Any pharmacists here drive nice cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FenderBender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The pharmacists I work with in my area don't drive very flashy cars, probably because they are quite older than me. I am waiting on a 2012 Audi A5 S-Line. Am I correct in thinking that the younger pharmacists drive flashy cars, while the older pharmacists drive average cars?

Members don't see this ad.

the older ones probably realize there is a lot more to life than having a fat car payment...

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the older pharmacists I know have families.

Members don't see this ad :)
Define nice car. Nice car doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

I'm a pharmacy student and I drive a Volkwagen CC. $26,000 MSRP. I put like $4000 of mods into it and tricked it out.

My boss when I was at CVS drove a Volkswagen Golf GLS and tricked it out.

Aaaaaand let the "why would you ever want anything nice?!?!" posts begin..

Honestly, not really. Most pharmacists are intelligent human beings and don't waste their money on bull****. The occasional new grad might be immature and buy a $40,000 car right out of school, but they always regret it and realize that they'd have been better off with a less expensive, but still very nice car. You can get a 2 or 3 year old car that was originally $30-35k for like $20-22k. If you think you need something like that, look in that range.

I bought a '08 Sable Premier that had an original MSRP of $33k for $14.5k a few months ago. It's gorgeous inside. Basically a Lincoln MKS with Mercury badges. If you are a trust fund type, then I suppose it doesn't matter. Let your parents buy you a Maserati. If you want one otherwise, whatever, its up to you. It's financial irresponsible...it will lose its luster in a few years...and you will regret it when you are in debt over the thing and you wish you had more solvency for a down payment on a house...or a rainy day...or countless other things...but if an expensive car is your #1 priority, get it.

----

Another gripe. WTF happened to the nice, classic, "stately"" car? With the Town Car going away, it seems like there isn't a nice, solid car around anymore. Everyone thinks the world wants some Euro-ish thing. Bleh. Lincolns look so stupid now. The CTS and the 300 are the only nice, bold lined American luxury cars left. The Lacrosse is close. It's depressing to me.

Also, wtf is up with Audis? When did they decide to put individual little LED bulbs around the headlights? Don't they realize how stupid that looks? It's like your car is wearing eyeliner. And now Chrysler, a true, red-blooded American car, is copying them on the new 300...that trends needs to end. Stupid Germans, ruining everything...as usual...

The pharmacists I work with in my area don't drive very flashy cars, probably because they are quite older than me. I am waiting on a 2012 Audi A5 S-Line. Am I correct in thinking that the younger pharmacists drive flashy cars, while the older pharmacists drive average cars?

Most young and older pharmacists I know are smart and realize the best car is a paid off modest car. They invest rather waste large chunks of money. But to each their own. In our hospital parking lot, the doctors and pharmacists pretty much all drive modest older cars.

In my area the pharmacists who care about status and prestige drive flashy (overpriced) cars (i.e. high end Land Rovers, BMW, Acura, etc). The ones just keeping on drive normal cars. I drive a 2001 focus with 100k and rusted out door panels and an oil leak.

That's what one of my classmates wanted. He got it during rotations ;)

----

Another gripe. WTF happened to the nice, classic, "stately"" car? With the Town Car going away, it seems like there isn't a nice, solid car around anymore. Everyone thinks the world wants some Euro-ish thing. Bleh. Lincolns look so stupid now. The CTS and the 300 are the only nice, bold lined American luxury cars left. The Lacrosse is close. It's depressing to me.

Also, wtf is up with Audis? When did they decide to put individual little LED bulbs around the headlights? Don't they realize how stupid that looks? It's like your car is wearing eyeliner. And now Chrysler, a true, red-blooded American car, is copying them on the new 300...that trends needs to end. Stupid Germans, ruining everything...as usual...

Everyone's concerned about fuel economy now. Those classic "stately" cars weigh a **** ton and usually had V8 engines too. Plus, the handling is a joke in those cars. I was driving my friends Town Car for a weekend and I was not happy at how much I had to slow down for curves. Way too much body roll in that car also, something that I noticed when I tried to make it drift.

As for the Audi and the LED bulbs, it looks good on the Audi with the way their headlights are designed. (LEDS and brighter and require less power anyway, and I think emit less heat.) What I'm tired of seeing is when people who don't have Audis and have something like a Civic or other ricer bull**** go out and put LEDs on their car.

