General Admissions & OTCAS Any schools W/O 5 yrs prerequisites rule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

0613Forever

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, everyone! I am here today to ask for some wisdom from you guys.

I am currently preparing for the next admissions cycle (would like to enroll in 2020), and I am already facing couple problems as I am looking for the schools. I have graduated from UW Seattle in 2016 with B.A. in Psychology, and some of the courses I took fail to satisfy some schools' prerequisite rule; the rule that says the courses must be taken within past 5 years. I am planning to take anatomy&physiology online courses in May, but no way I can retake all the prerequisites before the application cycle starts.

Do you guys have any suggestions for the schools that are NOT under this 5 yrs rule? I am trying to apply to as many schools as possible since I am soooo scared that I might not get into any :< On the side note, I am not living in the U.S. now which makes taking a lot of prerequisites already challenging. I am working on GRE right now, and it is quite a lot to handle, too.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!
 
Be careful with the online Anatomy/Phys because I do know a lot of places don't accept online for that one.

I would definitely call the programs you're interested in and make sure you would be required to retake the courses that have expired. Some places have different 5 year policies. For ex: I took two of my prereqs my freshman year of college 2013, and I didn't have any issue with the 5 year cut off.
 
I know when I was looking some places said 5 years, but meant “5 years since you got the degree.” So if you took a class in 2013, but graduated in 2016 it might still be ok, but if you had taken the class in 2013 and graduated 2014, it might not be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know when I was looking some places said 5 years, but meant “5 years since you got the degree.” So if you took a class in 2013, but graduated in 2016 it might still be ok, but if you had taken the class in 2013 and graduated 2014, it might not be.
I started the University in 2012, so for some courses I took earlier, they fail to meet the 5 years rule... which means I need to retake almost all the prerequisites. All the schools have slightly different wordings on this. Anyways, thanks for the heads up!
 
Be careful with the online Anatomy/Phys because I do know a lot of places don't accept online for that one.

I would definitely call the programs you're interested in and make sure you would be required to retake the courses that have expired. Some places have different 5 year policies. For ex: I took two of my prereqs my freshman year of college 2013, and I didn't have any issue with the 5 year cut off.
Yeah, schools have different 5 year policies; how much I wish I had planned this out in college. As much as I hate to take the online courses, I am living outside the U.S., so I don't really have a choice. Anyways, thank you for the advice. Gotta start contacting the schools!