Any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spoonbig21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I know there is no way to tell me definitively... buuuut what do you guys think my chances are??

I currently am on 5 wait lists: WVU, EVMS (top 1/3 instate, but was there last year too), VCU, TCMC and East Tennessee State.

GPA ~3.8
MCAT slightly below 30

I served in the military, volunteered at a clinic, work at a hospital currently, been playing music for a looong time, 1.5 years honors research... the basics I guess
Great LOR's They were all very willing and dedicated to seeing me matriculate.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for leaving out my EC's, I completely agree osteohopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I know there is no way to tell me definitively... buuuut what do you guys think my chances are??

I currently am on 5 wait lists: WVU, EVMS (top 1/3 instate, but was there last year too), VCU, TCMC and East Tennessee State.

GPA ~3.8
MCAT slightly below 30

Any thoughts?

Awesome stats. But dude, nowadays it's about so much more than numbers. Adcoms have many kids applying with perfect stats.

What sort of ECs did you do? How close were you to your LOR writers?

Analyzing these sorts of things will help us gauge you better.

What's "slightly below 30"? There's a big difference between 26/27 and 29. Is the score balanced?

Any shadowing? How many hours of clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are wait-listed you can apply to Tulane's SMP which then I think guarantees acceptance to that med school following completion (provided you get certain grades) I think.

What's "slightly below 30"? There's a big difference between 26/27 and 29. Is the score balanced?

Any shadowing? How many hours of clinical experience?

Yeah, sorry. Shadowed an MD for awhile, 29 MCAT, a little unbalanced. And I work full time at a hospital with constant direct patient care so I have a lot of patient experience.

Been thinking about SMP's... aren't they really expensive? But I guess that's what financial aid is for.

Yeah, sorry. Shadowed an MD for awhile, 29 MCAT, a little unbalanced. And I work full time at a hospital with constant direct patient care so I have a lot of patient experience.

Been thinking about SMP's... aren't they really expensive? But I guess that's what financial aid is for.

I think you should retake the MCAT. Breaking that 30+ barrier would really strengthen your application.

I don't think you need to consider an SMP, which is usually for individuals with high MCAT and low GPA. Your GPA is amazing. Focus on making your MCAT as amazing.

OP - Any MCAT section below 8?

Damn, like to be ambigious much? :laugh:

We dont care if the MCAT is not that great...just say!! :mad:

A 3.8 GPA, a decent mcat (30 or higher would help a lot), but you've served in the military...which should give you a huge boost. I'm kind of surprised that you haven't been accepted yet considering you have clinical and research experience.

My guess is that your interviewing skills could be improved and/or you don't have a whole lot of clinical experience. Unless you completely blew your interviews, then I would be feeling confident if I were you.

Last edited:
Damn, like to be ambigious much? :laugh:

We dont care if the MCAT is not that great...just say!! :mad:

Haha, sorry guys. MCAT 8, 8, BS 13

what do you think of my chances this year: coming off a waitlist?

A 3.8 GPA, a decent mcat (30 or higher would help a lot), but you've served in the military...which should give you a huge boost. I'm kind of surprised that you haven't been accepted yet considering you have clinical and research experience.

My guess is that your interviewing skills could be improved and/or you don't have a whole lot of clinical experience. Unless you completely blew your interview, then I would be feeling confident if I were you.

Thank you, I won a lot of awards and a few metals in the military too as well as volunteered. Additionally, after a unsuccessful attempt last year, one school told me I interviewed really well. I'm just really unsure what's holding me back, besides MCAT. I work my but off at my job, the nurses try and steal me away to help their patients because they say they really like my work ethic and say I'm extremely good with the patients. I just am hoping that my MCAT doesn't suppress all the other things I've done/do.

I think you need to retake if you dont get in....

That MCAT is as lopsided as the Efiel Tower.....

with that many waitlist hang in there.....

yeah it is. Weird to because none of my practice tests were that bad. Always score higher in BS but never got 2 8's. I'm hoping that going from 2 wait lists last year to 5 is somehow going to help my chances.