Any practicing physicians of 6+ years ever wish they became a PA instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dent for the win

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been having an internal debate on what career choice is a better fit. I'm in my early 20's and I just started working in an ortho office. There are a fee PAs who have been practicing for a few years and have kids. They seem really happy with their decisions to be PAs. I've been comparing MD v PA a lot but it's hard to ask someone in real life if they regret their decision. I'm someone who like leadership positions but I also like having someone to collaborate with and ask questions to. I see that a lot of people say don't go into med school unless you're 100% in it but I also see people advise that PAs hit a ceiling at some point.

Another reason that I'm hesitant about med school is that I was a chem major in UG and I felt as though I learned more than I needed to to succeed in the field of chemistry. I know a large portion of med school revolves around step exams so I'm worried about burning out again.

From my observations being a PA is slightly more family friendly than be a surgeon. But I don't know how true this is with other specialties.

I don't want to make an immature decision by giving up on autonomy and more financial stability over the course of my career but I'm not sure how I feel sacrificing my late 20's and early 30's. There are events that just can't be made up at a later time like weddings or spending time with aging parents. And I worry about how connected I'll be with my family by the end of this. I come from a non med background and I already feel different as someone who majored in chem.
 
I've never wished I'd become a PA instead. However, some personalities are more suited to a PA. Autonomy and knowledge base are less as a PA, obviously. Something else to consider: if you go to med school, you essentially are in one field your entire career as you can't easily switch specialties. If you become a PA, you can change specialties throughout your career if you want.