Any residents get hazard pay due to COVID? As a hospitalist...we did, but residents in our health system got nothing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also: What Happened When Medical Residents Asked for Hazard Pay | The New Yorker

In early April, a handful of residents drafted a letter asking for hazard pay...While the letter was circulating among residents and fellows, it leaked to Michael Ambrosino, the associate dean for graduate medical education, and to Steven Abramson, a vice-dean and chair of N.Y.U. Langone’s Department of Medicine. Ambrosino and Abramson e-mailed residents on April 9th, declining their requests.

“Now is the time to accept the hazards of caring for the sick . . . rather than focusing on making a few extra dollars,” that e-mail read. “I am not indifferent to your anxieties but personally feel demanding hazard pay is not becoming of a compassionate and caring physician.”

But then the hospital system offered front-line staff a “recognition program” that paid two weeks of extra vacation, or a minimum of twenty-seven hundred and fifty dollars in cash, and residents and fellows were EXCLUDED from the benefit. “

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you search, this was discussed extensively back in the spring and summer. Essentially, a few places did but most didn't. The reasons probably include a combination of some academic programs being in legitimate financial binds due to elective surgeries being canceled, and good old fashioned greed.

Im a PGY-4. My hospital gave us 1200. My moonlighting job gave me 400.