What to review/read before medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lugh

Professional Worrier
Reaction score
Hi, I just want to make sure I am using my time effectively. Any suggestions for videos, books, texts, journals, etc. to read/watch before medical school to get my head back into the hang of things. I took a gap year... might be a little foggy on some topics. Anything would help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would make a plan for how you want to study for your classes. Most people won't advise studying certain topics before medical school. Get acquainted with Anki (Download the AnKing deck to save time on making cards and watch a video on how to use it), buy a copy of Pathoma and First Aid to supplement your lectures. I personally wouldn't dive into these resources until you receive the lecture content on them but it's good to have them from day 1. Hope this helps!

Make sure to read every historical SDN thread by an accepted premed asking about how to prestudy for medical school. You might notice a pattern...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
White coat investor.

Reactions: 3 users
if you do prestudy, learn stuff like some basic anatomy. but honestly you'll be drinking from the firehose in no time

Only learn about the resources available but do not try studying it.
Kinda know about people different "algorithms" for studying. So that you'll be able to adapt when the fire hose comes at you.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, everyone starts at square one at the beginning of med school no matter your background or how much you pre-study. I have classmates who just came from PhDs and some straight from undergrad, others took 10+ gap years. The ones who did really well in my class did so because of their ability to be flexible and adjust their routines/study habits/schedules to whatever medical school thew at them.

Reactions: 8 users
Honestly, everyone starts at square one at the beginning of med school no matter your background or how much you pre-study. I have classmates who just came from PhDs and some straight from undergrad, others took 10+ gap years. The ones who did really well in my class did so because of their ability to be flexible and adjust their routines/study habits/schedules to whatever medical school thew at them.

Agreed. As several other posters have mentioned, study when you get to school. Studying before hand ls not likely going to provide a substantial benefit.

if anything i would research about how to get research done.

Reactions: 1 user
White coat investor.
I have not heard about this but it seems to be a very valuable resource. Will purchase.
if anything i would research about how to get research done.
Honestly, I was really worried about this. Didn't think to research about research. Will do.

Thank y'all! I have Anki but I do need to get more acquainted with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
~Nothing~

Nothing you study now will significantly help you and will only cause you extra stress.

You have more free time now than you will have in the next 7+ years, go travel if you have money, go spend time with loved ones because you will miss important events in the coming years, go develop a hobby that you can maintain in med school/residency.

I have not heard about this but it seems to be a very valuable resource. Will purchase.

Honestly, I was really worried about this. Didn't think to research about research. Will do.

Thank y'all! I have Anki but I do need to get more acquainted with it.
Yes. Do learn how to use anki without actually studying with anki.
IMAGE OCCLUSION!!!

Anki does seem to reign supreme so I assume that's what I am going to use
but does anyone have reasoning why Anki is the choice over Quizlet?

Quizlet to me seems to be more aesthetically pleasing and way more intuitive to use
but I've heard nothing but Anki.

Quizlet to me seems to be more aesthetically pleasing and way more intuitive to use
I would say that memcode is the best of both worlds with occlusions/repetition like Anki and an aesthetic like Quizlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

anking is the goat. that's why people use anki

Yes. Do learn how to use anki without actually studying with anki.
IMAGE OCCLUSION!!!
eh, just do the pre-made zanki/anking decks. Making your own cards is a whole lot of effort for very little gain.

Spaced repetition. Spits cards you struggle with back at you more frequently. Cards that are easy get sent to narnia but not gone. As you learn the card, the less frequently you see it.

Please don't study before school. Instead, this is what you should do:
  1. Spend your time investing in your relationships and enjoying the people you have in your life. I am halfway through and have already missed weddings, funerals, holidays, and more. Part of being good at medicine is being present where you are. Do that this summer with your loved ones, and then be present at med school when you need to buckle down
  2. Square away your mental and physical health. Get those refills on medications, see the dentist, get a checkup, and come up with game plans for chronic illnesses. Be prepared and come up with a plan. The same goes for your mental health, I came into med school never having struggled and developed panic attacks second semester of my first year. I had already established a doctor and had researched therapy options so I ended up not needing an LOA or having it affect my academic performance.
  3. Make a list of the things you love that take up variable amounts of time. The biggest complaint I hear from my peers is that they don't have any hobbies or things they do outside of medical school. Often times your peers in school are your social circle, and then you go to school all day, it can be too much. I knit, like to bike, and have a running list of recipes I want to try. Maybe you only have 15 minutes to spare, but having things that aren't a school in your life can be refreshing when you're in the thick of it. I'm coming out of dedicated and I found my performance often went up if I took an hour to do something for myself.
Godspeed on this new journey!

4. Learn to make a few reasonably healthy meals that are simple enough to do with your brain mostly off. Include a couple of vegetarian options even if you're not currently vegetarian - you never know when an anatomy lab or parasite lecture is going to put you off meat for a little while

4. Learn to make a few reasonably healthy meals that are simple enough to do with your brain mostly off. Include a couple of vegetarian options even if you're not currently vegetarian - you never know when an anatomy lab or parasite lecture is going to put you off meat for a little while
1655228506378.png

• Haha

I mean to each their own, but the thought of eating nothing but frozen grocery store dinners just makes me sad. Even with my brain off I can at least throw together rice and beans + whatever vegetables I have on hand and it tastes way better than this junk. Cheaper too. Food is not just energy + nutrients. At least some of the time it should also bring joy, especially on days when school does it's best to suck the joy out of everything else. Also being able to feed yourself is a basic life skill. Might as well learn a couple of tricks now while you have the time and energy to do so.

As in college, just learn to meal prep on a Sunday. Prep lunches for school and actually cook or eat out with friends for dinner. Coffee for breakfast.

WCI offers a free copy to each student via a student "Champion" for the class.
I suggest applying for it, they send you a copy for each student and you distribute it to each classmate.