Any PC Enthusiasts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why camp out for a card that is marginally better in performance from a stock 3080 but significantly more expensive?
You can always trade down and get cash. A card in hand is better than no card.

Or flip it for $2100.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, congrats to those who scooped up a RTX 300 series. Anyone able to snag a 3080ti?
I have decent positions in the EVGA queue. Hopefully I'll get one in the next month or so.

PartNumberDateEnteredNotify Sent
08G-P5-3785-KL6/15/2021 9:27:24 AM PTNo
12G-P5-3959-KR6/15/2021 9:04:05 AM PTNo
08G-P5-3797-KL6/10/2021 6:08:15 AM PTYes
12G-P5-3969-KR6/3/2021 8:10:01 AM PTNo
12G-P5-3958-KR6/3/2021 8:03:29 AM PTNo
12G-P5-3967-KR6/3/2021 7:54:43 AM PTNo
12G-P5-3968-KR6/3/2021 7:52:57 AM PTNo

Intel Core i7-11700K for $375:
+ $5 off w/ promo code SLKDLS8833
Free Intel screwdriver! and Death Stranding for free.

I'm fine with my 1660ti for now. I say just get an Xbox Series X at this point. They are starting to get easier to find by just watching stock on Twitter. $499. 4k/60fps and 1440p/120hz gaming available. Get that Gold to Game Pass conversion trick and get 3 years of unlimited gaming for like $120. In 3-4 years it might be worth it to upgrade to PC, but the graphics aren't that much better right now.

Just look at Forza on Series X:

Reactions: 2 users
Xbox X is fine too. I'm not a console player coz I don't like to buy games lmao and if I have to buy a console, I like PS5 since they have better exclusives.

Got 120hz 4k 75 inch QLED mini led TCL 6 series I could use that to play game.

The 3080 is probably gonna pay itself as soon as 4080 is released next yr so it's kinda of a free gpu right now if you can get it close to mrsp. Mining is still making $5-7/day.

Last edited:
Tustin microcenter, barebone available 💩
SmartSelect_20210620-093552_Chrome.jpg

Tustin microcenter, barebone available 💩 View attachment 339216

If I can make one suggestion, you may want to look at the Lancool II *mesh* version. The mesh allows for much more efficient cooling than the standard version for a cheaper price, though it comes at the costs of being slightly louder. Stock fans can be replaced and the speed can be adjusted though.

I'm fine with my 1660ti for now. I say just get an Xbox Series X at this point. They are starting to get easier to find by just watching stock on Twitter. $499. 4k/60fps and 1440p/120hz gaming available. Get that Gold to Game Pass conversion trick and get 3 years of unlimited gaming for like $120. In 3-4 years it might be worth it to upgrade to PC, but the graphics aren't that much better right now.

Just look at Forza on Series X:

Had twitter alerts on xbox series x for months now and I still haven't been able to obtain one. Funny thing is, I have a ps5 and a 3080 which are supposedly harder to get.

Reactions: 1 user
I just bought Corsair AX850 titanium psu. Can't resist overpriced electronics. Thanks to bank bonus and credit card bonus though. I can spend a bit freely on upgrades.

Members don't see this ad :)
$85

In for 2
Too cheap to ignore
Buy now, ask questions later
Third shift manufacturing of Ballistic, just so you know. They do use Samsung internals and are XMP compatible. They are fine for gaming but not for mission-critical work.

Just sold my 3060 for $750 so prices are still elevated despite cryptos going down.

I have a 3070 Ti now and it's pretty good. Runs FS2020 at 50-60 fps 1440p High.

Not a bad scalp given the circumstances if you have patience.

Not bad for a laptop.
It's bad lol.

Quote from other posters :

This Laptop comes with a 100W (85W + 15W with Dunamic Boost) RTX 3080 which is pretty lower end for a RTX 3080. For example, Alienware m15 R4 can push 145W. Also, this laptop doesn't have Thunderbolt 3.

You can easily get a Legion 5 Pro at this price with a RTX 3070 t 145W which will actually perform same or sometimes a bit better than this low powered RTX 3080. Plus, you'll get a far superior QHD+ 16:10 500 nits display, more powerful Ryzen 7 5800H and far superior battery life. Normally, some folks want to stick with Intel platforms knowing their lower efficiency and performance, due to Thunderbolt as they have already invested in Thunderbolt peripherals. Since, this one does have TB3, that is not adding anything here.

