Any tricks for memorizing antibiotic use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwalker394

Person
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a mental block when it comes to remembering which antibiotics to use for which bugs. I can remember the big ones (Ceftriaxone/Neisseria, Vancomycin/MRSA, Doxycycline/Rickettsia), but beyond the gimmes, I end up mostly blindly guessing. Does anyone have any good tips and tricks to really learn this stuff?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I seem to have a mental block when it comes to remembering which antibiotics to use for which bugs. I can remember the big ones (Ceftriaxone/Neisseria, Vancomycin/MRSA, Doxycycline/Rickettsia), but beyond the gimmes, I end up mostly blindly guessing. Does anyone have any good tips and tricks to really learn this stuff?

Thanks!

VACUuM THe BedRoom
<== Tetracycline

Vibrio
Acne
Chylamidia
Urea Urlyticum
Mycoplasma
Tuleremia
H.Pyrori
B.Budgoferi
Ricketsia

PUS <==Macrolides

Pneumonia (atypical)
URI
STD

VACUuM THe BedRoom
<== Tetracycline

Vibrio
Acne
Chylamidia
Urea Urlyticum
Mycoplasma
Tuleremia
H.Pyrori
B.Budgoferi
Ricketsia

PUS <==Macrolides

Pneumonia (atypical)
URI
STD

haha thanks, I just got a pharm question on a qbank 2day from checking out these 2 mnemonics!

Thanks!
repetition

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharm is so broad, and there's really tons to cover, but in terms of a little:

It's HUGELY high-yield (I've encountered a few practice questions on this already) that macrolides (azithromycin) are given to patients with Strep infections who can't tolerate penicillins.

The only reason you don't give aztreonam is bc that's for gram(-) aerobic rods only (same as aminoglycosides [so if they also ask for the drug that's synergistic with aminoglycosides, this is the answer; they'll try to trick you with ampicillin just bc you normally give aminos with amp/amox]).

Another tidbit I've encountered: Ceftriaxone is known to complex with calcium. Given that ~40% of the drug is excreted through bile, it is specifically known to cause pseudolithiasis, which abates upon cessation of the drug.

For vancomycin, know that that's MRSA, but it's also ENTEROCOCCI. If you get VRE, however, use streptogramins (dalfopristin/quinupristin).

If a patient being treated for MRSA gets Sx of pseudomembranous colitis, the drug used was clindamycin. I've also encountered this in a practice question. Clindamycin and TMP-SMX can also be used to Tx MRSA, but, in general, vancomycin is top choice.

Another thing: Doxycycline is used to treat all Rickettsial infections. That means use it for epidemic/endemic/scrub typhus, RMSF. Also (super-high-yield), it's always used for Lyme disease. Also use it for Ehrlichia chaffeensis. They'll try to trick you by saying the guy's had a tick bite and rash, but then they'll throw in that he has "aggregates of organisms within macrophages," which, if you remember from FA, "berry cluster" organisms is Ehrlichiosis, so don't get tricked. However, unlike Lyme disease, where you always have ECM, you may not have any rash for Ehrlichiosis, but if it does appear, it's truncal. But yeah --> doxycycline for that too.

Okay, so as far as gonococcus vs meningococcus is concerned, ceftriaxone is always the treatment. However, here's where it gets tricky: rifampin is the prophylaxis for meningococcal infections (and H. influenzae); fluoroquinolones are the prophylaxis for gonococcal infections.

Fluoroquinolones are also the 1st-line Tx for Shigella and are the drug of choice for UTIs if the pt has a sulfa allergy.

Although FA mentions that tetracyclines can't be consumed with divalent cations (e.g. antacids) due to deficient absorption, this also applies to fluoroquinolones (I've encountered this in a practice question).

There's seriously so much to talk about. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Last edited:
It will serve you well to have such a comprehensive grasp on indications for use of micro pharm, but honestly the questions are going to be way easier than that and tend to be more "general principles" type stuff. Like you don't give penicillins to patients with myoplasma because they don't have peptidoglycan, or if you see a patient with gram positive cocci in chains you give a generic pencillin. They certainly can ask more nit picky questions, but absolutely make sure you have a solid grasp on mechanism, mode of resistance, and major unique side effects before spending a ton of time on the treatment of choice for Shigella, Erlichia, or Yersinia which are fairly low yield.