Any substitute to mind numbingly reading Robbins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently cracked open this behemoth of a book and I was curious if there was a substitute to having to read every little piece of minutiae in here? Going to use pathoma as a supplement but curious if there’s outside options or if I just need to bite the bullet and just read. Thanks y’all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

People will argue this point, I'm sure, but Pathoma + whatever slide info is supplied to you + supplementation with Robbins + interwebs will paint the picture you need. Plus or minus uptodate. Not that you need all of these, but just pick and choose as you need to add on more info to your understanding. Robbins isn't that daunting when you focus on a single disease process. But if you're trying to sit down and read a chapter like a regular book, then you might as well start gnawing at your foot as well.

Tulane has a outline of Robbins. Also use the outlines the upper classmen have provided as they are comprehensive. Just read it once and add to the outline if it’s missing something. Plus pathoma obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane has a outline of Robbins. Also use the outlines the upper classmen have provided as they are comprehensive. Just read it once and add to the outline if it’s missing something. Plus pathoma obviously.

Where do you find that Tulane outline?

Where do you find that Tulane outline?

The Tulane outline is kinda old and not that great. The outlines floating around from upperclassmen will be better. The most ideal situation would be to split up the work and outline w/ 2-3 people (if you want the get good grades). If you only care to pass, and want to focus on boards, do mainly Pathoma + skim Robbins and lectures.

We read Robbins for second year (PBL curriculum). Our tests were based on the reading so you really had to read at least some version of Robbins to make sure you covered the right material, but a lot of people did Pathoma + “Baby Robbins” or “Medium Robbins” and did just fine.

Amazon product

Amazon product

I always watched pathoma, went through the Robbins question book for that section, and then went over my professors slides. Later you’ll do UWorld questions and you can google to your delight.

I found the above was more than enough to do well. Never actually touched the Robbins text.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t personally use it but I hear Goljan Rapid Review Path is a great resource. Although being at KCU I also hear that your profs will test on the details that are essentially only found in Robbins. One thing you could do is watch Pathoma first to get a grasp of the foundation of a disease process and then go through the correlating Robbins pages to pick up the minutia. Robbins is easier to understand if you already kind of know what is going on.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t personally use it but I hear Goljan Rapid Review Path is a great resource. Although being at KCU I also hear that your profs will test on the details that are essentially only found in Robbins. One thing you could do is watch Pathoma first to get a grasp of the foundation of a disease process and then go through the correlating Robbins pages to pick up the minutia. Robbins is easier to understand if you already kind of know what is going on.

That's what I do.. Try to watch pathoma before lecture, then figure out what they are focusing on, detail-wise. Then go back to Robbins to get the context, bceause a lot of time for us, the path slides are like, bits and pieces of random details and it makes much more sense after you see the paragraph above and below. Also Robbins has a question book for review and it's amazing. Run through those questions before the exam and it helps me a lot

Nope. Get used to bleeding from your eyes all second year. It'll make boards prep almost like a vacation in comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Get used to bleeding from your eyes all second year. It'll make boards prep almost like a vacation in comparison.

glad I decided not to go to KCU lol

As a fellow student, once I got past Chapter 1, I started using pathoma as a prep for reading Robbins. It is making it so much more manageable to go through. First chapter wasn't on Pathoma, unfortunately. Hope you figure something out that works for you!

Reactions: 1 users