Always go max power watts for laptop GPU, the low watts variant isn't worth it.

Good luck to you all.

Why the hell aren't they selling any anywhere close to Philly? I ain't driving an hour and a half to Delaware.
FE is a unicorn. It's still around $2000 in ebay. Let's just say it's worth camping for if you have a day off. There are people who have been hunting for 3080 for 6 months and unable to snag one at mrsp (evga or fe).

Scored 1 x 3080 at bb and I'll plug it into this PC I got for $1700 without GPU and monitor. I'll probably sell the extra SSDs 1tb + 1tb and downgrade the RAM to 32GB instead (I think I don't need 64 GB for 500 chrome tabs 🤡). Total cost for the built is $2k after all said and done. The hunt is over!

Screenshot_20210721-084722.jpg

IMG_20210721_051017490.jpg

Scored 1 x 3080 at bb and I'll plug it into this PC I got for $1700 without GPU and monitor. I'll probably sell the extra SSDs 1tb + 1tb and downgrade the RAM to 32GB instead (I think I don't need 64 GB for 500 chrome tabs 🤡). Total cost for the built is $2k after all said and done. The hunt is over!

View attachment 340807
View attachment 340806

I can't get a 3080 to save my life. Every single time "please wait...." even with 100+ incognito windows open.

I can't get a 3080 to save my life. Every single time "please wait...." even with 100+ incognito windows open.
They had a yuuuuge drop of 220 cards of all FE cards yesterday, in-store only.

Not anywhere near me. I did a lookup of stores in my state. Everything that had in store stock was way up north at least two hours away.
Some people managed to get 10-15 3090, and 3080ti to scalp. They were FFA after 10am if there weren't enough people wanting the voucher.

Wish I could snag that many and scalp too lmao 🤡 Too bad CA is too over populated. We had over 300+ lining up by 730am.

Some people managed to get 10-15 3090, and 3080ti to scalp. They were FFA after 10am if there weren't enough people wanting the voucher.

Wish I could snag that many and scalp too lmao 🤡 Too bad CA is too over populated. We had over 300+ lining up by 730am.

That's pretty wild that they didn't have a limit on how many you could purchase..

Also I finally got a 3080 Ti so I re-recorded the New York JFK landing in Flight Simulator 2020 at 1440p Ultra. 60-72 fps over Manhattan but slowing down to around 32 fps inside the cockpit near the airport. (I can get up to 110 fps at cruise altitude). Apparently it's limited by the CPU (5600X) but more cores won't help because the game engine isn't optimized for multithreading.

Also my previous 650W SFX PSU wasn't cutting it for a 400W 3080 Ti. It kept crashing to desktop in FS2020. So I got a 1000W PSU and it's fine now.

I don't know how people get so excited about new game consoles/devices these days. It's all the same stuff as 10-20 years ago, but with prettier graphics. There's no way in hell I'd ever drop over $1000 on game consoles when I get just as much entertainment out of old games that I've been playing for years. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I actually bought an Alienware prebuilt a few weeks ago just to get the weirdly sized 3080ti that will fit an Alienware r10 case. They are selling on ebay for 2 grand (or more) just for the card, and the whole system discounted was only $2200 so was like getting a whole extra pc for like 200 bucks. 5600x, 16gb ram, liquid cooling, 1000 watt ps- more than adequate to be a whole separate gaming pc for one of my 2080tis. Might be able to sell the system and recoup enough $$$ that I may pay close to MSRP for the card in the end!

I work nights and thought I could stop by a Best Buy on my way home. But I've been told if you're not there standing in line by midnight don't even bother. 300+ in line and running out of vouchers WAY before the stores ever open..... No point in even trying just by showing up in the am....

I don't know how people get so excited about new game consoles/devices these days. It's all the same stuff as 10-20 years ago, but with prettier graphics. There's no way in hell I'd ever drop over $1000 on game consoles when I get just as much entertainment out of old games that I've been playing for years. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I feel attacked, lol. My favorite games to play on Nintendo Switch are Tetris, some iteration of side scrolling Mario, and the latest iteration of N64 Mario.

Game consoles are cheap these days, I still remember shelling out like $600-700 (in like 2007) for a PS3. Driveless Xbox Series is like $300?

If you’re a flight sim kind of guy, I think MSFS2020 is worth building a whole new rig for (if you can find/pay for a GPU). Otherwise, yah…I kind of agree. GTA is like the same game from PS3 vs my gaming rig, but just clearer.

