Any thoughts for this re-applicant?

Started by tbucky
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tbucky

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I first applied for the Aug '05 class with a 3.5 GPA and 27P MCAT, with basically no volunteering and limited clinical experience. I'm now re-applying with the same GPA and a 30O MCAT, have been volunteering in hospitals for the past 2 years, done some job shadowing of current physicians, and am currently working in a research lab where I am a co-first author on one publication, a third author on another, presented a poster, and am on two others to be presented this year at the Annual Meeting for Society for Neuroscience. I'm also thinking of applying for MD/PhD. Any thoughts on my strength of application, whether for MD or MD/PhD?
 
the mcat is good. Experiences are great. You should do good getting into an MD program. The MD-PhD route may require a slightly higher gpa, but then again it's still pretty good. I'd say reapply to mostly MD programs and if you want some MD-PhD programs as well. The fact that you co-authored and presented would certainly help you in the pursuit of a combined program. Everything looks pretty good; you should have no problems this time around.