Any plan to buy real estate this year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Splenda88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan is to buy one more property at the end of this year to put my real estate portfolio at 1 mil once I start making attending salary. Already have 2 properties worth ~600k (with ~ 400k equity).

Please share your plan?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do it in 2021 UNLESS a massive crash happens, or UNLESS you find an amazing deal. RE waxes and wanes in 15-20 year cycles. 2008 was the last crash. Right now we are experiencing the peak IMO. Every street corner has 'Houses for Cash' signs. That's dumb money. NEVER compete with dumb money. Keep your powder dry, and wait for a crash. Remember that it may take years or even decades. Actually, depending on how much money you are getting from rentals, how much you expect the properties to appreciate and what your tax situation is, you could consider SELLING right now.

Reactions: 1 user
I have one house under contract right now. And am looking at 3 duplexes today.

I plan on adding 3-4 doors per year no matter what the market is doing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it in 2021 UNLESS a massive crash happens, or UNLESS you find an amazing deal. RE waxes and wanes in 15-20 year cycles. 2008 was the last crash. Right now we are experiencing the peak IMO. Every street corner has 'Houses for Cash' signs. That's dumb money. NEVER compete with dumb money. Keep your powder dry, and wait for a crash. Remember that it may take years or even decades. Actually, depending on how much money you are getting from rentals, how much you expect the properties to appreciate and what your tax situation is, you could consider SELLING right now.

Waiting for a market crash to buy real estate is like timing the stock market.
The best time to buy real estate was yesterday, the second best time is today as long as the numbers work out.
I adhere by the 1% rule and don’t over leverage yourself.
It’s a marathon not a race.

Last edited:
I’ve bought one Class A property every year since 2016 (2nd yr of residency).

Still own all of them and all rented well.

Changed direction this year and rather than be a solo investor, which overtime becomes a nuisance to even remember all the HOAs, insurances, etc - I started up a RE fund to leverage and scale up.

Have a group of investor friends that I pulled together. Got a bank to give us a commercial loan to start off small but we’re now buying 2 properties in 2021.

Reactions: 2 users
I think home prices will only go up from here like ~6% national wide for 2021. I don’t buy real estate bc that’s not my thing, but I tend to keep myself knowledgeable of diff market trends.

I think home prices will only go up from here like ~6% national wide for 2021. I don’t buy real estate bc that’s not my thing, but I tend to keep myself knowledgeable of diff market trends.
What about all these people who’ve lost their jobs and businesses in this pandemic and can no longer afford their mortgages?

What about all these people who’ve lost their jobs and businesses in this pandemic and can no longer afford their mortgages?

1.9 trillion USD stimulus coming with 1.4K check and a boost of $400 per week to unemployment benefit with a longer time boost soon.

Good Lord. China is gonna own us!!! All the way round. We gonna be playing with Monopoly money soon.

I’m not here to argue the merits of the stimulus program, but rather possible counterpoints to why real estate prices will continue to go nowhere but up.

I would love to buy another property and have money sitting on the sideline. The market in my area is nuts but next yr I may think 2021 was a bargain.

My goal was eventually own 25 properties in the next 10 yrs but doubt I will make it but probably be able to hit 15 easily.

Waiting for a market crash to buy real estate is like timing the stock market.
The best time to buy real estate was yesterday, the second best time is today as long as the numbers work out.
I adhere by the 1% rule and don’t over leverage yourself.
It’s a marathon not a race.
There is a such thing as a bad time. Given the current uncertainties in the market, I wouldn't feel now is a good time. Houses are being bid up far higher than they're worth due to the temporary flood of cash from the stimulus. Once all that stimulus cash has worked its way through the economy and the supply/demand equations start to balance out again I'd be more inclined to buy. Otherwise I'm just leaving my cash in a fairly diverse stock portfolio.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Already bought my 3rd one July 2022, which is my primary residence right now. Watching the market closely to see if I should buy another one next year.

It wasn’t the original plan, but I’ve picked up 2-3 a year since I’ve been out. It’s been an interesting journey. I’ve diversified in price, length of mortgage/cash, short and long-term rentals, and location. Lots of headaches but overall it’s been better than the stock market for me.

Do you buy out of state? Or all local?
Also: pay cash if you have it? Or always go with a mortgage?

I’ve bought one Class A property every year since 2016 (2nd yr of residency).

Still own all of them and all rented well.

