Any tips on how to smooth out crown preps? NERB coming up.

Mauricio45

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2013
Status
Hi everybody! I have my NERB coming up in 2 weeks (#3 all metal, #5 PFM and #9 ), and I've been having a hard time smoothing out my preps. I usually have small "ribs" on the margins. Plus, my axial walls and occlusal surfaces usually end up looking rough. Any tips to smooth these areas out? Do you use slow speed or high speed to smooth out the "rough areas"? Have you ever used white stone (I've never tried it)? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2012
NYC
Status
Dental Student
I usually put a very fine diamond bur, the kind you use with a high speed to make the prep, into the slow speed and just very lightly go over the prep until it's smooth. Usually works pretty nicely.

Reactions: CleverThought

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
San Antonio
www.uthscsa.edu
Status
Dentist
Think of a diamond bur as sandpaper - go in one direction to "sand" out any imperfections. I don't use a slow speed. White stone (with a little vasoline on it!) can help you smooth out your margins as well - flatten the tip slightly on truing stone.

arlmay

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
I tend to do what the previous poster suggested use red stripe fine burs in a high speed then get it really smooth in the slow speed.

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dental Student
I like to use the larger round chamfer burr on slow speed to smooth off any irregularities.

OP
M

Mauricio45

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2013
Status
Thanks all. Taking the Endo and prosth portion of my NERB next Friday.