any votes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a primary text Delissa or Braddom?

Members don't see this ad.

braddom- easier to read

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...Braddom is pitching a 6-0 shutout over DeLisa :)

Newest Braddom > Newest Delisa > Old Braddom

Bought New Delisa and felt it was better than old Braddom now like New Braddom best

As a primary text Delissa or Braddom?

I have a theory about this issue, so I'm going to test it out
here: I say that people favor whichever book was most
recently issued when they were starting PGY2 year. For me,
it's the Braddom, which just came out this year and I favor
Braddom. The people in my program in the two classes
above me all favor the DeLisa, and coincidentally (I don't
think so) the newest text issued when they started their
PGY2 years was DeLisa.

So according to my theory, entire classes of residents will
be favoring Braddom for the next few years until the next
edition of DeLisa is printed. The first PGY2 class to receive
the next DeLisa will favor that text over Braddom. And so on.

Back me up here, guys.

Or put me in my place, either way.

I tend to think that Braddom is just better, period. A lot of my mentors were involved in writing Delisa, so it is a hard thing for me to say, but Braddom is a better textbook.

The reason is that Randy Braddom personally rewrites every chapter to make sure they are readable. This makes for a far more comprehensible textbook.

The authors in both textbooks are universally excellent. However, not all of them are good writers. Randy Braddom is a good writer. This means that all of the chapters in Braddom are easily readable, but that is not true of the Delisa textbook. I believe this to be true of all the editions.

All that said, Delisa's textbook does have it's strengths. IMO, it is the more comprehensive textbook, and covers more topics. There are certainly many chapters in Delisa that are significantly better written than the corresponding chapters in Braddom. Ideally, you would have both textbooks. But given the choice of only one, I think Braddom is the better choice.