Personally, I prefer the BMW angel-eyes (halos) for the headlights.

Also, for the guy who wanted the Audi S5. Wait a little bit until they get rid of the V8 engine on their coupe. They are going to a 6 cylinder supercharged engine that is supposed to be a beast compared to the V8.

Yep. 1999 Toyota 4runner SR5 4-Wheel Drive. 150,000 miles. I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a pharmacist for 3 years and I drive a 2004 Toyota Camry with 130,000 miles with no car payment...

Reactions: 1 users
What I'm tired of seeing is when people who don't have Audis and have something like a Civic or other ricer bull**** go out and put LEDs on their car.

I keep kicking around the idea of putting an LED undercarriage package on my POS 2000 Neon with the rusty dent in the side & missing side mirror. :laugh: I figure the day after I do it, it'll stop running never to run again.

Edit: OK, now I feel bad about calling it a POS. It's not a POS, it's just starting to fall apart.

I have noticed that the majority of pharmacists that I have worked with live as if they were poor. Drive Toyota Corollas, some live in trailers, a few don't have cell phones, etc. Mostly the older ones. I am not making a judgement, just an observation. I hope their children apprihiate what I assume is going to be a generous inheritance. :laugh:

On the other hand I know a pharmacist who is building an airplane and another who sinks all his money into a boat of some sort. One other I know lives in what might be called a McMansion (at the very least it is a very nice home). I only know one pharmacist who leases a BMW. I think he leases anyway, he gets a new BMW every two years. Most pharmacists seem to value frugality though. So it takes all kinds.

Another thing I've heard from many pharmacists: you piss off a customer, they leave and oh, my, look at that nice car in the lot. I wonder who could afford that. Whoops, there go my keys, right down the side of it.

I think I should've renamed the thread, "Are there any pharmacists who are car enthusiasts and drive a nice car with good horsepower, torque, and handling?" I don't know many pharmacists who are into cars.

Nissan_final_site.jpg

I think I should've renamed the thread, "Are there any pharmacists who are car enthusiasts and drive a nice car with good horsepower, torque, and handling?" I don't know many pharmacists who are into cars.

I love cars; ive discussed it on here and been flamed pretty good. Too many judgmental souls here...If i told you what i drove, a new war would start...:)

I'll take a guess. Lotus Exige?

He drives a beamer.

And wtf cares what anyone drives anyway? You should see some of the cars I've seen down here in Tucson. My gf and I were joking about starting a weekly column called "What are you driving, Tucson?" with a photo of some "POS" car we saw on the road. I saw one with a stereo duct taped to the dash. I have also seen some with bumpers held on by bunjies, windows made of clear tape, missing bumpers, doors taped shut, and a windshield with like 5 thousand cracks in it. If people feel embarrassed about driving a Neon, Corolla, or whatever, it's just silly. Then again, who gives a crap if someone buys a fancy ass car? It's their money, not mine :smuggrin:

He drives a beamer.

And wtf cares what anyone drives anyway? You should see some of the cars I've seen down here in Tucson. My gf and I were joking about starting a weekly column called "What are you driving, Tucson?" with a photo of some "POS" car we saw on the road. I saw one with a stereo duct taped to the dash. I have also seen some with bumpers held on by bunjies, windows made of clear tape, missing bumpers, doors taped shut, and a windshield with like 5 thousand cracks in it. If people feel embarrassed about driving a Neon, Corolla, or whatever, it's just silly. Then again, who gives a crap if someone buys a fancy ass car? It's their money, not mine :smuggrin:

Edit: a stereo stuffed with drugs taped to the dashboard.

I absolutely love cars. When I finished undergrad at 22y/o and got a decent job (~$40k/yr as a banker), I lived at home with no debt. My car got stolen and insurance gave me $13k for it and I went ahead and put it down towards a $38,500 used BMW M3. It was the best mistake I ever made.

My theory was my friends spend $800/mo on rent living on their own and since i am living at home rent free, this is my reward. Best car I ever drove. All was well until 6 months later, I got really tired of the $500 monthly car payments. And I barely drove the thing. What I really wanted was a lot of money saved up in the bank.

Now I am a year out of pharmacy school and I can't get myself to buy a new car. Still on a 2001 Accord coupe reaching 140k miles with engine lights everywhere.