Changed direction this year and rather than be a solo investor, which overtime becomes a nuisance to even remember all the HOAs, insurances, etc - I started up a RE fund to leverage and scale up.

Have a group of investor friends that I pulled together. Got a bank to give us a commercial loan to start off small but we’re now buying 2 properties in 2021.
Class A? The returns on class A properties are abysmal are they not?

Do you buy out of state? Or all local?
Also: pay cash if you have it? Or always go with a mortgage?

Not sure who you’re replying to, but since it came after my post: both out of state and local. Some cash and some mortgage depending on the rate and how quickly I needed to close on the deal.

Not sure who you’re replying to, but since it came after my post: both out of state and local. Some cash and some mortgage depending on the rate and how quickly I needed to close on the deal.

Thanks, how do you manage the out of state properties? Is everything you own within driving distance, or do you employ property managers? And while buying such properties, do you purchase them sight unseen, or make time to travel and look at multiple ones in an area over the course of a few days, etc.?

I am considering purchasing a rental property in an area I used to live in and am familiar with, but is in a different part of the country from where I currently reside. I am considering potentially moving back there in a few years and so I might also be buying a future primary residence. I am financially ready to do this now, I'm just not sure how the logistics of it would work.

Last edited:
Thanks, how do you manage the out of state properties? Is everything you own within driving distance, or do you employ property managers? And while buying such properties, do you purchase them sight unseen, or make time to travel and look at multiple ones in an area over the course of a few days, etc.?

I am considering purchasing a rental property in an area I used to live in and am familiar with, but is in a different part of the country from where I currently reside. I am considering potentially moving back there in a few years and so I might also be buying a future primary residence. I am financially ready to do this now, I'm just not sure how the logistics of it would work.

I have an employee who manages them in each location. I tried property management through realty companies in the past and they pretty much scammed me, so I dropped them. Properties are within a day’s drive of each another. I’ve bought 2 site unseen just because I had to move quickly.

One property would be cake. I self-managed until I hit maybe 7 then I hired my first employee.

Class A? The returns on class A properties are abysmal are they not?

They can be. But just like anything: it depends. Cashflow generally isn’t as good but usually fewer headaches. Demand for class A usually holds steady even with a downturn.

It wasn’t the original plan, but I’ve picked up 2-3 a year since I’ve been out. It’s been an interesting journey. I’ve diversified in price, length of mortgage/cash, short and long-term rentals, and location. Lots of headaches but overall it’s been better than the stock market for me.

are you mostly in index funds? How much better has your real estate done vs the stocks? Maybe i got very lucky as I lumped summed into investing around covid market crash and have been dca since so about 50-60 percent returns in 3 years so far which i know is not typical.

are you mostly in index funds? How much better has your real estate done vs the stocks? Maybe i got very lucky as I lumped summed into investing around covid market crash and have been dca since so about 50-60 percent returns in 3 years so far which i know is not typical.

Yes, I have index funds - mostly VTSAX and a few other target retirement date funds. They’ve done reasonably-well. Maybe not 50% but solid returns.

The reason real estate has been so good is because of leverage and tax deductions. I got cheap bank money to buy real estate and aside from the down payments, everything has been paid by the renters. My only regret is not buying more.

Principle paydown has gotten quite sizable. This year, I’ll make about as much from real estate as I do from medicine.

And perhaps the most remarkable thing is that more than 1/4 of my net worth is my primary house which earns me nothing. It’s a beautiful home that my other homes more than pay for. It’s not a smart move financially but I love my house - it’s not all about $.

Yes, I have index funds - mostly VTSAX and a few other target retirement date funds. They’ve done reasonably-well. Maybe not 50% but solid returns.

The reason real estate has been so good is because of leverage and tax deductions. I got cheap bank money to buy real estate and aside from the down payments, everything has been paid by the renters. My only regret is not buying more.

Principle paydown has gotten quite sizable. This year, I’ll make about as much from real estate as I do from medicine.

And perhaps the most remarkable thing is that more than 1/4 of my net worth is my primary house which earns me nothing. It’s a beautiful home that my other homes more than pay for. It’s not a smart move financially but I love my house - it’s not all about $.
That is remarkable. How big is your RE portfolio?

Last edited:

You’re netting more than 300k from real estate..?

Teach us your ways. I’m all ears!! I want to get involved in real-estate and renting, but not sure where to start.

Well first you get a medical degree so you have a big paycheck and then you buy properties.

