Any techniques for improving Verbal score that last extra bit (scoring 11-12)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebbandflow83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi MCATters. Wondering if there are any tips to improve your verbal score if you are already doing pretty well. I'm scoring 11's and 12's and have been for the past few weeks. My strategy at this point is just to actively read, try not to refer back to the passage too much, make an educated guess on complicated questions and go back to tough questions at the end. Any other strategies to try to get that score up to a 13 or greater? MCAT in 3 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Members don't see this ad.

The thing that helped bump me up at the end was always picking the answer choice closest to the main idea when I narrowed the choices down to two. It kept frustrating me that I'd always pick the wrong answer. What I learned was that the wrong answer was easier to find in the text, but the right answer was closer to the main idea. Once I fixed that, my score went up another point.

When you're scoring an 11 or 12 on the verbal the difference in points literally becomes maybe 1-2 questions.

I would suggest doing what docabroad suggested or just getting better luck.

The thing that helped bump me up at the end was always picking the answer choice closest to the main idea when I narrowed the choices down to two. It kept frustrating me that I'd always pick the wrong answer. What I learned was that the wrong answer was easier to find in the text, but the right answer was closer to the main idea. Once I fixed that, my score went up another point.

Thank you. This is good advice and I'll definetely try it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks DocAbroad! A very useful tip. I'll try that out on my next section.