Any tips for the math section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timbo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't ever finish the math section on any of my practices. I just can't do fast arithmetic in my head and I always feel like I have to write everything out.

Ironically I've always done really well in my math classes and I've taken a lot: 3 semesters of calc, differential equations, linear algebra,... and it all came pretty easy to me - like "sleep in class and still ace every exam" easy. If i were given all the time I need for the PCAT math section, i'm positive I could get every single question correct, but I'm just so slow it's frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do all the questions that you're comfortable with first, leave the rest later. For me, i always look for university math first and then deal with the high school style crazy word problems later. More likely than not, you'd get it wrong anyway. Don't even waste your time.

Everything comes with practice. The pcat math may be simple, but the speed required to do it is rather astonishing. Have you tried practicing some speed math? when you approach a question, do it as fast as you can. rinse and repeat.

see how you do. With the curve on the pcat, its not hard to get a high score getting a couple wrong. so, you DON'T have to make sure you get every question:)

I agree with the above post. PCAT testmakers are rather erratic when it comes to which section they want to screw you over with. Make sure you can do math fast enough to compensate for the time that you use to think of how to solve the problem

Members don't see this ad :)
Move quickly. Even with substantial preparation and a strong math background I still found myself pressed for time. If a problem looks complicated, chances are there is a shortcut to solve it quickly. If that shortcut does not immediately come to mind, move on.