Any Sorority/Frats applying? I have a question...

Started by NJDental
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NJDental

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone think being Greek could make you possibly stand out to dental schools? Im sure a ton of greeks applied, but im just saying.....Im in a sorority and I look at it as an organization that gets together and holds fundraisers for a good cause to make a difference, come together and represent what we believe in (our philanthropy is helping sick children in hospitals) and recruiting other members to join in on an amazing experience.

Believe me I know the stigma attached to the word 'frat' or 'sorority' but I believe being in one gives you a lot of power....and not for selfish reasons but for helping others...

thoughts? 😀
 
I was in a sorority too, and couldn't agree with you more. Although most people don't really understand the system unless they were apart of it. I don't think it hurts you to have been in one, however; I'm not sure it really helps you unless say you were lucky and your interviewer was an alumni...then you could do the handshake and secret password stuff, that might help!
 
Hey,

I think it depends on your situation.
If you were invovled with your sorority/fraternity and can use it as a way to show your leadership skills and philanthropic desires, I am sure it helps your application quite a bit.

If you can't say anything like that, I guess you are taking your chance by listing it as an extracurricular activity. There is a chance that someone on the ADCOM was a Greek (or maybe even your sister/brother) and there may be someone on the ADCOM that just doesn't like Greeks.

😀