Any recommendations on a tie for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p9142

UR out of your element!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know virtually nothing about what tie I should wear with what, and when I picked out my suit the salesman didn't seem to know much either. He told me it was unacceptable to wear black shoes with a navy suit, which I know from SDN to be untrue.

Anyways I bought a red tie with a blue pattern on it, but everything I see on tv seems to be striped or solid. I'm not sure how much it matters, so I am asking for help from the more fashion forward.

If it matters, I got a charcoal suit with both white and blue shirts.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, talk to a girl, or a metro/homesexual. They should be able to hook you up with some good advice.

I've talked to both actually, but they always want something colorful. I thought med school interviews were supposed to be really conservative. Maybe they will give me a break on my lack of fashion sense due to the fact that I am an engineer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wear a white or blue shirt, nothing patterned, with a lightly patterned tie. I like to stay away from striped ties because I think they seem a little casual. Absolutely no palm trees, pink flamingos, or santa ties that play songs when you squeeze them.

The reason you don't see patterned ties on TV is that they are two busy for the camera and don't video tape well. They are perfectly acceptable for in person encounters.

I have two diagonally striped ties that I alternate between and one solid. Those are my three interview ties.

omg, just wear any old tie! its not that big of a deal!!!

All ties are not created equal.

For these interviews you really should have two color options:

Red or Blue.

More importantly, get a good quality tie (100% silk). The knots will tie and look a LOT better than some cheap $7.99 tie. If you catch a sale, you can get a good quality Tommy Hilfiger tie for $10-15 at Macy's or the equivalent (Dillards, Hechts, etc)

Secondly, please learn how to tie at least one style of knot. I hate seeing good ties with terrible knots. It may not seem like much, but it shows you pay attention to detail and you like perfection, especially with a solid dimple below the knot. Here's a link for reference.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/TieKnots/TieKnots.tem

Red... A) they're hot and B) they match any of the common professional suit colors.. grey, black, or navy. There's nothing worse than a navy suit and a blue tie that aren't the same color blue!!

I went with a striped tie, windsor knot. I felt confident and my fiancee told me I looked hot. I personally hate patterned ties. They remind me of 8th grade chorus concerts when you needed a tie so you just grabbed something atrocious from your dad's closet. Just a thought.

WRT to the shoes - TRADITIONALLY black shoes WERE unacceptable with Navy. This has in recent years been relaxed a bit (just like the rules for women wearing white) so the suit salesman was not crazy, just old-fashioned.

WRT ties, diagonal broad stripes and a wider tie are currently in style. Just make sure to pay attention to the little details (eg youg gig line is straight, your clothes are pressed, shoes are shined, nails are clean etc).

Good luck!

I was told by several NOT to wear red to a medical school interview. While ideal for a job interview, in an academic setting you want your appearrance to reflect modest and humility, ie not wearing power colors (the strongest of which is red). Im sure it doesn't make much of a difference, though.

I was told by several NOT to wear red to a medical school interview. While ideal for a job interview, in an academic setting you want your appearrance to reflect modest and humility, ie not wearing power colors (the strongest of which is red). Im sure it doesn't make much of a difference, though.

Not all red ties are power ties. Expecially those that are reddish/burgundy or those will modest patterns. However I think it's more important to have a basic tie than anything else.

I was on a recent interview where all the interviewees except for me had on black suits. Black suits are very aggressive. When we went on a tour of the hospital (a very conservative work environment) they stuck out like sore thumbs. It looked like a group of FEDS were inspecting the hospital. I think a grey suit with a red tie is a conservative but confident approach.