Any retail companies in California that do not make you sign a lunch waiver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting too old for retail. I can't handle the 12 hour days without lynch or breaks anymore. Does anybody know of a big box retail company that does not make their pharmacist sign waivers before they are hired? In particular I'm looking for a company that does make you give up lunch and overtime after 8 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

The first meal period is not allowed to be waived unless you work 6 hours or fewer. You cannot also "give up" overtime unless you are somehow made an exempt employee.

I'm getting too old for retail. I can't handle the 12 hour days without lynch or breaks anymore. Does anybody know of a big box retail company that does not make their pharmacist sign waivers before they are hired? In particular I'm looking for a company that does make you give up lunch and overtime after 8 hours.
California is a hourly state. You can't give up your lunch or OT. Your employer is ripping you off.

Members don't see this ad :)
California is a hourly state. You can't give up your lunch or OT. Your employer is ripping you off.

Not completely true... Grocery store chains that belong to the union, UFCW, allow 12 hour shifts without overtime.
"With written agreement by the company, the union and the employee an employee may work an alternate work schedule consisting of shifts of not more than twelve (12) hours at straight-time."
http://ufcw1167.org/pdf's/07AlbRalVonAPP_FCLN.pdf
Page 2

Although I've only done 3 years of retail (interning), I already need lynch breaks too... some of those patients just need to be strangled :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Not completely true... Grocery store chains that belong to the union, UFCW, allow 12 hour shifts without overtime.
"With written agreement by the company, the union and the employee an employee may work an alternate work schedule consisting of shifts of not more than twelve (12) hours at straight-time."
http://ufcw1167.org/pdf's/07AlbRalVonAPP_FCLN.pdf
Page 2

AWS is baked into the labor laws, even if you don't have a collective bargaining agreement through a union. So in that sense, OT is waived if your AWS agreement is 10 or 12 hour days, but you're still entitled to OT after 10 or 12 hours, or 40 hours in a week.

Lunch can never be truly waived...you can skip taking it, but you'd be paid for time + a meal break penalty (1.5x i think), which is substantial enough over a period of time that most employers will force the meal break. I do not believe an employer can require you to waive your lunch away unilaterally.

Most chains have come into compliance with this by now, these rules were promulgated in 17 years ago and most of the class action lawsuits for non-compliance have shaken out already.

you meant that "doesn't" make you give up lunch and overtime right? like others said, they can't make you give it up, and I haven't heard from anyone that didn't get overtime... do you work for an independent and the owner is ripping you off? how long have you been working? and are you sure you work in Cali? how do you not know or have ever asked about this before lol

AWS is baked into the labor laws, even if you don't have a collective bargaining agreement through a union. So in that sense, OT is waived if your AWS agreement is 10 or 12 hour days, but you're still entitled to OT after 10 or 12 hours, or 40 hours in a week.

Lunch can never be truly waived...you can skip taking it, but you'd be paid for time + a meal break penalty (1.5x i think), which is substantial enough over a period of time that most employers will force the meal break. I do not believe an employer can require you to waive your lunch away unilaterally.

Most chains have come into compliance with this by now, these rules were promulgated in 17 years ago and most of the class action lawsuits for non-compliance have shaken out already.

My friend who works for one of those grocery store chains that is under UFCW told me that she gets a 30 minute lunch break on the clock. So 12 straight hour shift with official 30 mins lunch break that she does not clock out for. To me that's almost a loophole.

If I opened an independent pharmacy this is the guy i'd hire. 12's M-F and you get every weekend off :) Sound like a deal? NO OT and i'll give you one lunch. Good? Lol

Reactions: 1 user
My friend who works for one of those grocery store chains that is under UFCW told me that she gets a 30 minute lunch break on the clock. So 12 straight hour shift with official 30 mins lunch break that she does not clock out for. To me that's almost a loophole.

Is that official with a CBA? Because I'd love that, it's basically an 11.5hr shift + paid lunch, being on site 12.5 hours sucks.

I know another union site that does 1hr lunch made up with 30min unpaid and 15+15min breaks backed up against the lunch. That's against CA labor law but my guy says the bargaining agreement supersedes that.

Can anyone in a union confirm their CBA is allowed to officially deviate from labor law. I feel like some of these deviations are site specific and not fully kosher with HR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If I opened an independent pharmacy this is the guy i'd hire. 12's M-F and you get every weekend off :) Sound like a deal? NO OT and i'll give you one lunch. Good? Lol

Sure!

::::calculates how much I could get from you in a lawsuit down the line for unpaid OT::::

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app