*Any* understanding for job, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jace's mom

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working 60 hours per week teaching school, taking OCHEM this semester, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, etc, plus I'm married with a family. I study every day for the MCAT (at least one hour and one chapter/practice set per day), but I'm still going to be very proud of myself if I pull off a 30. (I haven't taken physics in almost 8 years, for Pete's sake!)

My latest practice score (AAMC 3R, taken under "actual conditions") was a 26, and I'm pretty sure I'll earn at least that on the real thing. I would be quite happy to go to a DO school; in fact, my top pick is TCOM. I guess my question (plea, hope) is whether or not there might be even the slightest consideration for everything else I have going that prohibits me from studying all-out for the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, grad is 3.8...all I want is the interview...I can rock their socks off at the interview. 😎

I really do know that it's going to be okay, but I live and will apply in Texas, which is SO competitive. I think I'm just getting discouraged. Could we just wave a magic wand so that May 31st will already be over...and I could earn a 43? 😉

Any uplifting comments you might have for an old, tired (but extremely driven) nontrad would be helpful!
 
Those stats are good for DO schools, which also tend to be more sympathetic to non-trads. I seriously admire you for being able to juggle so many balls at once. You situation is something you can talk about in your essays and in interviews to help explain a lower MCAT. Aiming for just one med school is a risky gamble. I don't really know how sympathetic Texas MD schools are going to be towards your situation. If you apply broadly to a bunch of DO schools, I'd say you have a good shot.