Any threads on for 2024/25 APPIC applications ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatsPsi4U

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to SDN. Saw that there was a very active thread for AAPIs last year! Anyone know if there is one for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In the past people have made one if they can't find one! Good luck you two!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been checking in to see if anyone has made one yet :rofl: Guess this is it!

I recommend taking the initiative and linking the doc here😊 Good luck! Just be sure not to obsessively refresh all day like I did last year haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Here we go!
Hi everyone! New to SDN. Saw that there was a very active thread for AAPIs last year! Anyone know if there is one for this cycle?
Here we go!

2024-2025 APPIC internship interview invitations.
2024-2025 Interview Spreadsheet

Last Yrs Link (Thank you @PsyDontWantToDoThis)
2023-2024 Interview Spreadsheet

Link from previous years (Thanks to @loveroflinehanandresick)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZ-GqazsCx-kUv8GLR33IgnDPfVZlNbO/edit#gid=1003449805

Good Luck Everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Here we go!

Here we go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZ-GqazsCx-kUv8GLR33IgnDPfVZlNbO/edit#gid=1003449805

Good Luck Everyone!
Thanks for putting this up! I am excited to get this interview process rolling in a couple of months!

Thanks for putting this up! I am excited to get this interview process rolling in a couple of months!
Sure, no worries! I am too with the interviews BUT sorta not b/c I hate holding period of finding out whether you've matched. All that anxiety 🫨

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if your programs require you to be in clinical practicum this year (the year before you go on internship)? If you are not on clinical practicum this year, could you please reply and let me know? I would love to connect and chat! Thanks so much!

Aashna

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if your programs require you to be in clinical practicum this year (the year before you go on internship)? If you are not on clinical practicum this year, could you please reply and let me know? I would love to connect and chat! Thanks so much!

Aashna
On campus practicum is required for us, unless we took an extra year in the program. External clinical placements are also expected to be held in student's final year in my program!

Sure, no worries! I am too with the interviews BUT sorta not b/c I hate holding period of finding out whether you've matched. All that anxiety 🫨
I'm hopeful that it will feel like it goes by quickly!

Members don't see this ad :)
On campus practicum is required for us, unless we took an extra year in the program. External clinical placements are also expected to be held in student's final year in my program!
Thanks so much for letting me know!

Here we go!

Here we go!

Good Luck Everyone!
Thanks for making this! Any way you can alter the sheet so others can add/edit to it? right now it is view only so can't contribute unless approved.

Does anyone know about or applying to The Center for Anxiety in NY? https://www.centerforanxiety.org...any deets on this site?

Hi everyone!

Aashna
As somebody who reviews internship applications, not engaging in any clinical work (versus doing a Fall only practicum) during your application year can raise a small red flag since just about everybody else applying will be engaged in some type of supervised training this year and anything that makes you stand out compared to your peers is not ideal.

Of course there can be very legitimate life circumstances that may prevent this from happening so this might be something that you'd want to proactively write about in personal statements or have your TD clarify in their recommendation to avoid speculation from the part of review committees. Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Aashna
Hi there I am also not in clinical practicum this year. I completed my required hours for my program and have 800 intervention, 150 assessment, 2,500 total prac hours. I am not in practicum because I had a baby this year and commute 6 hours to class twice a week, and it just wasn't possible for me to add a technically "optional" practicum. In my head I couldn't justify paying for practicum credits/doing more unpaid labor/more time away from my baby when I had already completed the program requirements, I did not really know until filling out the APPI that it could reflect badly since I have a good amount of hours inline with other candidates. In my materials I am framing the lack of practicum as time I will spending this year dedicated to collecting data and working towards defense of dissertation, with the goal of defending this spring (before the start of internship). I also mentioned that I am attending weekly didactic trainings/seminars to keep clinical skills sharp. My DCT has told me not to mention my extensive commute and having a child as reasons I am not in practicum. I did mention having baby during doctoral training in my personal statement and I would be willing to discuss my personal circumstances in an interview or if a application reviewer asked. Basically, it sounds like a matter of how you frame it from everyone I have talked too! Good luck & message me if you want to talk more! I can send you what I wrote as my "explanation" if it would be helpful :)

Last edited:
Hi there I am also not in clinical practicum this year. I completed my required hours for my program and have 800 intervention, 150 assessment, 2,500 total prac hours. I am not in practicum because I had a baby this year and commute 6 hours to class twice a week, and it just wasn't possible for me to add a technically "optional" practicum. In my head I couldn't justify paying for practicum credits/doing more unpaid labor/more time away from my baby when I had already completed the program requirements, I did not really know until filling out the APPI that it could reflect badly since I have a good amount of hours inline with other candidates. In my materials I am framing the lack of practicum as time I will spending this year dedicated to collecting data and working towards defense of dissertation, with the goal of defending this spring (before the start of internship). I also mentioned that I am attending weekly didactic trainings/seminars to keep clinical skills sharp. My DCT has told me not to mention my extensive commute and having a child as reasons I am not in practicum. I did mention having baby during doctoral training in my personal statement and I would be willing to discuss my personal circumstances in an interview or if a application reviewer asked. Basically, it sounds like a matter of how you frame it from everyone I have talked too! Good luck & message me if you want to talk more! I can send you what I wrote as my "explanation" if it would be helpful :)
That totally makes sense since you're already well above minimum hours standards and could have applied the previous year going by hours alone so it makes sense to focus your time on dissertation (and family) while continuing to stay engaged in non-direct contact ways. And your DCT's framing makes sense to me.

