Any students that plan/interested in Post-Bacc programs for URM/Disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising senior and I am really interested in doing those kinds of programs. I don't know particularly where I want to do it but I think that it will be well worth it.
If there are any students interested in those kind of programs, I just want to know which programs.

Members don't see this ad.

i guess thats nobody:( :rolleyes:

Most of the deadlines for these kinds of programs are already over. There are some pretty good programs, but I know the deadlines to apply have waaay passed. You may have better luck if you apply early next spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
That might be too late, unless you are not applying merely as an URM. The supreme court will probably rule before then.

I did the MEDPREP program at Southern Illinois University. If you want some details about it, drop me a pm. I know that the deadline to apply for this year has already passed.

But...He stated he was a "rising" senior

so I take it he just wants a list of the post-bacc programs available.

I'm doing the GEMS program at Georgetown this year.
here is the website where I first found out about GEMS and the other programs available:

http://hpap.syr.edu/listpb.htm

Originally posted by draino15
But...He stated he was a "rising" senior

so I take it he just wants a list of the post-bacc programs available.

I'm doing the GEMS program at Georgetown this year.
here is the website where I first found out about GEMS and the other programs available:

http://hpap.syr.edu/listpb.htm

I just want to thank you guys for your response and thanks draino15 for the link. I would like to know your response on the GEMS program at Georgetown and your take on it. I am interested in a program to pull up my undergraduate GPA, in addition to learning something that is going to be taught in medical school. How long are you doing the program? What are the GPA requirements? Can I apply while I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree? Does it require the MCAT? Thank you for your information.

These programs may not be around after this summer. I won't start about if they should or should not be around, but the Supreme Court case will either solidify them or signal the end for them. MIT, Princeton, and a few other schools have already cancelled their URM summer programs (non med school programs) because of a group based in Cali that is challenging the constitutionality of race-based admissions. I read the briefs from both schools and after speaking with their in-house counsels, they decided that their URM-only admission for the program wouldn't hold up in court, and they'd rather not subject themself to the lawsuit. Just an FYI.

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
These programs may not be around after this summer. I won't start about if they should or should not be around, but the Supreme Court case will either solidify them or signal the end for them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Supreme Court's decision. Colleges and Universities REALLY interested in diversity will find other creative ways to bring minorities in. Those that don't probably aren't any place you'd want to be as a minority anyway.

Thats a good point, I'm sure people will get very creative. I've also heard that the Sup Court is going to be very strict and specific with its decision (either way it goes), in order to clear up the confusion that caused this whole mess after Baake vs. CA a while back.

There aren't many schools out there dumb enough to try to pull something after a supreme court ruling against said programs.

I forsee law as a good profession to be in for the next 10 years, very good.

Originally posted by Raptor
I just want to thank you guys for your response and thanks draino15 for the link. I would like to know your response on the GEMS program at Georgetown and your take on it. I am interested in a program to pull up my undergraduate GPA, in addition to learning something that is going to be taught in medical school. How long are you doing the program? What are the GPA requirements? Can I apply while I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree? Does it require the MCAT? Thank you for your information.

Well...i graduated from Duke 3 weeks ago with a 2.8 gpa and a 2.20 science gpa (duke is no joke). I took the MCAT and got somewhere in the low 20s, but applied to medschools to see if i could get in. No luck there. So i applied to some post-baccs - namely: VCU, UConn, Drexel MSP, UMDNJ Masters in Biomedical Science, Duquesne, and GEMS.

So far I go into UMDNJ's masters program, and GEMS...I havent heard from VCU or Drexel yet though.

So you can tell from my numbers that they were competive for post-baccs but not for medschool. Which is a good and a bad thing...depending on how you look at it. GEMS was looking for MCATs of at least 19 and a GPA of at least 2.7. And I think you had to have applied to med-school the year you apply to GEMS. But there may be exceptions.

GEMS is a one year post-bacc. Where we take 3 med school classes (Embrology, Endocrinology, and Physiology) side-by-side with medical school students, AND a number of graduate level electives one of which is BioChem.

The program requires us to Pass, High Pass or Honor all of our classes (which means a LOW PASS is unacceptable...therefore P doesn't = MD). So its pretty rigorous.

Usually they only have 25 people in the program per year, and i know last year they only had 17, so the applicant process is hardcore, but I think it might be what your lookin for. Applications are available in February of each year.

let me know if that helps.

Originally posted by draino15
Well...i graduated from Duke 3 weeks ago with a 2.8 gpa and a 2.20 science gpa (duke is no joke).

Congratulations on graduating from Duke !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Carolina grad, I know first hand just how difficult finishing from Duke can be especially for a URM.

As for the GEMS acceptance, go head' and work it!!!

especially for a URM.

Whine some more.

drano15, how many from GEMS end up matriculating into G-town Med each year?

Originally posted by birdie
drano15, how many from GEMS end up matriculating into G-town Med each year?

they say its about 87% each year. So for 25 people thats about 22 of 25 that end up going to g'town. Im sure the other 3 end up getting in somewhere else, but they dont keep stats on that. But....if I end up being one of the 3...I'm gonna "act da fool!"

And for Klinzou,
Nobody was whining....but considering that the black male is an "endangered species" on college campuses, it is a feat to be graduating from ANY college.

If you can stand to move to the middle of nowhere, MEDPREP at Southern Illinois University is a great program for disadvantaged students. It's a 2 year long program that prepares you for the MCAT and also allows you to take upper level science/medical school courses. Many people only stay for a year in the program. I was one of them. It is an extremely supportive program with very dedicated faculty working extraordinarily hard for the students to succeed. The only draw back of the program is its location. It's in Carbondale, Illinois which is stuck between Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee. If anyone wants info on the program feel free to pm me.