Any rads programs 4 years inclusive of PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I often hear that there are some Rads programs which do not require an intern year.

Would anyone know which programs these are?

All the programs I have seen require 1 year (transitional, general surgery, or medicine) before the beginning of the 4 year residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't find what doesn't exist. All pgms require a PGY1 year.
Perhaps what you've heard about are the integrated 5yr pgms where your 'internship' is scattered throughout the 5yrs (eg. New Mexico, U of Missouri).

I second that. There are no programs in radiology in North America that are fewer than 5 years, as it is a requirement of the ABR. The only exception is people with prior outside training on a case by case basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies.

The radiologist I know who said it's 4 years inclusive is around 60 years old. Probably when he was doing his residency it may have been 4 incl. I also vaguely recall reading an earlier version of Iserson which said that both types of programs exist.

But it's good to know that they're all 1+4 now.

It changed in about 1997. Prior to that each program decided for itself.
Medicare only reimburses the hospital for "required" years. Therefore if only 4 years were "required", those programs that required an internship would have
to pay the last year of residency out of their own pocket. Therefore,
the powers-that-be decided 5 years would be "required" so they were
all paid for.

I'm sure I've simplified, but that's the general idea.

If you did Nuclear Medicine fellowship via the Internal Medicine route, one year can be applied towards your Radiology residency. This is an option for those not matching into Radiology right away. There was a surgery resident in my program who quit in his second year. He did six months of Nuclear Medicine before a spot became open. He had great credentials and would have matched if he had chosen Radiology to begin with.

How is that different? He already did at least one surgery year. All rads residents have to do at least a medicine, surgical, or transitional year.

awdc said:
How is that different? He already did at least one surgery year. All rads residents have to do at least a medicine, surgical, or transitional year.

There used to be a requirement that residents take six months of Nuclear Medicine. The time spent in a non_radiology Nuclear Medicine up to 12 months, can be counted as part of Radiology residency. You can also be eligible for a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in NM. This is why time spent in NM is well spent.