Any way for US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopingtoHeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently graduated with a B.A. in English and a 2.95 GPA. However, the last two years I have received all As and A-, it is early in my academic career that I shot my GPA in the foot. I received 2 Fs that I have since retaken in Accounting and Business Statistics, and a D+ in another random class. Is there anyway for me to revamp my undergrad GPA to a degree where I will be competitive for an allopathic school? I am prepared to do what it takes, but am just wondering if I have already doomed my admissions hopes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I recently graduated with a B.A. in English and a 2.95 GPA. However, the last two years I have received all As and A-, it is early in my academic career that I shot my GPA in the foot. I received 2 Fs that I have since retaken in Accounting and Business Statistics, and a D+ in another random class. Is there anyway for me to revamp my undergrad GPA to a degree where I will be competitive for an allopathic school? I am prepared to do what it takes, but am just wondering if I have already doomed my admissions hopes?

What is your MCAT score? Take a masters program. That way, you would at least have a good shot at DO school.

I haven't taken the MCAT, because I haven't taken the pre-requisite courses. I have only taken business calculus I and II, and received a B in both. I want to take all the prereq courses while staying at the high academic standard I have recently displayed, and then apply.

What is your MCAT score? Take a masters program. That way, you would at least have a good shot at DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
(I'm only a premed so take my advice with a grain of salt)

I would say you'll have a shot at an allopathic school if you do a post-bac (you'll have to in order to meet prereq requirements). Assuming you do stellar and have similar credit hours and you bring your GPA to a 3.4-3.5 and have the proper volunteering and clinical exposure, good LORs, and do reasonably well on the MCAT, you could potentially get into a mid tier medical school.

DO schools will calculate your GPA with your most recent grades for retaken courses, so you could potentially have a strong GPA in that avenue. MD is still a possibility if you rock your pre-reqs and get a great MCAT score.

I haven't taken the MCAT, because I haven't taken the pre-requisite courses. I have only taken business calculus I and II, and received a B in both. I want to take all the prereq courses while staying at the high academic standard I have recently displayed, and then apply.

Take a masters, do all the pre-reqs, it will bega boost your scientific GPA.

Thanks for the responses guys. It is just so darn frustrating trying to recover from a low GPA due to my lack of scholastic effort during my first two years of college! No one to blame but myself, however.

A master's degree won't affect your undergrad GPA at all. I don't suggest going that route. A spaecial master's program (SMP) might be a good way for you to prove that you can succeed in a med school curriculum, but I still think the retake-->DO track is a better bet.

you haven't taken ANY prereqs other than calc (which isn't really a prereq) so you still have tons of room to improve your GPA and your science GPA. Do a post bac and work really hard in it....if you get >= 3.7 and > 30 on the MCAT you'd probably have a good shot at an MD school. You won't have to retake anything as MilkmanAl is suggesting since you haven't even taken the courses in the first place.