Any reapps- need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icantplayspades

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so if my GPAs are low and my MCAT need works but I’ve graduated how would I go about improving?

I think my job pays for up to 6 credits so I could take science classes while studying to retake the MCAT next year. My GPA is lousy (3.3C, 3.1S) and my MCAT sucks (500) so how long should I work on my app?

It seems like a reapp may be in my future and I’m just ignorant as to what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe do an SMP and then retake your MCAT after completing the program? I agree that your GPA is low.

Thanks! Do you guys think and informal post-bacc could work as well? Or perhaps a second bachelors?

Maybe do an SMP and then retake your MCAT after completing the program? I agree that your GPA is low.

Exactly what I would do (currently in an SMP). I'm a somewhat similar applicant statswise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Do you guys think and informal post-bacc could work as well? Or perhaps a second bachelors?

I haven't heard anything good about post baccs/second bachelor's for people whose GPA is preventing acceptance. Your return on investment for a one year post bacc even if you get all As is pretty low. Obviously, this isn't true for people that have a respectable GPA but haven't taken prereqs yet.

Four years for the second bachelor's is way too long to wait, and it may or may not be enough to raise your GPA to acceptable levels. Anecdotally, I know someone in my SMP that did a second bachelor's. That's obviously not a good sign.

Personally, I would recommend an SMP. Or, if you're truly desperate and have no other options, you could apply to GEMS. You're guaranteed a spot at Georgetown. From what I hear, it's a very intense program with a pretty high attrition rate. In recent years, like only 17/25 made it through the program. I heard that GEMS students are told something like this: "The spot is yours; it's yours to keep or lose." Pretty heavy, lol.

I haven't heard anything good about post baccs/second bachelor's for people whose GPA is preventing acceptance. Your return on investment for a one year post bacc even if you get all As is pretty low. Obviously, this isn't true for people that have a respectable GPA but haven't taken prereqs yet.

Four years for the second bachelor's is way too long to wait, and it may or may not be enough to raise your GPA to acceptable levels. Anecdotally, I know someone in my SMP that did a second bachelor's. That's obviously not a good sign.

Personally, I would recommend an SMP. Or, if you're truly desperate and have no other options, you could apply to GEMS. You're guaranteed a spot at Georgetown. From what I hear, it's a very intense program with a pretty high attrition rate. In recent years, like only 17/25 made it through the program. I heard that GEMS students are told something like this: "The spot is yours; it's yours to keep or lose." Pretty heavy, lol.

I just looked into GEMS and it looks promising. Do you think I’d be competitive? Does anyone have any intimate knowledge about the program?

Thanks for the suggestion man!

I just looked into GEMS and it looks promising. Do you think I’d be competitive? Does anyone have any intimate knowledge about the program?

Thanks for the suggestion man!

No problem. Personally, I would check the past GEMS threads to see whether you're competitive or not and for more info.

Okay, so if my GPAs are low and my MCAT need works but I’ve graduated how would I go about improving?

I think my job pays for up to 6 credits so I could take science classes while studying to retake the MCAT next year. My GPA is lousy (3.3C, 3.1S) and my MCAT sucks (500) so how long should I work on my app?

It seems like a reapp may be in my future and I’m just ignorant as to what to do.

I'm in a similar situation with an even lower GPA. I'm also a 1st year at SIU's MEDPREP post bacc program and I'd highly recommend you look into it. The program offers both traditional and Masters tracks, as well as built in MCAT prep and GPA repair. The program is well known and the numerous medical schools I've spoken with treat MEDPREP as a blank slate GPA-wise. I'm very confident I will be successful when I apply to medical school next summer.