In all seriousness, there isn’t a magic formula and a lot of this was luck. I happen to put ‘everything’ into real estate just before the biggest spike in history that appears to be sustained (at least for now).

Well first you get a medical degree so you have a big paycheck and then you buy properties.

In all seriousness, there isn’t a magic formula and a lot of this was luck. I happen to put ‘everything’ into real estate just before the biggest spike in history that appears to be sustained (at least for now).
Any good books I should read?

You might be joking, but there is a lot of truth to that

I wish I was a MD during the real estate burst (2008-2012).

After I bought an investment property in 2011 for 150k (now worth 500k), I was then offered to buy some condos (2BR, 1BA) in south FL and price were 14-16k per condo. I just did not have the money to buy them. Now these condos worth 200k, and are renting for ~2k/month.

After I bought an investment property in 2011 for 150k (now worth 500k), I was then offered to buy some condos (2BR, 1BA) in south FL and price were 14-16k per condo. I just did not have the money to buy them. Now these condos worth 200k, and are renting for ~2k/month.
I guess the plan is to have enough capital when the next big housing bubble comes so we can scoop up cheap properties. I mean one thing about history is that it always repeats itself

I guess the plan is to have enough capital when the next big housing bubble comes so we can scoop up cheap properties. I mean one thing about history is that it always repeats itself

Unlikely anytime soon due partly to the 2008 crash and the increased requirements of homebuyers. Also, you can't really time the market and if it crashes in 15 or 20 years it won't matter much if you are waiting until then. Stick to index funds.

There has only been one time in history where property values have dropped all over the country. Individual areas, yes. But not the entire industry.

I’m not really joking.

Some of the deals I bought were completely stupid and would have bankrupted someone without my income, but I was able to recover quickly because of my day job. But being able to quickly snatch up deals allowed me to land some amazing properties before others could get into a bidding war.

Also margin wasn’t a big issue since I wasn’t reliant on the income from the property. Those with lower income have to have $200/mo or more cashflow per door to make it worth it. I could just buy a good property with no or minimal cashflow and give it time to produce.

I did real estate mostly because I didn’t trust the stock market and learned through trial and error. I’ve gotten pretty good at it now.

When you are finishing/just finished residency, get a biggerpocket account. You really do not need any books, ask questions on biggerpockets/watch youtube videos. Get a zillow account and spend 6 months looking at prices in your area, get a feel for what are good areas, look at price trends, figure out the entry point. Save up 100K, get a place and LEARN. You must LEARN from actually doing.

Mistakes will be made, but with a big MD shovel you can buy one ever other year. In 5 yrs, you will have 3 places that may not cash flow but should have some appreciation/equity. Look into LTR/STR/MTR. Each area has its own niche.

After 5 yrs figure out if you want to continue building your portfolio. If you want to diversify, look into Syndicated RE which is passive with historically high returns but you must pick the top operators; Its an operators game.

In 10 yrs and 6 properties, you can decide to leverage or pay off the homes with the RE income. In 20 yrs, if you choose to pay off the RE, you should/could be mortgage free with 6 properties all paid off. Assuming avg homes are 500K, that is 3M in properties that should create a conservative income of 150K assuming a 5% Cap rate.

Along the way, you will meet alot of great connections. Good Mortgage brokers, building contractors, like minded people. They will open a new world of options that the average man do not have access to.

This was essentially my playbook that took me 10 yrs to fine tune and what I would tell a newly minted doc to do.

I bought my first property 7 years ago. Currently have 9 properties not including my home that all cash flow with mortgages currently at about 30% LTV. In 5-7 yrs, I could use the income to pay off all the mortgages leaving me with NOI of about 300K/yr.

I started syndicated RE 4 yrs ago, currently in 7 properties and cashflows about 80k/yr.

Caveat that this was during low interest and RE boom. You can't predict the future, but I feel confident that there are always good buying opportunities in all economic environments.

My plan is to buy one more property at the end of this year to put my real estate portfolio at 1 mil once I start making attending salary. Already have 2 properties worth ~600k (with ~ 400k equity).

Please share your plan?
I know this post was old but Jan 2021 was essentially the best time to buy right when/before covid lockdown hit. I bought a place for 380K that essentially doubled in 2 yrs.

In our current high interest rate, I would Buy a good property that is under valued. There will be some really good deals coming up esp in the STRs where people are starting to go under water. Be happy with breaking even. When rates drop below 5%, these properties will jump in value. Refinance, pull out equity and buy another. I think this is the best game to play hedging that interest rate is/will peek soon.

