Any thoughts on Orlando Health, Children's Mercy, Carolinas? Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyhands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm starting to panic over my ROL! :eek: I like all three programs but they did have some things I was concerned about.

Orlando Health/ Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children: Concern is lack of autonomy. Interview impression on sdn from 2005 or so said that there was too much hand holding and attendings were putting in orders. "felt like medical school all over again". What was weird was that my interviewer also mentioned that she felt like the attendings "held their hand" too much as well.

However, that was my only major concern. I liked almost everything else about the program. I feel like I would love to live in Orlando. Residents seemed very happy with the program.

Children's Mercy: Pros/Cons of a higher volume hospital. Residents also seemed happy and I've heard they match well. I wouldn't mind living in KC but somewhere warmer would be nice : )

Carolinas: Concern is with the lack of volume and possibly autonomy.

I do already have my number one program in, but I'm not sure about 2-4. So if anyone has any experience with these programs, it would be great to hear from you!

Thank you and good luck with the match! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok! Something must have hit me because I think I got a pretty decent order now!:D. Wouldn't hurt to have more opinions though!:thumbup:

I am from KC and I have done quite a few rotations at Mercy. They were originally my top choice until this merger came through. They are merging with KU's peds department. There are a lot of unknown with the merger. I would not want to do any rotations at KU nor do I want there to be 27 more outside residents having to come through for their rotations. With the unknown of all the changes being made on the floor to meet the new requirements plus this merger it left me hesitant to rank them my #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from KC and I have done quite a few rotations at Mercy. They were originally my top choice until this merger came through. They are merging with KU's peds department. There are a lot of unknown with the merger. I would not want to do any rotations at KU nor do I want there to be 27 more outside residents having to come through for their rotations. With the unknown of all the changes being made on the floor to meet the new requirements plus this merger it left me hesitant to rank them my #1.

Yup, I know about this. Talked to the PDs and Chair about this. Chances are that nothing major will happen until 2-3+ years from now. Their program is also so small compared to Mercy that it probably won't have a whole lot of effect in the big picture anyway.

Oh by the way- You better quit trolling the forum on here before you get busted...

How am I "trolling"? This is my first time to post and I posted about two programs I just posted my impression of the programs. Isn't that what this forum is all about? Getting outside opinions?