Any regrets/dislikes about going to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar

The Pacifist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering! If it does not apply to you, do you know anyone who has such problems. Can you try to be specifics and if they/you overcame it. I just want to know so as to avoid any similar faults.

Members don't see this ad.

I gave up an almost-six-figure income to go to medical school, and I feel a bit of regret every time I come home to my crappy little apartment, when I used to live in a really nice penthouse. Then I try to remember how much I hated my job, and how much I like what I'm doing now.

I regret not taking any time off, not medical school itself. I just hadn't had enough time to recover from honors thesis burnout.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was one of those who worked before going to med school (worked in I banking for two years), and being poor and in debt definetly sucks balls. Medicine is all about delayed gratification and you need to get used to the idea that you'll be well into your thirties before you own a stitch of anything while your buds from school may have made bank by that time.

If there wasnt such a catastrophic meltdown on wall street, I would definetly consider going back with my MD rather than doing a residency.

I cant choose what to do...so I sometimes think PA school was the way to go.. you can still treat patients and do surgery for 3 years, then peds, then ob...you can really do it all!!

But, overall, Im so grateful to be here!

~Pegasus

no regrets

but i hate the burn outs.

Originally posted by dacaveman
no regrets

but i hate the burn outs.

Do you mean classmates who are burnouts, or periods of time when you yourself burn-out with all the work??

No regrets. I just hate everything and everybody right now.

Originally posted by MD'05
No regrets. I just hate everything and everybody right now.

I'm also an M'05 and think I feel your pain.. I don't dislike my classmates but it would be SO nice if every conversation lately didn't have to involve "so how are you studying for Step 1? when did you start? what subject are you studying now? when are you taking it? what books did you buy?" over and over again.. ok, I know people are rightly concerned, but would it kill us to talk about something other than school for 2 seconds? sorry, just venting.

The money issue is definitely a problem.
And as irlandesa mentioned, all you start talking about with your friends is medically related. It gets really annoying. You really need to have a good group of friends outside of medical school that you can hang out with and not do anything medically related.