In the end, having a fat liquid savings account (and saving towards my future business) is keeping me in check.

With that said, once my car goes to ****s (I give it less than a year), I plan to buy a 07-08 BMW 335i coupe for low $20k's. Maybe I'll pay for it in cash or maybe I'll finance but at least now I have options and I feel like I have "earned" it.

But in the end, to each their own. There is not a "right" way to spend your money bc in the end, they are the ones paying.

It depends. If you are a young single guy right out of college go ahead and get yourself a P wagon. Drive it around and do some flexin. It will probably be one of the best investments you ever make.

Currently driving a 2004 GTO, which I bought used with around 3,800 miles in 2006 for a little over $20k - a screaming deal for a helluva fun and fast car that was essentially brand new. The handling isn't as great as I'd like, and it drinks gas like it was two-buck chuck... but damn it's hoot to drive. My plan right now is to pick up a modest, efficient car after graduation (looking at a new Focus hatch in particular) and retiring the GTO to project car status - a few thousand dollars would turn it into a beast.

I concur though, of all the pharmacists I've worked with, only one or two have driven 'fancy' vehicles - and they're all SUVs. :confused:

He drives a beamer.

It aint just any other bimmer!:)

The A5 is so sexy. I am getting a 2011 A5 soon, I think that the '11 has a more aggressive look to it... It is a hard choice though, I think the LEDs on the '12 are slick... does that s line 2012 have dual exhaust??

But some people are ok with driving a POS, I am leasing a nice car because driving a german car is so much more enjoyable that a rusted out clunker, but some people could care less, as to them a car is just a car. I beg those people to drive a nice ride then go back to a old clunker:D I know only a few people right out of school that got new whips, but do whatever makes you happy, you're only young once..... you could drop dead tmrw so go for whatever makes ya happy....

My buddy just picked up the infiniti g37s... super slick, cheaper and faster, but nothing touches the a5 aesthetics....

I have also seen some with trunks & hoods held shut by bunjies, [...] missing bumpers & side mirrors, door switches taped shut, and a windshield with two starred cracks in it.

:eek: You saw my car?

(Well, like two years ago before I got it fixed after driving that way for a few months...)

Yeah, I should get on out of the pharmacist thread & back over to the pre-pharm threads. Although I may still drive this car after I graduate, we'll see if it kicks it - I mean, what the future brings. It's all good until it rains, then I realize the driver's side door still isn't quite water tight.

My gf and I have 3 vehicles: a 2008 Toyota Yaris with 130K miles (the commuting to Phoenix kills me) and a small dent in the driver side door from where some woman hit my gf in the parking lot; a 2000 Nissan Sentra with 170K miles, doors that sometimes won't open, a missing sun visor, faded paint, and white paint on the bumper from when some jackass hit me in the parking lot (bad luck I have?); a 2005 Piaggio Touring motorcycle that is pretty bad ass with low miles, saddle bags, and a sweet ride. I love riding on the back of that thing. Sometimes I secretly dream of a BMW but, meh, I think I will end up with a Camry and on the outside, a Lexus.

I drive an Infiniti G Sedan. I lease all my cars, because it is the most fiscally responsible option for me. I don't want to turn this into a leasing is better than buying discussion or vice versa.

I like cars and I like golf so I drive a nice car and I have nice golf cubs. It's what I like and what I like to spend my money on. My golf clubs were paid for by my tax return and I know how to work out very good deals in terms of leases so I pay the minimal on my leases. I don't string myself out thin with car payments and golf.

Most people are "into" something and they will always justify the cost to themselves and others, because it is something they enjoy and why not. I probably have more money in my golf equipment that some pharmacists have in their cars. Some people would say, why spend so much on golf? I say, why the F!#$ do you care so much? The same people may have every Apple(R) known to man and a Home Entertainment System that could put AMC theatres out of business.

Back to the OP: The Audi S5 is a nice car and I would love to have one on looks alone. The problem I came across was one: Audi has terrible leasing terms and for some reason you always come out paying way too much. The lease buy rates just don't compute. Also, you can find much more care in terms of HP and driveability for much less. With that being said, I think it is one of the best looking coupes out and you can't go wrong if your buying it for looks. I was just really dissapointed with the HP output on such and expensive car, especially in the s-line.

My technicians drive way better cars than I do.