As a reviewer, I would be more concerned about people whose hours are on the low end (or there are major gaps like bare minimum assessment experience or no group experience ever) and no longer doing practicum versus somebody whose training already feels well-rounded.

That totally makes sense since you're already well above minimum hours standards and could have applied the previous year going by hours alone so it makes sense to focus your time on dissertation (and family) while continuing to stay engaged in non-direct contact ways. And your DCT's framing makes sense to me.

As a reviewer, I would be more concerned about people whose hours are on the low end (or there are major gaps like bare minimum assessment experience or no group experience ever) and no longer doing practicum versus somebody whose training already feels well-rounded.
Thank you so much! This made my day, it has been weighing on me heavily! I was on track to apply to APPIC last year but decided to separate clinical training and coursework into two years. Your perspective and feedback as a reviewer is highly appreciated and I will pass along this insight to my DCT for future students in my position :)

As somebody who reviews internship applications, not engaging in any clinical work (versus doing a Fall only practicum) during your application year can raise a small red flag since just about everybody else applying will be engaged in some type of supervised training this year and anything that makes you stand out compared to your peers is not ideal.

Of course there can be very legitimate life circumstances that may prevent this from happening so this might be something that you'd want to proactively write about in personal statements or have your TD clarify in their recommendation to avoid speculation from the part of review committees. Good luck!
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!
I have over 1000 direct intervention hours and about 100 assessment hours. The reason I am not doing a prac this year is because I am completely focused on my dissertation - which is happening in India! I cannot do supervised prac in India as an international student, thus, I decided against doing prac this year. I will take your advice and address it in my materials!

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks so much for replying and letting me know!! I am in the same position as you with regard to my intervention hours and assessment hours. I am not doing a prac this year because of research reasons! You not taking up an "optional" practicum this year makes complete sense to me and I am so happy that you made the intentional decision to spend time with your baby! Thanks for saying you are addressing this in your materials - I will do the same!

Hi! Thanks so much for replying and letting me know!! I am in the same position as you with regard to my intervention hours and assessment hours. I am not doing a prac this year because of research reasons! You not taking up an "optional" practicum this year makes complete sense to me and I am so happy that you made the intentional decision to spend time with your baby! Thanks for saying you are addressing this in your materials - I will do the same!
I wrote my explanation in the time2track verification in the "anticipated practicum experiences" section (a response is required so I thought it would be a good place to address it directly and DCT agreed) - having international research experience is so unique and will make you stand out among other candidates, I would definitely discuss how your time/research there may influence clinical approaches/cultural competence etc. Plus 1000 intervention hours is awesome!

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!
I have over 1000 direct intervention hours and about 100 assessment hours. The reason I am not doing a prac this year is because I am completely focused on my dissertation - which is happening in India! I cannot do supervised prac in India as an international student, thus, I decided against doing prac this year. I will take your advice and address it in my materials!
Ya'll are making me nervous with your amazing hours! My intervention hours landed at about 650, plus 160 assessment hours. I hope I am not too far behind the norm :eek:

Ya'll are making me nervous with your amazing hours! My intervention hours landed at about 650, plus 160 assessment hours. I hope I am not too far behind the norm :eek:
In an ideal world, an applicant has both quantity and quality but when push comes to shove, quality reigns supreme.

For example, every year I'll see apps where people will list like 250+ assessment hours. Great!

But a further look at the APII (which asks you to catalog measures administered individually), you realize that 200 of those hours likely consist of self report measures that were done during a standard intake and this person has never even administered a Weschler test or an MMPI.

So I'm gonna red flag this and mentally bump their 250 self reported hours down to like 50.

Meanwhile, somebody else may only list 100 assessment hours but you can tell that they have administered multiple full batteries and has both cognitive and personality foundational experience.

In an ideal world, an applicant has both quantity and quality but when push comes to shove, quality reigns supreme.

For example, every year I'll see apps where people will list like 250+ assessment hours. Great!

But a further look at the APII (which asks you to catalog measures administered individually), you realize that 200 of those hours likely consist of self report measures that were done during a standard intake and this person has never even administered a Weschler test or an MMPI.

So I'm gonna red flag this and mentally bump their 250 self reported hours down to like 50.

Meanwhile, somebody else may only list 100 assessment hours but you can tell that they have administered multiple full batteries and has both cognitive and personality foundational experience.
Thank you for sharing this! I believe I have a lot of "quality hours". My assessment hours are almost entirely from administering full batteries, with a large portion coming from a forensic setting. My intervention hours have a good mix of group and individual as well...so I hope that it balances out for me ! Thank you again for the insight!

