any way to cushion my science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanaida10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This may be silly so I apologize in advance to anyone who finds this irritating. Is there any way to cushion my science gpa? BCMP GPA? I know that (gen chem, bios orgo, phy and calc 1) counts for most schools but if I took upper level sceince courses in this fields like inorganic ect... would this be included in the gpa calculations?

Obviously, Im doing this because I have a low science gpa...and I had a very emotionally rocky undergraduate experience which is all recorded with the University Mental Center, will this help my case at all?

Thanks,
Zani.

Members don't see this ad.

Any science classes (including upper level) are included in your science GPA, not just pre-reqs.

Any science classes (including upper level) are included in your science GPA, not just pre-reqs.

So anything would count? I read some advise online to cushion with simple science classes. Does it have to be hard-core i.e Vertebrate Anatomy type or would something like "Medicine and Law" or "Human Nutrition" count?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So anything would count? I read some advise online to cushion with simple science classes. Does it have to be hard-core i.e Vertebrate Anatomy type or would something like "Medicine and Law" or "Human Nutrition" count?

Thank you!!!

Well "Vertebrate Anatomy" would count, but "Medicine and Law" would not because it is a sociology-type course. Human Nutrition is tough to say, since it has a little bit of bio, but I think it wouldn't count because it's typically a health science course, not BCPM.

Just use your judgment. If a course is offered through the major science departments, it will count. Otherwise, a course could count based on the content of the class.

I'm curious - If AMCAS suspected one of your classes, would they ask for a syllabus for to find out about the content of the class?

Well "Vertebrate Anatomy" would count, but "Medicine and Law" would not because it is a sociology-type course. Human Nutrition is tough to say, since it has a little bit of bio, but I think it wouldn't count because it's typically a health science course, not BCPM.

Just use your judgment. If a course is offered through the major science departments, it will count. Otherwise, a course could count based on the content of the class.

Depends on the school- when I took Nutrition, I counted it as a BCPM since it was offered through the Biology department. If I'd taken the crosslisted version in Health and Human Services, I wouldn't have been able to count it as such.

everytime i sign up for a class, there's a brief description of the class along with what kind of credit it would count for. for example, im taking a two credit class this spring semester about the history of the oceans and it's a science class, therefor it would boost my science GPA

Thank you!!!

When you fill out the AMCAS, you classify courses based on their primary content. Therefore, V Anatomy would be classified as biology (and hence count towards BCPM). Human Nutrition would depend, if the course is designated as a biology course and that was it's primary content, it would also be classified on the AMCAS as biology and included in the BCPM. (I took a human nutrition class and classified it as bio).

Medicine and Law, which is probably not offered through a science department, and it's primary content is not BCPM-science in nature, would best be classified as sociology or something along those lines, and would therefore not be included in BCPM.