Any tips/tricks/hints about working at CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody -

I got a call yesterday from the CVS just down the street from me offering me a job as a tech. I'm going to be working part-time evening and weekends (I already have a full-time job and I really just want a few hours for pocket money and retail experience). If all the paperwork goes through I'll start next week. The PIC was impressed with my undergrad and grad work, plus the fact that I am applying to pharm school. She's starting me out at a higher wage than most of the techs because even though I don't have any retail experience, she thinks I have better sense than other people she's interviewed and she's confident that I can pick things up quickly.

I'm heartened by her confidence in me, but I still have misgivings. My main worry is that I've heard some not-so-nice stories about working as a tech at CVS. This will be my first retail job, so I expect to be a little overwhelmed at first. Can any CVS veterans give me any tips about working there? Is there anything that I should know about ahead of time?

Thanks a ton! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody -

I got a call yesterday from the CVS just down the street from me offering me a job as a tech. I'm going to be working part-time evening and weekends (I already have a full-time job and I really just want a few hours for pocket money and retail experience). If all the paperwork goes through I'll start next week. The PIC was impressed with my undergrad and grad work, plus the fact that I am applying to pharm school. She's starting me out at a higher wage than most of the techs because even though I don't have any retail experience, she thinks I have better sense than other people she's interviewed and she's confident that I can pick things up quickly.

I'm heartened by her confidence in me, but I still have misgivings. My main worry is that I've heard some not-so-nice stories about working as a tech at CVS. This will be my first retail job, so I expect to be a little overwhelmed at first. Can any CVS veterans give me any tips about working there? Is there anything that I should know about ahead of time?

Oops! I can't seem to edit my original post (the servers are acting up). I meant to post this in the pre-pharmacy forums. Please delete this post, mods. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working as a tech at CVS for a year. Don't let those not-so-nice stories weigh on your mind. No pharmacy is perfect, but I guarantee you'll have a few moments early on where you might doubt yourself -- everyone has them. After a few months, it'll be cake. Early on, learn to master processing prescriptions at drop-off and you'll be golden. Register and production are simple. One of the best parts of the job is small talking w/regular customers... :D

Moxxie said:
Hey everybody -

Hi - I'm a 5 year CVS veteran tech! Congrats on your new job - sounds like the PIC really liked you. Be sure that they get you with the district tech trainer ASAP - that person will have a lot of workbook training materials and some CDs you can do that will help you learn the system faster. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions at the beginning. Hopefully you are at a slower store and that will give you a little time to get used to things. The first 6 months I walked around with a brand-generic book so I could learn that information whenever I saw a new drug. Try to learn generally what all the drugs are used for - that will really help you when you get phone calls like "Just refill all my blood pressure medicine, but I can't remember the name of them". And, try not to let the "bad" customers bother you. One of the best pieces of advice I got in the first 6 months of this job was from a pharmacist who basically told me that you will never be able to make every single person who walks in the door happy and to not take it too personally if I got yelled at (unless of course, it was my fault!)

If you have questions after you start, feel free to PM me.

I want a job as a pharmacy technician at a pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens,...). I am applying to pharmacy school and took the PCATs in January (99 composite). However, I have no previous job experience (since working at a family store doesn't count). Will it be hard for me to get a tech position? How often are pharmacies looking to hire techs (I live in NJ)? Thanks.

Yes I would say turn the job down, and switch to another pharmacy, not walgreens or cvs maybe publix if ur in the southeast. Their raises are ****ty, 10 cents , 20 cents, this is all what i hear from my friends.

MayaRx said:
Yes I would say turn the job down, and switch to another pharmacy, not walgreens or cvs maybe publix if ur in the southeast. Their raises are ****ty, 10 cents , 20 cents, this is all what i hear from my friends.

For CVS, it depends on your status and your certification in the company. If you are in pharmacy, regardless of your internship. . they pay you 10 dollar when u start pharmacy school, 11, 12 and + per year. That is a dollar raise for interns, which is almost the same as other retails. For Techs, Associates, Cashiers, the raise is based on your performance. It goes from 0 to 5 percent. A 5 percent is rare though, and if you get that raise. . it means you are ready to be promoted to senior tech, assistant manager, whatever. If you are making 10 dollars an hour, your raise at 1 percent can be 10 cents technically.

Aznfarmerboi said:
For CVS, it depends on your status and your certification in the company. If you are in pharmacy, regardless of your internship. . they pay you 10 dollar when u start pharmacy school, 11, 12 and + per year. That is a dollar raise for interns, which is almost the same as other retails. For Techs, Associates, Cashiers, the raise is based on your performance. It goes from 0 to 5 percent. A 5 percent is rare though, and if you get that raise. . it means you are ready to be promoted to senior tech, assistant manager, whatever. If you are making 10 dollars an hour, your raise at 1 percent can be 10 cents technically.

To tell you guys the truth, I don't really care how much I'll be paid by CVS right now - like I said I already have a full-time job with benefits (I wouldn't do it for free, but I wasn't expecting much). But they are starting me at $10/hour, which is higher than what they normally start the techs at at this store. I was more curious about tips for the working there. Thanks for your input though!

Perhaps this thread could be merged with the one in pre-pharmacy?

My only tip would be to make sure you and the RPh mesh well and that you ask lots of questions if you're not sure about something.

If the RPh is patient and willing to answer questions/teach, then you've got the the start of a beautiful professional relationship. If the RPh isn't willing to help you out or gets annoyed easily---run, don't walk away! It's not worth it.

Good luck to you! :luck:

You'll make an excellent addition to the pharmacy profession!

Moxxie said:
To tell you guys the truth, I don't really care how much I'll be paid by CVS right now - like I said I already have a full-time job with benefits (I wouldn't do it for free, but I wasn't expecting much). But they are starting me at $10/hour, which is higher than what they normally start the techs at at this store. I was more curious about tips for the working there. Thanks for your input though!

Perhaps this thread could be merged with the one in pre-pharmacy?

(The following line may seem offensive but its not meant to be). Dont feel special that they are paying you 10/hour though. That is how they start off ALL of their techs who are in pharmacy school but may or may not have gotten their internship license yet.

Aznfarmerboi said:
(The following line may seem offensive but its not meant to be). Dont feel special that they are paying you 10/hour though. That is how they start off ALL of their techs who are in pharmacy school but may or may not have gotten their internship license yet.

Oh hey, I'm not offended. But I haven't even been accepted to pharmacy school yet. I think that I was just trying to point out that the PIC didn't think I was a total idiot :laugh: . I got the impression that few, if any, of her other techs had goals outside of being pharmacy techs (oddly, she seemed annoyed by this - doesn't she want to keep her staff?)

Anyway, I start next Wednesday. I'll let y'all know if I'm ready to throw myself off a cliff or not after the first day.

P.S. Thanks loo! I really hope that you get into the vet school that you're shooting for.