any predental advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samiam0252003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the site, so not sure how this will work out. Lately I've been thinking a lot about dental school applications. I was wondering when was a good time to ask profs or dentists about letters or recommendation. I was also wondering if there was anyone out there that was able to get a job working with a dentist as an assistant so you can get more exposure to it or get a good job out of it. If someone can help me out with any advice, I would glady appreciate it.

thanks everyone and have a good night :)

Members don't see this ad.

samiam0252003 said:
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the site, so not sure how this will work out. Lately I've been thinking a lot about dental school applications. I was wondering when was a good time to ask profs or dentists about letters or recommendation. I was also wondering if there was anyone out there that was able to get a job working with a dentist as an assistant so you can get more exposure to it or get a good job out of it. If someone can help me out with any advice, I would glady appreciate it.

thanks everyone and have a good night :)

You should get letters of recommendations one year before you are scheduled to graduate. You will need them in May/June to submit to AADSAS or send them directly to the schools you are applying to. For example I am graduating May 2006, therefore I got my letters May 2005. Therefore they were availble for the current cylce to which I am applying. As for getting a job in an dental office. I was able to and it was a good expierence. I first observed at the dental office for 6 months and then he asked me if I wanted a job. That's how it worked out for me. You could also call dental office's and explain you are interested in pursuing a career in dentistry and was wondering if you could have a job. That's what one of the dental assistance did that I work with. It just depends on the dentist. Good luck.

first go to your school counselor. Hopefully they can start you up with some basic info. If not, the basic thing you need to remember is take the DAT, get letters, apply early and you'll get in. Make sure you apply to all the school in your state first before trying out of state