc. Since you're starting school soon, maybe it can wait. Lol. It's not bad for a prebuilt. Honestly if anyone were to get their own rig, I personally would recommend that route anyways. Prices of parts are probably so expensive now, unless you get MSRP form NZXT BLD or something.

What do the PC enthusiasts think of the new Xbox and PS5 since they’re more PC like than ever. Are the specs worth 500ish?

I never could get used to or into consoles (other than old retro consoles which I love). I'm too much of a "keyboard/mouse" gamer. That being said, if you want in on modern gaming without the expense of a pc, consoles are a great way to do that for the money. $500 is expensive for a console, but almost nothing for a reasonable gaming pc.

PS5 and Xbox series X will be equipped with a GTX 2070 super equivalent, which is a great card today.

Reactions: 1 users
Especially if they're selling the unit for $500...... That card alone for pc costs close to that.... But it's not unusual for them to sell the consoles close
to cost. Games and online subscriptions are where the money is made....

Members don't see this ad :)
i7-8700, NVIDIA RTX 2080, 2TB HDD, 256gb SSD, with dual 27in LED QHD G-sync monitors.

If you want beef in WC3 remastered or SC2, holler at me
I play SC2, lez go.
Rank: Masters in 1s and teams, archon GM. Currently 3s and 4s Master.
Join the channel PharmD when you log on. I got a PharmD squad, there's a PharmD that is GM, ranked 1v1 top 5 GM in 1 season.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I had 3 old 1TB hard drives so I put them in a RAID 0 setup to see what I could squeeze out of them. Not bad for sequential read and write.

2020-04-27.png

What do the PC enthusiasts think of the new Xbox and PS5 since they’re more PC like than ever. Are the specs worth 500ish?

They're all becoming more and more PC like. There's no point buying consoles anymore except for the forced exclusives (Ghost of Tsushima for PS). Even the console players use keyboard and mouse on competitive play!

They're all becoming more and more PC like. There's no point buying consoles anymore except for the forced exclusives (Ghost of Tsushima for PS). Even the console players use keyboard and mouse on competitive play!
Partly correct. Consoles still cap you with 30-60 fps. On the same skill level, you will get destroyed vs. someone with 240 hz monitor on a PC.

Seriously I will just get an Xbox series X to plug and play for most games. I still need a pc to play total wars though.

I need PS5 for God of War 2 and hopefully a Bloodborne sequel. And whatever Naughtydog makes.

Honestly, as I get older and have more responsibilities, I would love to have things work flawlessly with just a push of a button. I have built countless PC systems for gaming over the years and have always hated Mac...
Does a Mac even run games? I don't think I have ever seen a Mac used for gaming

Does a Mac even run games? I don't think I have ever seen a Mac used for gaming

They used to have Bungie games back in the 90s. And they have Steam on MacOS now. Not many games are supported.

Let's be honest, Macs are for people that aren't computer people. And that's fine. Just like how "car guys" don't buy Toyota Camrys. They just want their computer to boot up and log onto Facebook.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I don't have a ton of time to play anything during semesters, but I'm a gamer. My current desktop is shameful, lol, but once I'm out of school I'll look at upgrading it. As long as it can last through a couple more WoW expansions, I'll be fine. Everything is fine!

Nice specs for an awesome price. $1,473.43 NO TAX!!!

Most builds will be over closing in 2k, and over 2k after tax with the same specs. Decision decision...

Throwing money away just coz I can so unlike me. :rofl:

15.6" 1920x1080 IPS-Level @144Hz, 72% NTSC,
10th Gen Intel Comet Lake Core i7-10875H 8 cores
nVidia RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 2933MHz PC23400
500GB PCIe NVMe SSD
Intel WiFi 6 AX201 + Bluetooth 5.0
USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
14.13” (w) x 10.15” (d) x 1.18” (h)
5.51 lbs

Last edited:
Nice specs for an awesome price. $1,473.43

15.6" 1920x1080 IPS-Level @144Hz, 72% NTSC,
10th Gen Intel Comet Lake Core i7-10875H 8 cores
nVidia RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 2933MHz PC23400
500GB PCIe NVMe SSD
Intel WiFi 6 AX201 + Bluetooth 5.0
USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
14.13” (w) x 10.15” (d) x 1.18” (h)
5.51 lbs
That price that weight might as well get a desktop.

