Any way for US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopingtoHeal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I recently graduated with a B.A. in English and a 2.95 GPA. However, the last two years I have received all As and A-, it is early in my academic career that I shot my GPA in the foot. I received 2 Fs that I have since retaken in Accounting and Business Statistics, and a D+ in another random class. Is there anyway for me to revamp my undergrad GPA to a degree where I will be competitive for an allopathic school? I am prepared to do what it takes, but am just wondering if I have already doomed my admissions hopes?
 
Hello, I recently graduated with a B.A. in English and a 2.95 GPA. However, the last two years I have received all As and A-, it is early in my academic career that I shot my GPA in the foot. I received 2 Fs that I have since retaken in Accounting and Business Statistics, and a D+ in another random class. Is there anyway for me to revamp my undergrad GPA to a degree where I will be competitive for an allopathic school? I am prepared to do what it takes, but am just wondering if I have already doomed my admissions hopes?

What is your MCAT score? Take a masters program. That way, you would at least have a good shot at DO school.
 
I haven't taken the MCAT, because I haven't taken the pre-requisite courses. I have only taken business calculus I and II, and received a B in both. I want to take all the prereq courses while staying at the high academic standard I have recently displayed, and then apply.

What is your MCAT score? Take a masters program. That way, you would at least have a good shot at DO school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(I'm only a premed so take my advice with a grain of salt)

I would say you'll have a shot at an allopathic school if you do a post-bac (you'll have to in order to meet prereq requirements). Assuming you do stellar and have similar credit hours and you bring your GPA to a 3.4-3.5 and have the proper volunteering and clinical exposure, good LORs, and do reasonably well on the MCAT, you could potentially get into a mid tier medical school.
 
DO schools will calculate your GPA with your most recent grades for retaken courses, so you could potentially have a strong GPA in that avenue. MD is still a possibility if you rock your pre-reqs and get a great MCAT score.
 
I haven't taken the MCAT, because I haven't taken the pre-requisite courses. I have only taken business calculus I and II, and received a B in both. I want to take all the prereq courses while staying at the high academic standard I have recently displayed, and then apply.

Take a masters, do all the pre-reqs, it will bega boost your scientific GPA.
 
Thanks for the responses guys. It is just so darn frustrating trying to recover from a low GPA due to my lack of scholastic effort during my first two years of college! No one to blame but myself, however.
 
A master's degree won't affect your undergrad GPA at all. I don't suggest going that route. A spaecial master's program (SMP) might be a good way for you to prove that you can succeed in a med school curriculum, but I still think the retake-->DO track is a better bet.
 
you haven't taken ANY prereqs other than calc (which isn't really a prereq) so you still have tons of room to improve your GPA and your science GPA. Do a post bac and work really hard in it....if you get >= 3.7 and > 30 on the MCAT you'd probably have a good shot at an MD school. You won't have to retake anything as MilkmanAl is suggesting since you haven't even taken the courses in the first place.