I know this post was old but Jan 2021 was essentially the best time to buy right when/before covid lockdown hit. I bought a place for 380K that essentially doubled in 2 yrs.

In our current high interest rate, I would Buy a good property that is under valued. There will be some really good deals coming up esp in the STRs where people are starting to go under water. Be happy with breaking even. When rates drop below 5%, these properties will jump in value. Refinance, pull out equity and buy another. I think this is the best game to play hedging that interest rate is/will peek soon.

I did not buy anything that year. I ended up buying in July 2022 and it is my primary residency now.

I think interest rate has already peaked, but no one knows when it will come down.

When you are finishing/just finished residency, get a biggerpocket account. You really do not need any books, ask questions on biggerpockets/watch youtube videos. Get a zillow account and spend 6 months looking at prices in your area, get a feel for what are good areas, look at price trends, figure out the entry point. Save up 100K, get a place and LEARN. You must LEARN from actually doing.

Mistakes will be made, but with a big MD shovel you can buy one ever other year. In 5 yrs, you will have 3 places that may not cash flow but should have some appreciation/equity. Look into LTR/STR/MTR. Each area has its own niche.

After 5 yrs figure out if you want to continue building your portfolio. If you want to diversify, look into Syndicated RE which is passive with historically high returns but you must pick the top operators; Its an operators game.

In 10 yrs and 6 properties, you can decide to leverage or pay off the homes with the RE income. In 20 yrs, if you choose to pay off the RE, you should/could be mortgage free with 6 properties all paid off. Assuming avg homes are 500K, that is 3M in properties that should create a conservative income of 150K assuming a 5% Cap rate.

Along the way, you will meet alot of great connections. Good Mortgage brokers, building contractors, like minded people. They will open a new world of options that the average man do not have access to.

This was essentially my playbook that took me 10 yrs to fine tune and what I would tell a newly minted doc to do.

I bought my first property 7 years ago. Currently have 9 properties not including my home that all cash flow with mortgages currently at about 30% LTV. In 5-7 yrs, I could use the income to pay off all the mortgages leaving me with NOI of about 300K/yr.

I started syndicated RE 4 yrs ago, currently in 7 properties and cashflows about 80k/yr.

Caveat that this was during low interest and RE boom. You can't predict the future, but I feel confident that there are always good buying opportunities in all economic environments.

Great post!

How/where did you get into syndication? I have heard about it but haven’t really gone down that path yet.

I did not buy anything that year. I ended up buying in July 2022 and it is my primary residency now.

I think interest rate has already peaked, but no one knows when it will come down.
Save $, find something you believe is under value, if you can float the carrying costs, you will have a good deal when interest rates go down when you refinance. Investment property is a Cap rate game. When interest rates go down, Cap rates go down. Property Value is inverse cap rate.

Great post!

How/where did you get into syndication? I have heard about it but haven’t really gone down that path yet.
I have a friend that set me up with someone who syndicated properties so I ended up investing in some Value Add Apt syndications 4 yrs ago that did very well. I have since joined his group and got licensed to syndicate properties. We have operators that have great track records. RE syndications is greatly dependent on picking good operators. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you some information.

There is a such thing as a bad time. Given the current uncertainties in the market, I wouldn't feel now is a good time. Houses are being bid up far higher than they're worth due to the temporary flood of cash from the stimulus. Once all that stimulus cash has worked its way through the economy and the supply/demand equations start to balance out again I'd be more inclined to buy. Otherwise I'm just leaving my cash in a fairly diverse stock portfolio.
Reading this back the old adage still stands. Best time is today.

Don’t buy off Zillow, you shouldn’t the in bidding wars get some wholesale contacts.

Yeah. Probably just cash deals though.
No one has 500k+ to buy cash now.

This is like my co-worker who told me that I should not have to borrow money from a bank to buy a 500k home. We both have been hospitalist for only 2 years. She thinks everyone should be working 24+ days/month

No one has 500k+ to buy cash now.

This is like my co-worker who told me that I should not have to borrow money from a bank to buy a 500k home. We both have been hospitalist for only 2 years. She thinks everyone should be working 24+ days/month

Forgive me but you did ask what other’s plans were, correct? Were you wanting people to tell you what YOUR plans were?

Yes some people have $500k cash to buy a house, but $500k is arbitrary and not the minimum for a house.