That price that weight might as well get a desktop.

You can't compare desktop vs. laptop deal. From power and everything, desktop is just cheaper and more powerful. But, good luck trying to bring your monitor and PC to a cafe or a hotel room. :D

You can't compare desktop vs. laptop deal. From power and everything, desktop is just cheaper and more powerful. But, good luck trying to bring your monitor and PC to a cafe or a hotel room. :D
Thats why the new Zypherus G14 is so tempting right now.

Going off your statement.

Has anyone ever tried to create the tiniest gaming build? I always wanted to try taking on a project where I try to fit everything into something similar in size to a gamecube console.

Thats why the new Zypherus G14 is so tempting right now.
2060 MAX Q is trash, this is worse than a 1660ti.

I'd rather carry 2 lb more to get 2070 SUPER. If you can't lift 2 lb from your car to a Hotel/Cafe/Airport once in a while for 5-15 mins, I don't know what to say to you.

2060 MAX Q is trash, this is worse than a 1660ti.

I'd rather carry 2 lb more to get 2070 SUPER. If you can't lift 2 lb from your car to a Hotel/Cafe/Airport once in a while for 5-15 mins, I don't know what to say to you.
Yeah but carrying almost 6lbs + charger to school everyday is a big "no thank you". 2060 max Q is trash but if you are in the market for an ultrabook with long battery life and the ability to play games then the G14 is an excellent option to look at. I have owned a few gaming laptops and will definitely not going back to carrying almost 8lbs of hardware in my backpack for daily commute.

How did I miss this thread? I am actually more into laptops. I own the following laptop which I bought when I received a windfall when I sold a Picasso painting.. No seriously I actually owned a Picasso painting at one point which I sold at auction to an art collection agency.

This thing is the beast of all laptops. After 4 hours of gaming my knees hurt from the weight of the system. I recently played Red Dead redemption 2 on it and the graphics were incredible.

PC games I enjoy:
Rimworld
Grim Dawn
Crusader Kings
Civilization IV
Dragon age
Skyrim
Banished
AI wars
The Witcher (I know it’s bad)
Prison Architect
Darkest Dungeon

Last edited:
Yeah but carrying almost 6lbs + charger to school everyday is a big "no thank you". 2060 max Q is trash but if you are in the market for an ultrabook with long battery life and the ability to play games then the G14 is an excellent option to look at. I have owned a few gaming laptops and will definitely not going back to carrying almost 8lbs of hardware in my backpack for daily commute.
Good idea for daily commute.

I don't do the student life anymore. My laptop is my desktop as an occasional carry on, not for daily toting around. I go for a laptop that focuses on performance > portability.

How did I miss this thread? I am actually more into laptops. I own the following laptop which I bought when I received a windfall when I sold a Picasso painting.. No seriously I actually owned a Picasso painting at one point which I sold at auction to an art collection agency.

This thing is the beast of all laptops. After 4 hours of gaming my knees hurt from the weight of the system. I recently played Red Dead redemption 2 on it and for a while the graphics were incredible.

PC games I enjoy:
Rimworld
Grim Dawn
Crusader Kings
Civilization IV
Dragon age
Skyrim
Banished
AI wars
Prison Architect
Darkest Dungeon

You sir play all the games that I play ;)

Good idea for daily commute.

I don't do the student life anymore. My laptop is my desktop as an occasional carry on, not for daily toting around. I need a laptop that focuses on performance > portability.

For me it would be battery life >>>> light gaming > portability > performance, plus I cant really do much gaming on the go/in public cause I am a sore loser and it will not be pretty to look at lol

So, I don't have a ton of time to play anything during semesters, but I'm a gamer. My current desktop is shameful, lol, but once I'm out of school I'll look at upgrading it. As long as it can last through a couple more WoW expansions, I'll be fine. Everything is fine!

Once upon a time I was a serious WoW player. I had 3 scheduled raids/week. This was back before I was married with kids and could do these things - 2005 or so. I quit when burning crusades came out because I could not handle the fact that all of the purples that I spent countless hours earning in Naxarammus (spelling?) were wrecked by greens in BC. It just seemed pointless.

