Any Tufts students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl9090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Found this in a thread on the pre-dent page.
Tufts is having major problems with patients. A lot of third and fourth years are just standing around with nothing to do- they expanded the class size way too quickly (especially international), pretty much intense greed to maximize tuition income for the school occurred and now we are super stressed about if we'll have enough patients to graduate on time. Cant speak for BU.

And I found this is in reddit:
So I go to BU (1st year) and my friend goes to Tufts (also first year). Here's what I've gathered that makes me feel I made the right decision (we both got into both): The faculty at BU is incredible. Both the classroom lecturers and the preclinic instructors. Extremely knowledgeable but also extremely passionate, friendlier, and more approachable than what my friend has described at Tufts. The second major thing is their test scheduling, they do block testing and BU does gradual testing ie. there's only one test once a week (with 1 exception). This makes studying and preparing much easier to manage, rather than study for 3 tests you have within 4 days of one another. Other than those details, the schools are so similar it doesn't matter. Tufts has the better reputation, but I believe BU's will inch their ways up towards theirs in the coming years.

As someone who's considering both, can you please give your honest opinion on these peoples experiences @Del0 ?

So I go to BU (1st year) and my friend goes to Tufts (also first year). Here's what I've gathered that makes me feel I made the right decision (we both got into both): The faculty at BU is incredible. Both the classroom lecturers and the preclinic instructors. Extremely knowledgeable but also extremely passionate, friendlier, and more approachable than what my friend has described at Tufts. The second major thing is their test scheduling, they do block testing and BU does gradual testing ie. there's only one test once a week (with 1 exception). This makes studying and preparing much easier to manage, rather than study for 3 tests you have within 4 days of one another. Other than those details, the schools are so similar it doesn't matter. Tufts has the better reputation, but I believe BU's will inch their ways up towards theirs in the coming years.

As someone who's considering both, can you please give your honest opinion on these peoples experiences @Del0 ?

What you found on the pre-dent page (the quote by Manic324, not the Reddit post) is absolutely true. I have heard the same exact thing from multiple current 3rd+4th year students there.

Reactions: 1 user
What you found on the pre-dent page (the quote by Manic324, not the Reddit post) is absolutely true. I have heard the same exact thing from multiple current 3rd+4th year students there.
Yeah it's very true and very sad that we probably won't graduate on time :(

That's real unfortunate man. I hope you and the rest of your classmates that are finishing late can finish before they make you register for another term

What year are you?
How many classmates would you say are having trouble graduating on time?

I'm sure this has been brought to the schools attention by now. How have they responded and what are they doing to resolve the issue?

I'm sure this has been brought to the schools attention by now. How have they responded and what are they doing to resolve the issue?
They responded by sending out an email telling students to "be proactive" and go out and recruit their own patients. They also added something like 30 international students to further overcrowd the clinics and increase their tuition revenue...

What year are you?
How many classmates would you say are having trouble graduating on time?
Around 1/3 last year couldn't get their requirements by graduation and it's even worse this year.

For exam schedule, I've had it both ways and I much prefer the block scheduling. We've had exam blocks for every semester except first year spring, and first year spring was my least favorite semester for that very reason. It's like I was never studying for classes currently going on but solely focusing on the class that had an exam next week. Whereas for exam blocks, you study really hard for a few weeks but then when it's over you get some downtime for a weekend or a few days and you don't really get as much of that with the weekly exams.

As far as graduating on time I have heard that some people on the second floor have trouble graduating because some of the PC's on that floor are sticklers about completely unnecessary things to the point where one of our professors won't go on he second floor anymore because he butts heads with the PC down there. That's just what I've heard. Also I've heard that people on the third and fourth floor have a much easier time getting clinical requirements because the PC's are much more laid back and only sticklers about the important issues. There are three floors for students to be in clinic, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I haven't gone into clinic yet so this is completely from hearsay on my part.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A lot of the info you read on here is just simply not true, also a first years experience of dental school is not a great representation of what's actually going on at the school. In first year at Tufts and I assume at BU and other dental schools you are primarily learning basic sciences and are taking a few dental related classes such as Dental Anatomy and learning the basics of how to operate a handpiece in operative.

Tufts is a very clinically oriented school, and in your 3rd and 4th years at Tufts you get a lot of clinically experience. There is a lot of requirements at tufts to ensure that all students get the experience they need to enter practice after graduation. My experience in the Tufts clinics was that there were a good amount of patients, and a good amount of QUALITY patients (patients will to pay for crowns, bridges, implants, endo, ect.). Also amongst the group practice set up at Tufts there is some degree of patient sharing that goes on to make sure that everyone gets everything that they need in time for graduation.

Tufts clinic is very hands off in a sense that you get a list of things you need to get done and if your an unmotivated person who needs to be babied, yes you could fall behind [and you can find those types at all schoools]. If you actually want to be seeing patients and to have patients you will have them at Tufts. IMO, it is only the people who didnt want to be there who weren't finished on time for graduation, with VERY VERY FEW (maybe 2-3 per class) that actually end up having to do another year in clinic. Tufts 2016 class set a record for most amount of Tufts students done by graduation, and I have heard that 2017 class is on pace to break that record.

One other difference that I know of between Tufts and other Boston schools [BU and Harvard] is that the other schools send you on exernships for 12 weeks compared to the 5 week externships at Tufts, and the other Boston schools allow the work done on externship to count towards requirements where tufts does not. Tufts reasoning behind that is they want to make sure you do a minimum amount of work done up to their standards.

As far as graduating on time I have heard that some people on the second floor have trouble graduating because some of the PC's on that floor are sticklers about completely unnecessary things to the point where one of our professors won't go on he second floor anymore because he butts heads with the PC down there.

2nd Floor PC's can be sticklers about things and can slow people down, but not by that significant amount. 2nd floor people just learn to live, deal, and work around certain things like a professor sitting there with you for 30 minutes making sure your clinic note is immaculate.