any suggestions on stradegies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eravin99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions or stradegies about applying to dschool??

does having a lower gpa but applying earlier help??

taking extra sci classes like health or geology help??

does anyone have some interesting essay suggestions??

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

eravin99 said:

thanks!

applying early increases your chances any way you look at it since the schools are on a rolling admission basis. If you apply late you will be competing for less spots since they will begin to get filled up by the earlybirds.

by the time my application was all complete and reviewed, UoP had already filled all the regular interview spots and was starting to invite students to interview for alternate positions.

the essay is a way for you to express why you have chosen dentistry, how you have come to this point in your life, why you would make a good dentist, and to show that you have what it takes to make it though the tough 4 years. be original and personal.

good luck.

Good extra science classes
Microbiology
Anatomy
Histology
Biochemistry
Physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
The lower the GPA, the sooner you should apply. Then again everyone should apply early anyways. The early bird gets the worm. :)

Extra science courses help only if you do well in them. Biological sciences will help you prepare for dental school, not geology. Take geology only if you are actually interested in that course.

Essays don't really have to be creative or jaw dropping. Not everyone has an awesome story to tell. Even if your story is dull and unexciting, if you can tell your story well, you are all set.

P.S. It's strategies, not stradegies (I used to spell it like this as well. ;) )

Welcome to SDN !

This is something I did when I applied to dental school. I was banking on the fact that I was going to get accepted to somewhere by december first. So, I saved all my hard classes and extra science classes for my last two semesters of school. So when I applied to dental school, my GPA was higher and they saw the hard impressive science classes I was taking. By the time they accepted me, they never saw my grades for the really hard classes.

eravin99 said:

thanks!

learning how to spell would be a good place to start.