funnybigbird54
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am an applicant in the current AADSAS cycle, and I am really struggling with whether I need to disclose an academic integrity violation from my freshman year.
To give some background, during my freshman year I received an academic integrity violation because I used AI to help generate citations, and some of the cited sources turned out to be inaccurate. My professor reduced my grade from an A to a B+, and I received an academic integrity violation.
At my university, students who complete a correction program can have the violation permanently removed from their disciplinary record. I completed the remediation course, and the violation was removed and It does not appear on my transcript or on any disciplinary record maintained by the university.
When this happened, I researched the AADSAS application and found that the wording at the time specifically instructed applicants to disclose misconduct even if the record had been removed or no longer appeared on a transcript. Because of that language, I fully expected that I would disclose the incident when I applied.
For context, I had just moved to the U.S. and genuinely did not understand proper citation practices or the limitations of using AI. That is not an excuse as I take full responsibility for what happened. It was a valuable lesson, and I wanted to make sure I never repeated the mistake. Since then, I have worked hard to demonstrate that growth. During my junior year, I was selected to serve as one of my university's Integrity leader and in that role, I participated in outreach programs that educated students and helped students avoid making the same mistakes I did. I always thought that if I disclosed my violation, I could also discuss how I learned from it and how I went above and beyond.
However, the wording on this year's AADSAS application appears to have changed. Unlike previous years, I no longer see language stating that applicants must disclose violations even if they have been removed from the school's records.
I also contacted my university's conduct office, and they told me that if a conduct check were requested, they would report that I have no disciplinary record.
Given these circumstances, I am genuinely unsure what the correct answer is. For a long time, I mentally prepared myself to disclose the violation because I believed that was what AADSAS required. Now, with the revised wording and confirmation from my university that nothing would be reported, I am questioning whether disclosure is still expected. At the same time, I do not want to answer incorrectly or appear as though I am trying to hide anything.
Has anyone dealt with a similar situation or received guidance from AADSAS or admissions offices? Based on the current wording, would you answer "Yes" or "No"?
I would really appreciate any insight. Thank you.
I am an applicant in the current AADSAS cycle, and I am really struggling with whether I need to disclose an academic integrity violation from my freshman year.
To give some background, during my freshman year I received an academic integrity violation because I used AI to help generate citations, and some of the cited sources turned out to be inaccurate. My professor reduced my grade from an A to a B+, and I received an academic integrity violation.
At my university, students who complete a correction program can have the violation permanently removed from their disciplinary record. I completed the remediation course, and the violation was removed and It does not appear on my transcript or on any disciplinary record maintained by the university.
When this happened, I researched the AADSAS application and found that the wording at the time specifically instructed applicants to disclose misconduct even if the record had been removed or no longer appeared on a transcript. Because of that language, I fully expected that I would disclose the incident when I applied.
For context, I had just moved to the U.S. and genuinely did not understand proper citation practices or the limitations of using AI. That is not an excuse as I take full responsibility for what happened. It was a valuable lesson, and I wanted to make sure I never repeated the mistake. Since then, I have worked hard to demonstrate that growth. During my junior year, I was selected to serve as one of my university's Integrity leader and in that role, I participated in outreach programs that educated students and helped students avoid making the same mistakes I did. I always thought that if I disclosed my violation, I could also discuss how I learned from it and how I went above and beyond.
However, the wording on this year's AADSAS application appears to have changed. Unlike previous years, I no longer see language stating that applicants must disclose violations even if they have been removed from the school's records.
I also contacted my university's conduct office, and they told me that if a conduct check were requested, they would report that I have no disciplinary record.
Given these circumstances, I am genuinely unsure what the correct answer is. For a long time, I mentally prepared myself to disclose the violation because I believed that was what AADSAS required. Now, with the revised wording and confirmation from my university that nothing would be reported, I am questioning whether disclosure is still expected. At the same time, I do not want to answer incorrectly or appear as though I am trying to hide anything.
Has anyone dealt with a similar situation or received guidance from AADSAS or admissions offices? Based on the current wording, would you answer "Yes" or "No"?
I would really appreciate any insight. Thank you.