Any way to not sour relations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer, i wanted to do research so i sent many emails to different PIs. I got several interviews and ended up getting interested in a few. In particular, i had a PI give me a research protocol to look at to see if i was interested. I was, however the job was not paid. I was willing to take it unpaid, but i had a few more interviews so i waited to see if any would be better. Low and behold, i did get a paid one. The PI hired me on the spot, i couldn't even say anything.

I deliberated back home and decided that the paid option seemed better. This is my 1st year doing research and friends and family told me that a paid position in your 1st research year is very rare. However, the PI didn't even give me a research project, i was just told I would probably be doing something like data entry.

I have confirmed to accept the paid option, however i still want to maintain good relations with the unpaid option. I just sent an email offering to do some work during the summer during evenings/weekends and admitting i took the paid offer due to financial reasons (the unpaid PI did mention that he would understand if i wanted a paid option but at the time i said i was still interested in his position even though it was unpaid)?

Was that a good idea? Should i have just made a plain "rejection" or should i have done something different?

I feel bad that just a few months ago i was begging for a job and now i'm rejected PIs like i'm a med school admissions committee or something. I don't feel like i should be in a position to do this. I would do all the research projects if i could :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

That PI is not going to take it personally and doubt that they will have work for you on evenings and what not. I suggest being happy with what you have and that's it. Just tell the other PI that you appreciate the opportunity and would prefer his lab (if true), but that you had to go with the paid position due to financial needs.

This summer, i wanted to do research so i sent many emails to different PIs. I got several interviews and ended up getting interested in a few. In particular, i had a PI give me a research protocol to look at to see if i was interested. I was, however the job was not paid. I was willing to take it unpaid, but i had a few more interviews so i waited to see if any would be better. Low and behold, i did get a paid one. The PI hired me on the spot, i couldn't even say anything.

I deliberated back home and decided that the paid option seemed better. This is my 1st year doing research and friends and family told me that a paid position in your 1st research year is very rare. However, the PI didn't even give me a research project, i was just told I would probably be doing something like data entry.

I have confirmed to accept the paid option, however i still want to maintain good relations with the unpaid option. I just sent an email offering to do some work during the summer during evenings/weekends and admitting i took the paid offer due to financial reasons (the unpaid PI did mention that he would understand if i wanted a paid option but at the time i said i was still interested in his position even though it was unpaid)?

Was that a good idea? Should i have just made a plain "rejection" or should i have done something different?

I feel bad that just a few months ago i was begging for a job and now i'm rejected PIs like i'm a med school admissions committee or something. I don't feel like i should be in a position to do this. I would do all the research projects if i could :oops:

If you committed to the unpaid position, you should have stuck with the unpaid position. If finances were going to be an issue, you should have declined the unpaid position and waited for a paid opportunity.

No need to write a complicated letter. There isn't any nice way to explain that your integrity is worth a measly $5000 (or less). The unpaid PI will understand.