Any thoughts on any of these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyCarcinoid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if any of you guys on the interview trail this year have thoughts on any of the following:

Loma Linda, California
Penrose-St Francis, Colorado Springs
Hawaii
LSU (Shreveport program)
University of Mississippi (Jackson)
UMDNJ Newark
Pitt County, Greenville North Carolina
Oklahoma City
South Carolina (Charleston)
Baylor Dallas
Texas A&M
UTMB Galveston
Texas Tech

These are just some of the programs I'll be applying to next year, and they don't appear too extremely competitive. I just wonder if there are any I should stay away from.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to med school in galveston and rotated through the path department. The faculty and residents are for the most part wonderful to work with, and all the residents seem happy. Work hours aren't bad - they were usually done on surg path by 6.
The path department is pretty big, and they do a lot of research, lots of NIH grants, but this really doesn't affect the resident education at all. Research is probably required, like many places, but is certainly not the focus.
Residents seem very well education, and like I said before, the faculty were great to work with, all were wonderful teachers.
The only downfall of the program is that it's in galveston. If you've never been there, the summer weather is miserable, and lasts at least 5 months. Its a really small town without much to do. Houston is 45 minutes away, but its a pain to drive that far just because I need a shirt. And Houston is a pretty crappy city anyway. If your single, Galveston might make you lonely. BUT, on the upside, its a very easy place to live (I bike just about everywhere), very laidback, very cheap. For the record, the beach is unkept and not too attractive, so don't get too excited about the fact that it's an island.
hope this helps . . .

I went to med school in galveston and rotated through the path department. The faculty and residents are for the most part wonderful to work with, and all the residents seem happy. Work hours aren't bad - they were usually done on surg path by 6.
The path department is pretty big, and they do a lot of research, lots of NIH grants, but this really doesn't affect the resident education at all. Research is probably required, like many places, but is certainly not the focus.
Residents seem very well education, and like I said before, the faculty were great to work with, all were wonderful teachers.
The only downfall of the program is that it's in galveston. If you've never been there, the summer weather is miserable, and lasts at least 5 months. Its a really small town without much to do. Houston is 45 minutes away, but its a pain to drive that far just because I need a shirt. And Houston is a pretty crappy city anyway. If your single, Galveston might make you lonely. BUT, on the upside, its a very easy place to live (I bike just about everywhere), very laidback, very cheap. For the record, the beach is unkept and not too attractive, so don't get too excited about the fact that it's an island.
hope this helps . . .

Thanks, yeah I interviewed at UTMB for med school, and I have visited Galveston another time (We launched out of a cruise there to Mexico one summer). The beach there is definitely not impressive, but it still seemed like an okay place. As long as there are no hurricanes, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious if any of you guys on the interview trail this year have thoughts on any of the following:

Loma Linda, California
Penrose-St Francis, Colorado Springs
Hawaii
LSU (Shreveport program)
University of Mississippi (Jackson)
UMDNJ Newark
Pitt County, Greenville North Carolina
Oklahoma City
South Carolina (Charleston)
Baylor Dallas
Texas A&M
UTMB Galveston
Texas Tech

These are just some of the programs I'll be applying to next year, and they don't appear too extremely competitive. I just wonder if there are any I should stay away from.

i heard the hawaii chair/person in charge/literally, big kahuna, died of cholangioCA or something, so i anticipate the prgm to be in some flux for a while, esp. since he was apparently so loved out there.

i heard the hawaii chair/person in charge/literally, big kahuna, died of cholangioCA or something, so i anticipate the prgm to be in some flux for a while, esp. since he was apparently so loved out there.

Yeah...he was my former mentor.

RIP Dr. H.

interesting. sorry to hear that.