Step II Any utility in retaking UWSA1 seven months later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StudentDoc91

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I took UWSA1 for Step 2 CK in March during my third year & unfortunately, I haven’t felt ready to take the exam because I feel like so much is riding on this so I’m still studying for this while doing 4th year electives.

The first time I took it, I scored a 207.

Now, it’s 7 months later & I can’t remember if I went over Form 1 when I did it but today I got a 249 when I did it. When I was taking it, in all honesty, I felt like I only remembered 4-5 questions. For everything else, I was like this is a hard exam & the whole time I felt like I didn’t know anything as per usual. It’s possible that I went over it the last time I took it with a score this high, but I truly don’t remember.

Does anyone have this kind of experience & think there’s any accuracy behind it? Or should I go back to the library & do an NBME instead to see where I’m at? I really don’t want to do form 2 until a week before my exam when I know for sure I’m not pushing the test date back anymore.

Thanks for any and all advice!
 
Last edited:
As a USMLE tutor, I sometimes recommend redoing an old exam if initially done a while ago. I think this likely represents an encouraging improvement. However, it is hard to say for sure. I would recommend doing some of the available NBMEs. They're not great at predicting your score, but are valuable overall. For example, if you took an NBME and got a 230-240, this would be further evidence your scores have gone up considerably. Best of luck!