Any study tips for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DHoang3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of school for 3 going on 4 years now, just working and preparing. This last term, I had gotten accepted into an SMP program and did poorly that I needed an A to pass the class. Fortunately I was accepted into a medical school and dropped out before grades counted. I want to really improve my study habits for med school so that I don't fall into the hole of trying to catch up all semester. I worked hard during my SMP but for some reason I made stupid mistakes during the exams. I usually just studied by myself until like 2 weeks before the exams, and then I would group study and do practice problems. Any advice in habit changes that I could implement? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
WHEN YOU START: Just try to read everyday. Cramming can only get u so far. As of now just enjoy freedom... You will eventually find a rhythm that suits you.
Brushing up on medical terminology is never a bad thing if your board

Reactions: 1 users

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for pointing that out. This place has so many threads and places it was hard to find that post!

Reactions: 1 user
Not in med school yet but I just finished my first semester of an SMP after being out of school for 3 years. I did well on my midterms but still had room for improvement to finish strong in my classes so I reevaluated what I was doing for studying. What really helped was having a basic study schedule that I planned for the week and a study "tracker" for my exams. I worked it out so that I had a few days before the exam to just review difficult material or content that needed more attention.
I also tried to study about 6 hrs each day but broke it up into chunks throughout the day so it was more manageable. I started using anki too and it worked very well. I also spent more time trying to actively learn the material in the first pass so when I went to study it again later it was much easier to review. It was weird because it felt unproductive at first because it took much more time but it ended up being more effective for me.
Sleeping at least 7 hrs definitely helps productivity too

Reactions: 1 users