Any Summer Internships for Those Graduating and Going to Med School in the Fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know of many internship programs for those NOT graduating after spring 07; however, I was wondering if there are any programs/internships for those graduating? Please provide me with information if you know of any.

Gracias,
Dr. Inviz

Members don't see this ad.

What?!?! You want to waste the Last Summer?!?! :eek:

You do realize that this is your Last Summer, don't you? Some people say that the summer after Y1 is the Last Summer, but nowadays you're expected to do research after Y1 if you're at a research-centric school.

So this is your very Last Summer, until you retire at age 65 or so. When you retire, you'll be old and fat and wrinkly, and sex with the SO just won't be nearly as nice as it once was... if it ever even happens. :(

So don't be a fool. Embrace the Last Summer, with Belly's Plan for Summer Fun:
1) Drink like a fish.
2) Get laid. A lot.
3) Repeat.

You do realize that this is your Last Summer, don't you? Some people say that the summer after Y1 is the Last Summer, but nowadays you're expected to do research after Y1 if you're at a research-centric school.

So this is your very Last Summer, until you retire at age 65 or so. When you retire, you'll be old and fat and wrinkly, and sex with the SO just won't be nearly as nice as it once was... if it ever even happens. :(

1) Drink like a fish.
2) Get laid. A lot.
3) Repeat.

Maybe I dont drink and I want to do something productive. If anyone can help me, then that would be great!!

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Drink like a fish.
2) Get laid. A lot.
3) Repeat.
I embrace articles 2 and 3 of Belly's plan. :thumbup:

Maybe I dont drink and I want to do something productive. If anyone can help me, then that would be great!!

Yea, okay. :rolleyes:

LOL! Enjoy yourself. Besides, med schools start earlier than undergraduate did, so you actually have less of a summer than you think. Maybe we can go cow tipping or take a dip in the swimming hole or something.:laugh: :D

Of course. You and me and Dr. Inviz and our little Bassett Hound puppy we got on sale in Knoxville. ;)
You know I'll try to come that way if I don't get that job at Pitt. :thumbup:

I plan on doing nothing but travel and be lazy.

Maybe if I can get an easy enough job I might do that, so that I can save some money up for basic necessities (um...food and, of course, books).

Also, I need to get my driver's license and to lose my fear of getting onto that interstate (yeah, I know. Save it.).

I know that I will be able to do research once I'm in school (maybe during the summer between MS1 and MS2), so I'll save my research aspirations for them. In the meantime, I'd recommend you to stick with the advice given by other SDNers above.

Kill two birds, Volunteer! Abroad!

Search the forums, there are plenty of threads about this along with feedback. The cheapest one I could find was volunteerkenya.org

Members don't see this ad :)
Any ideas from MS-1's (and up) about light and easy 9-5 jobs? I feel like I would be doing nothing all summer long.

The cheapest one I could find was volunteerkenya.org

Knormal_aids.jpg

ok this is a popular topic these days. ive posted this like three times already

youve got to do unite for sight. i have done it twice before and am going again this summer. the unite for sight programs are what i live for every year. its always the greatest experience of my life. you go to an eye clinic and help the the nicest ophthalmologists native to the country. i just love them. i aspire to be like them.:love:

http://www.uniteforsight.org/intl_volunteer

read the volunteer quotes too. there are hundreds of volunteer stories about life changing experiences. and the eye clinic quotes tell how helpful unite for sight is to the developing countries.

i dont think any volunteer org comes close to all the good that unite for sight does and the quality experience that the volunteers get too.

hey this video really brings the experience to life. interviews with patiens and volunteers
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-424538484738181565&hl=en

you know how lots of doctors in western hospitals don't have empathy or dedication?

I think that's a rather unfair assessment, especially on the latter point.

i aspire to be like them.
Underpaid, underfunded, underequipped and reliant upon outside help from Western docs?

I know of many internship programs for those NOT graduating after spring 07; however, I was wondering if there are any programs/internships for those graduating? Please provide me with information if you know of any.

Gracias,
Dr. Inviz

When I was at WashU this summer the Siteman Cancer Center summer program had one guy that was starting med school in the fall. The program didn't end until the first week of August though. Check out the link.

http://www.siteman.wustl.edu/internal.aspx?id=254

Underpaid, underfunded, underequipped and reliant upon outside help from Western docs?

thats a rather cruel way to describe docs in developing countries. theyre dedicated to helping people beyond most docs. they could have left their countries for the u.s. and had greener pastures. but they didnt. theyre the few who stayed to help their countries and people.

Gracias,
Dr. Inviz

You can do the NIH summer research fellowship. They accept people for just the summer (including those who are going on to med school in the fall and have already graduated).
See: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/info.asp
I know a few people who've done it and it's very competitive, but if you've been accepted to med school you prob have a better chance.

thats a rather cruel way to describe docs in developing countries. theyre dedicated to helping people beyond most docs. they could have left their countries for the u.s. and had greener pastures. but they didnt. theyre the few who stayed to help their countries and people.
Stings don't it when people make broad generalizations about a group of professionals? ;)

Thanks guys/gals for all your help!!