I wrote my explanation in the time2track verification in the "anticipated practicum experiences" section (a response is required so I thought it would be a good place to address it directly and DCT agreed) - having international research experience is so unique and will make you stand out among other candidates, I would definitely discuss how your time/research there may influence clinical approaches/cultural competence etc. Plus 1000 intervention hours is awesome!
Great idea!! I had not addressed it in my T2T verification, but I agree it is a good place to keep it!!

I don't think so!! from what i have heard, most folks are good as long as they clear the minimum requirement for the sites. YOU GOT THIS!

Anyone else having a really hard time cutting their essays to 500 words? Some examples I have seen from others in my program go over the 500 word limit by 30-60 words. I am tempted to keep mines over 500. Do long essays get you discarded immediately?

Anyone else having a really hard time cutting their essays to 500 words? Some examples I have seen from others in my program go over the 500 word limit by 30-60 words. I am tempted to keep mines over 500. Do long essays get you discarded immediately?

Not really, we mostly just skimmed and never really read the essays anyway.

Not really, we mostly just skimmed and never really read the essays anyway.
Lol, exactly what one of my prac supervisors said about her reviewing internship apps. She just skims it quickly to see if there are any red flags, like mentioning the wrong site or rotations that don't exist there or some more egregious things.

I ran into the same issue as you! Something that helped me cut down the length was to just remove all the connecting sentences and words that were there to give the essay a better flow. My essays are kinda "choppy", but a lot of other essays I read were also choppy so I don't think it's such a big deal!

It was such a struggle! Especially the theoretical orientation one!!! I got mine to 500 but whew it was hard.

I used Grammarly to cut down on unnecessary wordage and it worked like a charm when I applied

Hey,
For those in neuropsychology any advice on sites that primarily focus on a medical population with neurological disorders. I figured this would be mainly sites at hospitals but I would appreciate any advice or knowledge others may have.

Hey,
For those in neuropsychology any advice on sites that primarily focus on a medical population with neurological disorders. I figured this would be mainly sites at hospitals but I would appreciate any advice or knowledge others may have.

Pretty much most VAs and AMCs. I'd just stay away from concussion clinics for the most part if you want to avoid a primarily psychiatric reason for the referral.

Pretty much most VAs and AMCs. I'd just stay away from concussion clinics for the most part if you want to avoid a primarily psychiatric reason for the referral.
Thank you! I was under the impression that the VA would be primarily psychiatric referrals but I will include these in my applications. I appreciate the insight.

Thank you! I was under the impression that the VA would be primarily psychiatric referrals but I will include these in my applications. I appreciate the insight.

Unless it's the Rehab/polytrauma clinic, most of my VA experiences in Neuropsych were primarily neurologically based evals. Honestly, for Neuropsych, some of the bigger flagship VAs would have my strongest recommendation for training. The training and didactics are usually better than anything else you'll get. Faculty have time to supervise and you only work 40-hour weeks.

I'm familiar with the site. What information are you looking for?
I see that they have several locations and I am trying to decide between Bklyn and Manhattan. Also, what is the day-to-day training life like for psych interns?

I see that they have several locations and I am trying to decide between Bklyn and Manhattan. Also, what is the day-to-day training life like for psych interns?
It's one application for both (or any) locations, so you don't need to decide now. You can apply and express interest in both locations, and if you interview, you'll meet folks and hear a lot more, which may help inform your decision. They are pretty similar in terms of training experience.

Day-to-day is a combination of outpatient psychotherapy (ranging from 1x/week sessions to IOP cases meeting up to 3x/week or sometimes more), didactics, and supervision, and interns also participate in clinical rounds and DBT consult each week as part of the larger clinical team.

It's one application for both (or any) locations, so you don't need to decide now. You can apply and express interest in both locations, and if you interview, you'll meet folks and hear a lot more, which may help inform your decision. They are pretty similar in terms of training experience.

Day-to-day is a combination of outpatient psychotherapy (ranging from 1x/week sessions to IOP cases meeting up to 3x/week or sometimes more), didactics, and supervision, and interns also participate in clinical rounds and DBT consult each week as part of the larger clinical team.
Thank you so much!

For those submitting a redacted integrated report, does the report include your signature? The ones I have from previous placements only have the signature of the neuropsychologist even though I wrote the whole thing. Would a TD wonder if it doesn't have my signature?

Anyone applying to Univ. of Maryland. College Park? How strict are they on previous experience in college settings? It's not clear on the website v APPIC stipulations....anyone?

For those submitting a redacted integrated report, does the report include your signature? The ones I have from previous placements only have the signature of the neuropsychologist even though I wrote the whole thing. Would a TD wonder if it doesn't have my signature?
Mine has my signature, but I can't imagine that they haven't run into this before and would penalize you for it?

I can’t imagine a situation where I would even look to verify your signature on it. It’s assumed you worked on the case you’re submitting.

If it makes you feel better, just add your signature.