Any US Public Health Service Pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falokis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was researching USPHS for a career when I finish school and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this program. I was checking to see if they had any scholarship programs like the regular military, but I'm unable to find anything like that. Anything you could share would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.usphs.gov/student

may be helpful.

Call the contact on the site if you'd like more information. There are scholarships where they pay about $30,000 towards your final year of school, and you pay back 2 months of service for every one month paid. You start as an O-3 Lieutenant. Your final year of pharmacy school, you would be an O-1 (Ensign). You can review the pay on any military site.

And depending on your sponsor and their need within BOP, IHS, FDA, etc... you may or may not receive additional monies. I am not exactly sure of this, but you would also be entitled to certain benefits (health, etc) with their SRCOSTEP scholarship.

Here's the disclaimer part:

As with any sort of scholarship, review the pros and cons of joining before you commit. USPHS is a uniformed service, so there are extra responsibilities beyond pharmacy (disaster preparedness and support, Federal pharmacy laws apply, UCMJ - only if stationed with the Coast Guard or a similar service, no facial hair, wear a uniform, etc.). Everyone I know to have been in the USPHS have liked their careers. But it's not for everybody.