WAMC? Suggestions on my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unodeuno

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am wrapping up my application and getting ready to submit. I just wanted to post here to see what y'all think/ get a realistic idea of what to expect. Also if there are any suggestions to schools I should look into adding or if any of the schools on my list are out of my league... Any advice is appreciated!!

Date of submission: Aiming for July 1st
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, 20PA, 21QR, 22RC, 19GC, 19OC, 19BIO, 19TS
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: Tulane
Major: Public Health (Degree Earned) + A few pre-requsites completed at LSU
Minority? Hispanic and Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General dentist: 90 hours, Group Practice with 3 oral surgeons: 65 hours
Volunteering Experience: Volunteering at free medical, dental, and vision clinics: 70 hours, volunteering at local races and track meets: 70 hours.
Employment: Cardiology clinic as a medical assistant: 1200 hours, Free-lance barber: 500 hours
Research: no research
Other Extracurriculars: -4 years of collegiate athletics (D1 Track and Cross Country) LOTS of hours,
-Academic enrichment: I worked with a museum for a summer for my service learning capstone: 150 hours (as a volunteer so not sure if it is counting for volunteer hours since I get academic credit)
-Manage a small real estate business

Relevant Honors or Awards: High school State Champion in track, High school academic all-state, College All-Conference academic team x3 years, Dean's List once

LOR type and strength:
1 from general dentist, 1 from oral surgeon, 1 from professor, waiting on 1 from different professor. I didn't get to read any of the letters but I hope they are all good haha.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took Organic Chem 2 for pass/fail during covid, Got in trouble with student conduct 2 times (misunderstandings that got handled within the university) and academic probation after first semester of college (gpa under 3.0 and I needed to raise it in order to keep scholarship: i raised it)
School list:

LSU, Boston, Tufts, NYU, Creighton, Marquette, Meharry, Temple, VCU, Roseman, Lake Erie

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I am wrapping up my application and getting ready to submit. I just wanted to post here to see what y'all think/ get a realistic idea of what to expect. Also if there are any suggestions to schools I should look into adding or if any of the schools on my list are out of my league... Any advice is appreciated!!

Date of submission: Aiming for July 1st
Overall GPA: 3.35
Science GPA: Finished transcript entry but not sure where to find this. Estimating around 3.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.8??
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, 20PA, 21QR, 22RC, 19GC, 19OC, 19BIO, 19TS
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: Tulane
Major: Public Health (Degree Earned) + A few pre-requsites completed at LSU
Minority? Hispanic and Asian Male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General dentist: 90 hours, Group Practice with 3 oral surgeons: 65 hours
Volunteering Experience: Volunteering at free medical, dental, and vision clinics: 70 hours, volunteering at local races and track meets: 70 hours.
Employment: Cardiology clinic as a medical assistant: 1200 hours, Free-lance barber: 500 hours
Research: no research
Other Extracurriculars: -4 years of collegiate athletics (D1 Track and Cross Country) LOTS of hours,
-Academic enrichment: I worked with a museum for a summer for my service learning capstone: 150 hours (as a volunteer so not sure if it is counting for volunteer hours since I get academic credit)
-Manage a small real estate business

Relevant Honors or Awards: High school State Champion in track, High school academic all state, All-Conference academic team x3 years, Dean's List once

LOR type and strength:
1 from general dentist, 1 from oral surgeon, 1 from professor, waiting on 1 from different professor. I didn't get to read any of the letters but I hope they are all good haha.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took Organic Chem 2 for pass/fail during covid, Got in trouble with student conduct 2 times (misunderstandings that got handled within the university) and academic probation after first semester of college (gpa under 3.0 and I needed to raise it in order to keep scholarship: i raised it)
School list:

LSU, Boston, Tufts, NYU, Creighton, Marquette, Meharry, Temple, VCU, Roseman, Lake Erie
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at LSU d school?

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at LSU d school?
I attended one of their online application workshops this spring, which was pretty useful. Other than that, I haven't done anything else with LSU dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully, your science GPA comes >3.0 as it can be very difficult to get admitted if under that as for most schools that will put you under the 5-10th percentile of enrolled students.

LSU should be your main focus as they heavily prioritize IS students. I think the list is okay, Marquette and Creighton stick out. Marquette really doesn't take students from the south. and of all the oos students enrolled at creighton, none were from LA (from class of 2026 ADEA guide). However, your chances are probably better with creighton than Marquette. I'd add Nova, and maybe Howard (if the mission is there).

Look into Touro, Case Western, and maybe Louisville

I attended one of their online application workshops this spring, which was pretty useful. Other than that, I haven't done anything else with LSU dental school
you need to add a lot more schools...

Hopefully, your science GPA comes >3.0 as it can be very difficult to get admitted if under that as for most schools that will put you under the 5-10th percentile of enrolled students.

LSU should be your main focus as they heavily prioritize IS students. I think the list is okay, Marquette and Creighton stick out. Marquette really doesn't take students from the south. and of all the oos students enrolled at creighton, none were from LA (from class of 2026 ADEA guide). However, your chances are probably better with creighton than Marquette. I'd add Nova, and maybe Howard (if the mission is there).

Look into Touro, Case Western, and maybe Louisville
I calculated my science GPA and I got 3.2 so things don't look as bad as I thought. Hopefully, they are calculating it the same way I did. I looked through the ADEA course subject list so should be pretty close.

As far as those colleges, I'll look into those mentioned schools and take out Marquette. Thank you for that advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel for you. There are not a lot of great choices if you are in the South since so many schools are public. You have a relatively low GPA so it would be difficult to try the neighboring Texas schools. You may really want to consider an SMP but choose schools where you want to attend that have an enrollment linkage with that SMP. Network as best as you can to see how receptive your profile is.