any psych majors here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heywhatsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if there was anyone who wasnt a science major here that is pre dental. are we at a disadvantage?? what if there is a science minor?

Members don't see this ad.

heywhatsup said:
i was wondering if there was anyone who wasnt a science major here that is pre dental. are we at a disadvantage?? what if there is a science minor?

I'm an english major and psych minor. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who aren't bio or chem majors. There are no advantages (in the eyes of adcoms) to majoring in science other than the fact that there are more opportunities to take upper level science classes. But if you do well in your pre-reqs and upper level sciences, and show that not only are you good at science, but at something else (like psych, history, art, etc.), I would think that you would be at an advantage .

Psych major here, too. I'm not worried a bit and I know they like well-rounded students. Extracurriculars can get you that title, but so can your major!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody cared that I was a psych major during undergrad. Adcoms like admitting a diverse range of people into a dental class.

I just graduated with a psy major, but with a minor in biochem too. I think as long as you do good in your pre-req classes and take a few more science like anatomy and physiology.. you'll be fine :)

heywhatsup said:
are we at a disadvantage??

You are definently NOT at a disadvantage! I WISH I could go back in time and major in Pyschology. Being a Human Bio major just meant taking a huge amount of advanced science courses that was just TOO much!

And what was the outcome for someone like me - NOT GOOD!

It was almost impossible for me to handle all the science classes, a part-time job, volunteering, being an RA, and spending a quite evening with my boyfriend. (And my aweful sci. GPA is an exact representation of how hard it really was for me)

- I sound a little bitter, dont I? - :p

Anyway, take my advice... if your GPA is 3.5+ and you score well on your DAT, it doesnt matter WHAT your major is.

It has become a numbers game now more than ever before!

Why stress yourself out and take over 40 science courses? For what?

You take what is required of you for dental school, plus maybe 4 other upper level sciences and spend the rest of your time volunteering and doing other EC's.

I have spoken to dental students who were:
Packaging majors
Communications majors
French majors
PLENTY of economics majors

So, you have NOTHING to worry about! :thumbup: