Any tips on how to smooth out crown preps? NERB coming up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I have my NERB coming up in 2 weeks (#3 all metal, #5 PFM and #9 ), and I've been having a hard time smoothing out my preps. I usually have small "ribs" on the margins. Plus, my axial walls and occlusal surfaces usually end up looking rough. Any tips to smooth these areas out? Do you use slow speed or high speed to smooth out the "rough areas"? Have you ever used white stone (I've never tried it)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually put a very fine diamond bur, the kind you use with a high speed to make the prep, into the slow speed and just very lightly go over the prep until it's smooth. Usually works pretty nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Think of a diamond bur as sandpaper - go in one direction to "sand" out any imperfections. I don't use a slow speed. White stone (with a little vasoline on it!) can help you smooth out your margins as well - flatten the tip slightly on truing stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to do what the previous poster suggested use red stripe fine burs in a high speed then get it really smooth in the slow speed.

Thanks all. Taking the Endo and prosth portion of my NERB next Friday.