Im gonna drive an M too when I own my own pharmacy......;)

Have my close friend, who's uncle owns an exotic dealership in NYC, already hooked me up for the upcoming M3 in 3 years. Till then, modding away my current 3er.

I'm sporting an 08 Infinity G35 Sport. It's got everything I could need and more, and it didn't bust the wallet. Win-win imo.

I'm from Detroit, so I tend to stick with Detroit steel. My old Neon finally had the tranny seize last winter while in the middle of P4 year, so I have to put on hold my hopes of getting a Lincoln after graduating and instead settling for a 2011 Fusion SEL. Got a good lease deal and it's loaded. Not the fastest/sportiest car, but great none-the-less, decent performance, great on gas, and very comfortable. Hopefully in a few years I can get a fun ride.

I drive a 2008 BMW 535i and I'm not even a pharmacist yet lol
Bought it used for a great price with only 25,000 miles. Brand new is around 50,000$ and I paid no where near that. Buy your cares USED. Buying a new car is a waist of many. Plenty of great cars you can buy from 10,000-30,000 miles. After I graduate from pharm school I'm going to work hard 2-3 years pay off loans and buy a used BMW M5 for a reasonable price.

I'm from Detroit, so I tend to stick with Detroit steel. My old Neon finally had the tranny seize last winter while in the middle of P4 year, so I have to put on hold my hopes of getting a Lincoln after graduating and instead settling for a 2011 Fusion SEL. Got a good lease deal and it's loaded. Not the fastest/sportiest car, but great none-the-less, decent performance, great on gas, and very comfortable. Hopefully in a few years I can get a fun ride.

The Fusion is an excellent car. I actually really like the Taurus - it's not for everyone's tastes, but the new SHO is a hidden treasure. I'm very big on Ford's push to move to smaller, turbo'd engines... as I mentioned, a Focus ST 2.0 turbo would make a fun commuter car... :smuggrin:

Yea..cars are very technical investments. But it's really to each their own. Most people tend to really fund their hobbies, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they are fiscally responsible in other aspects of their life.

I am a car enthusiast myself, but my plan is to continue driving my paid off mitsubishi with 105k for another 3 years or so while I save up and get some investments going. But I am set on getting a 2012 Nissan GTR around 2015, when the price drops to around 50k or so. Hopefully no other automobiles change my mind by then:D

Yea..cars are very technical investments. But it's really to each their own. Most people tend to really fund their hobbies, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they are fiscally responsible in other aspects of their life.

I am a car enthusiast myself, but my plan is to continue driving my paid off mitsubishi with 105k for another 3 years or so while I save up and get some investments going. But I am set on getting a 2012 Nissan GTR around 2015, when the price drops to around 50k or so. Hopefully no other automobiles change my mind by then:D

I'd rather save up some more and go for the Porsche 911 Turbo.

I'd rather save up some more and go for the Porsche 911 Turbo.

Lol....I know....it seems as such. But I am not a porsche guy. I just enjoy fancy tech stuff. The only thing that worries me is maintenance costs. The GTR is a freaking video game! It really appeals to a very few segment of car enthusiasts, that's why it's not very popular. You gotta be a technology freak to enjoy it. You can control the acceleration mechanics all you want...it's crazy! And it rivals a slew of other high end sports cars in performance and handling for a fraction of the cost! Whew ....don't try to change my mind men...it won't work....lol:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSzNE17f1PY&feature=related

Last edited:
Lol....I know....it seems as such. But I am not a porsche guy. I just enjoy fancy tech stuff. The only thing that worries me is maintenance costs. The GTR is a freaking video game! It really appeals to a very few segment of car enthusiasts, that's why it's not very popular. You gotta be a technology freak to enjoy it. You can control the acceleration mechanics all you want...it's crazy! And it rivals a slew of other high end sports cars in performance and handling for a fraction of the cost! Whew ....don't try to change my mind men...it won't work....lol:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSzNE17f1PY&feature=related

I know. But I was turned off by their "launch control" fiasco. If you over use it, and it ruins the transmission, warranty is voided. And they have the nerve to have the car's computer log how many times and how often you use launch control, so they'll know if that was the cause of the transmission getting popped. Sorry, that's not good. Design a product that can be used and abused and if it breaks, the warranty should cover it.

I heard this is a non-issue now though? Correct me if I'm wrong.