Do people still play WoW? Does anyone remember Ultima Online? That game was my jam when I was a teenager. Nothing was better than UO - I remember pwning noobs at 2am with my Corp Por and a Hally smack and laughing while I excessively ate Hershey’s hugs... those were the days....

Last edited:
Once upon a time I was a serious WoW player. I had 3 scheduled raids/week. This was back before I was married with kids and could do these things - 2005 or so. I quit when burning crusades came out because I could not handle the fact that all of the purples that I spent countless hours earning in Naxarammus (spelling?) were wrecked by greens in BC. It just seemed pointless.

Do people still play WoW? Does anyone remember Ultima Online? That game was my jam when I was a teenager. Nothing was better than UO - I remember pwning noobs at 2am with my Corp Por and a Hally smack and laughing while I excessively ate Hershey’s hugs... those were the days....
The oldest MMO I played is MU online, still probably not as old as Ultima, and yeah WOW is still the most popular mmorpg currently.

This thing is the beast of all laptops. After 4 hours of gaming my knees hurt from the weight of the system. I recently played Red Dead redemption 2 on it and the graphics were incredible.

PC games I enjoy:
Rimworld
Grim Dawn
Crusader Kings
Civilization IV
Dragon age
Skyrim
Banished
AI wars
Prison Architect
Darkest Dungeon

How much did you spend on this? I refuse to pay 2k on a laptop.

Ryzen 9 4000 series looks like a beast.

Intel is in trouble. They are losing market share again this year for sure. They need to start moving on to 7nm to compete.

How much did you spend on this? I refuse to pay 2k on a laptop.

Ryzen 9 4000 series looks like a beast.

Intel is in trouble. They are losing market share again this year for sure. They need to start moving on to 7nm to compete.

In total I spent $3500. I gotta say this thing runs like a dream come true and I run everything I play on ultra settings.

And with a 17” screen - it’s the full experience. Everything about it is top notch.

Like I said earlier though - I justified the purchase because I made almost 15k selling a painting I inherited. I could have paid down my student loans but I decided that my electronic entertainment was more important.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Like I said earlier though - I justified the purchase because I made almost 15k selling a painting I inherited. I could have paid down my student loans but I decided that my electronic entertainment was more important.
I like a guy who always gets his priorities straight!

For me, laptops- even the beastly ones- are just too limited when it comes to upgrades and I'm too much of a tweaker to live with leaving the rig in one configuration for too long. With laptops about all you can do is upgrade RAM and/ or mess with upgrading the storage. That is just not satisfying enough to justify the cost. For me, upgrading to squeeze an extra 2 FPS out of my rig is a game in itself....

For me, laptops- even the beastly ones- are just too limited when it comes to upgrades and I'm too much of a tweaker to live with leaving the rig in one configuration for too long. With laptops about all you can do is upgrade RAM and/ or mess with upgrading the storage. That is just not satisfying enough to justify the cost. For me, upgrading to squeeze an extra 2 FPS out of my rig is a game in itself....

Yup - this is all true. I just can’t get away from the convenience and portability if a laptop. I can bring it with me on business trips, I can put it under the couch and pull it out whenever I want, and it’s so nice that you can just use it in your lap. It’s a trade off for me.

I bought a (relatively) cheap gaming laptop a month or so ago and am still trying to decide what I want to do with it. Was some sort of mobile i7, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, dedicated 8GB NVIDIA video card for around $550. Seemed too good a deal to pass up. Maybe run emulators on it?

I think the battery is rated at about 15 minutes if not plugged in....

• Haha
Nice thing about the end of the world. Lots of good sales on **** I don't really need at all......

lol-how did you know what model my pc is?

Sweet... I already own it on steam but this is a great find.

This game caused me to be addicted to the Wham song “everything she wants” for about 3 months

I play SC2, lez go.
Rank: Masters in 1s and teams, archon GM. Currently 3s and 4s Master.
Join the channel PharmD when you log on. I got a PharmD squad, there's a PharmD that is GM, ranked 1v1 top 5 GM in 1 season.

I had a preceptor who would not pass me on my rotation until I beat him in a 1v1, took me almost 10 tries. I did the old Protoss rush photon cannon cheese.