Sadly I always feel the strange need to have a state of the art rig (i9 10900f, 64GB ram, 2080ti -soon to be 3080ti) when I mostly play retro games and emulators that barely utilize the hardware. Other than a few retro remakes (Quake 2 RTX comes to mind) these games will run well on a very low spec (or old) pc. I do still play Oblivion and it does look beautiful with all of the sliders set to max, so there's that....

Sadly I always feel the strange need to have a state of the art rig (i9 10900f, 64GB ram, 2080ti -soon to be 3080ti) when I mostly play retro games and emulators that barely utilize the hardware. Other than a few retro remakes (Quake 2 RTX comes to mind) these games will run well on a very low spec (or old) pc. I do still play Oblivion and it does look beautiful with all of the sliders set to max, so there's that....

I'm running a complete new rig, 5600x, 64 gb ram, x570-E mobo. Still rocking a 1070 but I don't even need to upgrade because I don't play anything that requires more power. Last game I finished was Witcher 3 a few months ago which can still run on ultra settings.

Also I finally got a 3080 Ti so I re-recorded the New York JFK landing in Flight Simulator 2020 at 1440p Ultra. 60-72 fps over Manhattan but slowing down to around 32 fps inside the cockpit near the airport. (I can get up to 110 fps at cruise altitude). Apparently it's limited by the CPU (5600X) but more cores won't help because the game engine isn't optimized for multithreading.

Also my previous 650W SFX PSU wasn't cutting it for a 400W 3080 Ti. It kept crashing to desktop in FS2020. So I got a 1000W PSU and it's fine now.

One of the first things I did in flight simulator was fly a Censa into my CVS.

It just sort of sadly bounced off the building and landed on its back in the street.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get brave enough to try Windows 11 yet? Supposedly has some gaming advantages (auto-HDR, directplay). I'm morbidly curious to try it.

Are you happy with the 5600x? I'm really unfamiliar with AMD stuff, but that's the processor in the Alienware I ordered so I'm interested to see if it causes any bottlenecks. And unless you want ray tracing or something the 1070 is actually still a decent card.....

Are you happy with the 5600x? I'm really unfamiliar with AMD stuff, but that's the processor in the Alienware I ordered so I'm interested to see if it causes any bottlenecks. And unless you want ray tracing or something the 1070 is actually still a decent card.....

I did a lot of research on the 5600x when I purchased it. I was toying with the idea of the 5900x but the huge price difference didn't seem worth it to me. I watched a lot of Gamers Nexus videos on the benchmarks and the general consensus was that the 5600 was plenty for gamers. I don't do any 3D rendering or crypto mining or anything like that and nothing I would ever use could make use of the extra cores.

Yeah it seems to appear on a lot of "bang for the buck" lists. Again, I don't usually use AMD but the reviews I've read are encouraging....

Yeah it seems to appear on a lot of "bang for the buck" lists. Again, I don't usually use AMD but the reviews I've read are encouraging....

Same. I had always been an Intel guy and stayed away from AMD for a long time. I believe this was the first time the AMD has ever outperformed intel chipsets.

Yeah when I looked at comparative benchmarks to my i910900f it actually performed very close (and better in some benchmarks) and it is a cheaper processor. Back when I first started building pcs I used all AMD. But then Intel had better performance for the price. But I may have to reconsider that for future builds....

I have a 5600X and it's great for games. Actually AMD Zen 3 and Intel 10th or 11th gen are all going to be about the same in games because single core performance and IPC matter more. However, in productivity tasks like video encoding and rendering, more cores are better so Zen 3 has the advantage with the 12 core 5900X and 16 core 5950X.

Also AMD CPUs use less power because they are 7nm, which means less heat so they can run at boost clock frequencies for longer. However, the Alienware case and their graphics card coolers are notoriously bad so you might want to upgrade those first.

I run 5950x lol. Got a used one for half off. Plus, a 3080 FE + 3060ti FE making $300/mo when I don't use the PC, it's not bad to fund for a next gen PC.

One of the first things I did in flight simulator was fly a Censa into my CVS.

It just sort of sadly bounced off the building and landed on its back in the street.

LMFAO! I might buy this game just so I can do that. Except I'm gonna take a f***ing Boeing 747 and run it straight into Walgreens HQ. Um...in the sim, of course.