any suggestion for preparing mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaska

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to take August mcat but my problem is that I haven't taken one year of bio (just
completed one semester of bio and one semester
of biochem but no physiolocal portion of bio).
Also, I'm thinking of studying for mcat myself (
no prep course) since the prep course is too costy for me. Anyone's willing to give me suggestion on what mcat prep books I should use and how to study for physiological portion of bio?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

<a href="http://www.berkeley-review.com" target="_blank">www.berkeley-review.com</a> their prep books are expensive, but very comprehensive, and you will get all the physio you need in them.

Hi alaska, perhaps you could buy (or better yet, assume) used Kaplan or TPR review books. Check out the MCAT discussion group or the SDN Classifieds. These are probably the most comprehensive review materials out there.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the best study plan that you could possibly get yourself into is by studying all your old course material first. Every morning I have been getting into the habit of reading boring articles out of the Wall Street journal and pretending like its a MCAT passage to force myself into a "critical" thinking mind set that the MCAT requires. The Kaplan prep book is excellent you can get this for free at your local library. And most of all, spending the allocated time taking the practice exams just like your were taking it on test day. Practice makes perfect! :clap:

I used *only* (yes, only) a Kaplan MCAT prep book to prepare for the MCAT. I made sure to learn/know everything in the book, took the practice tests at the back of the book as well as the half-test on the CD, and I did very well on the MCAT.

I'm sure some of the other review books and practice exams along with a Kaplan book will enable you to do just fine without taking the course.

Thanks a lot guys four all your helpful inputs!
:D :D :D

hey, alaska, are you one of us (mpp, jdub, and WMN being the other Alaskans besides me that I know of on SDN)? Welcome to SDN, and good luck on the MCAT!! I took the August MCAT last year. I did take the prep course, in fact twice (the fee is nominal the second time) cuz I wasn't diligent enought the first time around!

Best advice:

Don't worry about it that much. If you take an honest interest in your science classes and understood them, you will do well on the MCAT.

The students the MCAT hurts are the ones who cram and forget things. Don't memorize things like a monkey, take a sincere interest in what you're learning. Even organic chemistry will be useful later on as a doctor.

In the future, patients will know more about their disease than you will, so having a firm understanding of logic, rather than memorization, will be important.

Hey, SMW, are you going to Columbia next year? If you are, I have a question for you.

Best advice:

Don't worry about it that much. If you take an honest interest in your science classes and understood them, you will do well on the MCAT.

The students the MCAT hurts are the ones who cram and forget things. Don't memorize things like a monkey, take a sincere interest in what you're learning. Even organic chemistry will be useful later on as a doctor.

In the future, patients will know more about their disease than you will, so having a firm understanding of logic, rather than memorization, will be important.